Carrying a Snake bite kit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a physio supply shop in the units where I started my business, we all shared bins, one thing that surprised me was that bandages dressings etc have expiry dates.

No I guess we should but we only carry a PLB, GPS and water. We have a snake bite kit in the bus but of course that could be too far away to be much use. Perhaps I should put a little kit like that in the quads.

Camelback ambush, holds 3lts of water and plenty room for emergency essentials, snacks and has loops for your bungy.
They is also a loop on the back where my pick lives
I run a Camelback set up too. Far superior to the minelab harness. Lower pocket is perfect for the 5000 type battery, and speakers, audio filters, bunjis, radio/gps will mount on the shoulder straps. Top pocket for snake bandages/other survival aids, and it carrys a respectable amount of water as a bonus. I used a soldering iron to melt holes at various locations to enable wiring to be run internally through the rig to keep things tidy.

Attachments

• 20230902_021515.jpg
    20230902_021515.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
I heard that nicotine patches are good for snake bites
Interesting just googled it and looks like there’s a bit of research into patches and vice versa with tobacco addiction.
Also came across this on trove from 1910.

Attachments

• IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 0
I never carry a snake bite kit, never have. Maybe I should.....but after 8 years running around in the bush in the Infantry, usually with a few hundred or even thousand other blokes, and a whole life of fishing, hunting,prospecting, and having only ever come accross 1 snake bite victim in all that time, and that was 1987, I have become complacent. Much more worried about getting lost due to heat exhaustion and dehydration than snake bite.
The only other bloke I know who was bitten by a snake was in his shed in the suburbs, not out bush.
Maybe I should chuck in a compression bandage....

I never carry a snake bite kit, never have. Maybe I should.....but after 8 years running around in the bush in the Infantry, usually with a few hundred or even thousand other blokes, and a whole life of fishing, hunting,prospecting, and having only ever come accross 1 snake bite victim in all that time, and that was 1987, I have become complacent. Much more worried about getting lost due to heat exhaustion and dehydration than snake bite.
The only other bloke I know who was bitten by a snake was in his shed in the suburbs, not out bush.
You need 2 and are ten dollars each. But need a stick to keep the limb stiff

Thanks Pat, I know a thing or two about snakes and snake bite.
It's a bit like quicksand.....always thought quicksand was going to be a major problem when I was growing up.

Yeah I grew up in a country town and we were always out in the bush, catching lizards etc, we rarely saw snakes let alone get close to being bitten. if you make enough noise while just walking they will be gone real quick.
I think the gators are a bit over the top but a first aid kit is a great idea.
You will only get bitten if you get too close and in all the years growing up in the bush and detecting in the bush... haven't even come close to let alone seen one in 10 yrs detecting.

Latest posts