Snakes around the house.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they could be using anything, ive had a go at a quite a few people that thought it was a good idea to spray a snake with stuff like WD40, weed spray, fly spray and also yelled at someone that thought it was ok to spray boiling water onto a snake..please please dont do this as it doesnt work and mostly all its going to do is annoy the snake then they prob just slide away and die in pain which in itself is just plain wrong..i had a bloke that grabbed a shovel when i was catching a snake so i told him to put it away or ill wrap it round his ears, he then worked out i wasnt joking..snakes have a job and they do it well even the venomous ones nad because they arent cute and cuddly people just want to kill them..
This puts some perspective into it:
https://files.ncis.org.au/2023-06/Fact sheet - FS20-01 - Animal-related deaths in Australia.pdfHands up who's more concerned about the bottom 4 than the top 4 😁

they could be using anything, ive had a go at a quite a few people that thought it was a good idea to spray a snake with stuff like WD40, weed spray, fly spray and also yelled at someone that thought it was ok to spray boiling water onto a snake..please please dont do this as it doesnt work and mostly all its going to do is annoy the snake then they prob just slide away and die in pain which in itself is just plain wrong..i had a bloke that grabbed a shovel when i was catching a snake so i told him to put it away or ill wrap it round his ears, he then worked out i wasnt joking..snakes have a job and they do it well even the venomous ones and because they arent cute and cuddly people just want to kill them..
They are professional snake catchers like yourself, the YouTube vids came from their website snake catcher Adelaide, what ever they are spraying they also use as a perimeter spray.

This puts some perspective into it:
https://files.ncis.org.au/2023-06/Fact sheet - FS20-01 - Animal-related deaths in Australia.pdfHands up who's more concerned about the bottom 4 than the top 4 😁
Finding dog tracks out bush always makes me more cautious than snake trails. I was quoting a job years ago and got bailed up by 3 ridgebacks, ended up on the roof of my car, I left my phone on the dash but was lucky that one of the neighbours seen my kicking the dogs away and rang the ranger. When the ranger arrived he called in backup. The ranger looked up the dog Regos all were registered as toy poodles.

A mates sister when I was in high school went to a riding ranch with her mum in the school holiday, the horse see was riding got spooked bucked her off and kicked in the face she nearly died, she spent time in intensive care and had to have a full face reconstruction.

So you can guess which list I’m more afraid of.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/1842921039241229 FB group. You'll get real advice from people who really know their stuff. They have lots of info sheets about managing your property, dealing with snakes, teaching kids how to react around them etc.
or ask me, i might be able to help, ive been a snake handler/catcher for 18 years o ive learned a few things.., i wouldnt identify a snake off a page like that, its just not safe and they dont have all the colours associated with each snake....

Finding dog tracks out bush always makes me more cautious than snake trails. I was quoting a job years ago and got bailed up by 3 ridgebacks, ended up on the roof of my car, I left my phone on the dash but was lucky that one of the neighbours seen my kicking the dogs away and rang the ranger. When the ranger arrived he called in backup. The ranger looked up the dog Regos all were registered as toy poodles.

A mates sister when I was in high school went to a riding ranch with her mum in the school holiday, the horse see was riding got spooked bucked her off and kicked in the face she nearly died, she spent time in intensive care and had to have a full face reconstruction.

So you can guess which list I’m more afraid of.
the wild dog packs round here are very bad atm, but bleading hearts being pains in the ass..

https://taswildlife.org/snake-bite-... to death is,should be refreshed each season.
https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/med...t,23686/polyvalent-australian-snake-antivenom

Mod edit:
CSL Ltd is the sole manufacturer of antivenoms for human use in Australia. Australian antivenoms are amongst the best in the world, in terms of purity and adverse reaction rate.
They must be stored & administered correctly under proper medical supervision.
*Do not buy products from overseas online sellers claiming to provide an effective Australian Anti Venom. The link removed was for overseas snakes requiring completely different treatment & the product isn't licensed for use in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I had never heard of it before either till it was told to me by an old resident in the town I live in (Cue WA).
If you have ever been to Cue you will know that it's fairly common to see snakes.
I too was a bit skeptical, but so far it seems to have worked, also seems to keep the Bungarra's away.
we have plenty of snakes here too, (Tin Can Bay), its a little fishing village with the first major town being 50kms away..and in between a whole heap of bush..so we get plenty of visitors coming around the houses looking for an easy feed..

Latest posts