Cairns Queensland (Qld) information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.
Internet should be up by weeks end.
So I will be studying the area like I'm going to be sitting an exam.
Will be great to catch up with you all for a day/weekend for a prospect and a beer.
Or just a beer over the wet.
The miners den will be something for me to explore as I took my pans, gold wheel and highbanker but had to leave so much in Melbourne
Time to get some more things
Cheers Kane

Gday kane, good to see your settling in well to cairns. Theres only so many places up here that you can prospect at as a day trip. Many more that require an overnight trip to get to. And its a challenge to find a spot between state forest, nat park and private land. Happy to catch up and share some knowledge, maps and a beer or two if you get stuck.
Also when your internet is up its worth downloading the qld google earth overlay that nugget has posted up on here, always fascinating to browse in the wet season.

Can anyone tell me if there are prospecting locations within a few hours of Cairns, Far North QLD - Thanks

I just moved up from Melbourne.
There are a few guys up here that are on the forum.
And Lee. That's funny!
I sure he got the answer. Short and direct. :p

Cheers mate
Might have to take you up on that offer for a beer soon enough

Hi Ailfinn,
Short answer is yes.
Long answer is yes, but it takes some work to find.
Best places to start are: Nq miners den over on Anderson St, he can set u up with gear, licences and maps so u don't get lost. Theres gold at Mt Mulligan out west of mareeba, $10 I think it is to spend the day hunting. Check out google too, read through old papers and look for past gold finds thatl point you to more places to dig.

Head down to the miners den at 9:30 Sat morning
There are a few of us heading down there for a chat and a coffee

Ailfinn said:
is there more to that answer to come?

Hi
My reply was short & direct for a reason, as there is sooooo much Gold Bearing ground within a few hours of you & you did ask a fairly open ended question.
Georgetown, Forsayth, Dimbulah, Mt Mulligan, Tyrconnel, Palmer River area, there are so many area's, I don't know too much about the area other than Forsayth, I would suggest you have a look at the ITRM site to get an idea of the area's where Gold has been found then concentrate on a specific area or 2 to research & gain access (this will be your biggest hurdle) hope this sheds some light on it, let us know what area you will concentrate on.
cheers
Lee

Howdy all,
Thought I'd say g'day . Live near Koah bin panning the local hills for a few years now, recently got my self a whites gold master. I have built a custom bazooka box to clarify materials prior to sluceing, all in all I've only been practicing and honing my skills. Lots of lil finds to date best being a 9 gm nugget... Most of the local gold comes from micro veins which remain elusive to find.. Would luv to trade info I spend a few days a week fossicking. Hoping to gain access to property near the palmer or hodgenson area.
1395028092_image.jpg

i'm going to be in Mackay for a few weeks
when i get back i would be more than happy to take you out for a day to help you where to start looking in the rivers and creeks
and also how to prefect your panning skills
i don't know to much of the area as i have not long moved up here
but do know what you need to be looking for
I'll send you a message when i get back and hopefully get out for a few hrs/day
cheers Kane

Hi Bushman, are you North or South of the Kennedy? There are a few streams your way that carry some colour, including the Barron!

Cheers, Tone

The Little Mulgrave river has some gold, and also Butchers ck runs off it and was rushed.
The Russel river holds gold but is a good hike in.
Some spots at the top of the Palmerstone Hwy, up the track on the left just past the lookout down
to the river, lookout for stinging trees..

Pete

Howdy , kuranda to mareeba is my hunting grounds. The fault runs through. I've studied up on local areas for years, I've been looking at north Johnston river. There's been nice nuggets found with other precious stones as well. As to the Barron river lotsa sml stuff, not much good. Where the closely river enters the Barron warrants a look. Been eye scouring after rain and finding 1/2 gram to 2 gram bits, use my hand to fan the sand n allow to clear n av a lookie. Always keen to go bush. Also been chasing crystals in the hills there are some beauties waiting to be picked up.
1395196889_image.jpg

Any ways I'm on face book Rodney Smith.

Gday rodney, those are some nice coloured points there, look a bit like topaz maybe?
Some people tell me the top of red bluff above the rail line is a good crystal field.
Just out of curiosity do you use a face mask in the creeks up there? Or are they only a few inches deep?

Latest posts