Snakes around the house.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today my 5 year old grandson yelled out he saw a brown snake in the back yard of the house. We went and had a look for it, but couldn't find it. About 3 hours later, my daughter yelled out she'd seen a brown snake, about 1.5 metres long in the front yard. We looked for that one too, but couldn't find that one either. Due to the fact that we have our grandchildren here a lot, We don't want snakes around the house. Does anyone know how to trap them, or eliminate the risk of them biting anyone?

Today my 5 year old grandson yelled out he saw a brown snake in the back yard of the house. We went and had a look for it, but couldn't find it. About 3 hours later, my daughter yelled out she'd seen a brown snake, about 1.5 metres long in the front yard. We looked for that one too, but couldn't find that one either. Due to the fact that we have our grandchildren here a lot, We don't want snakes around the house. Does anyone know how to trap them, or eliminate the risk of them biting anyone?
You could try a snake whistle.
https://www.snakesaway.com.au/snake-info/snake-traps/

Probably the best method is to remove whatever is attracting them - food/water & shelter. Woodpiles, bird aviaries (which attract rodents then snakes), stacks of building materials/rocks, long grass, ponds etc.
Using snake repellers (vibration devices) & repellent (peppermint oil, cloves, various mixes, ammonia) from any report I've seen they aren't effective so save your money if considering them.

My grandparents used to put mothballs around their house, under the verandah. Not sure if they worked, but can't say I ever saw a snake there.
I think clearing the yard and maybe getting the traps suggested wouldn't hurt at all.

It's very worrying when they're around your young grandchildren playing in the yard. Do you have a snake kit handy, and know how to treat snakebites, just in case?

As far as I know it’s illegal to harm snakes.
One of my late mates labourers old man and two brothers were snake handlers and held reptile keeping licences. the youngest decided he wanted a brown snake for he’s collection of reptiles, without the old man’s knowledge, he drove out bush got one and got nicked on the hand through the pillow case. Needless to say he didn’t make it home.
I’d defiantly make some traps out of precaution and leave it up to the pros to risk their lives to relocated the neighbours.

It's not illegal to kill a snake that threatens your safety. I guess that applies to humans too. Self defence, it's called. I'm looking at traps on google etc. It mentions using poly pipes, bird netting etc. but doesn't explain how to make, or use them. Anyone here got any knowledge on how to make simple traps that I can make/use?

There was a post that disappeared I was referencing.
The link I attached has a YouTube vid of a guy making a trap out of aluminium fly screen, not to sure why when they sell traps but it’s basically a yabbie trap. I think same live bait in a baked bean tin with a heap off small holes drilled might also be an option.
I wish you luck.

There was a post that disappeared I was referencing.
The link I attached has a YouTube vid of a guy making a trap out of aluminium fly screen, not to sure why when they sell traps but it’s basically a yabbie trap. I think same live bait in a baked bean tin with a heap off small holes drilled might also be an option.
I wish you luck.
It's not illegal to kill a snake that threatens your safety. I guess that applies to humans too. Self defence, it's called. I'm looking at traps on google etc. It mentions using poly pipes, bird netting etc. but doesn't explain how to make, or use them. Anyone here got any knowledge on how to make simple traps that I can make/use?
theres no traps that work and def dont get those noise repellors, ive caught snakes wrapped around them, and dont kill them, its illegal to kill or move any snake, they come under the same laws as all wildlife..im a snake catcher of 19 years and i tell people this, you cant stop snakes coming into your yard , its impossible but you can still be safe by seeing them first.. Keep your lawn short, any palm fronds or wood piles, keep them at the furthest point of the yard.. Any plants around your house lift them up off the ground so you can see under them.. Look around your yard before you walk out into it or the kids go out into it and if you go out into it of a night time use a torch..if you have a snake in your yard dont try and kill or catch it leave it to the people that do it for a living.. REMEMBER THIS...you are a long time dead if you get it wrong... If you have to move snake use a hose, it gives you the distance so you dont get bitten.. If you are in biting distance keep still, it wont bite if you keep still as it cant see the movement to strike at..if you have any more questions just ask..

We use Phenyle, haven't had a snake since using.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=phenyle&sort=BoostOrder
Bit of a write up,

https://pestremovalwarrior.com/21-most-effective-home-remedies-to-get-rid-of-snakes/

We had a LOT of snakes about 3 years ago, coming from under house. I put 1 litre in about 3/4 of a plastic bucket and put around 3 sides of house, next day i did the remaining side.
Every 3-4 months i do the same now and around the garage and fence.
Seems to have worked as have not seen one since.

We had a LOT of snakes about 3 years ago, coming from under house. I put 1 litre in about 3/4 of a plastic bucket and put around 3 sides of house, next day i did the remaining side.
Every 3-4 months i do the same now and around the garage and fence.
Seems to have worked as have not seen one since.
ive never heard that one before but i wont say it doesnt work, you just never know...i get a lot of people saying thayve never had a snake in their yard before untill..... and get a real eye opener when i explain to them they def would have had a snake its just they never actually "saw" it..thats the diference..😅😂

Yep, I had never heard of it before either till it was told to me by an old resident in the town I live in (Cue WA).
If you have ever been to Cue you will know that it's fairly common to see snakes.
I too was a bit skeptical, but so far it seems to have worked, also seems to keep the Bungarra's away.

they could be using anything, ive had a go at a quite a few people that thought it was a good idea to spray a snake with stuff like WD40, weed spray, fly spray and also yelled at someone that thought it was ok to spray boiling water onto a snake..please please dont do this as it doesnt work and mostly all its going to do is annoy the snake then they prob just slide away and die in pain which in itself is just plain wrong..i had a bloke that grabbed a shovel when i was catching a snake so i told him to put it away or ill wrap it round his ears, he then worked out i wasnt joking..snakes have a job and they do it well even the venomous ones and because they arent cute and cuddly people just want to kill them..

Latest posts