Cairns Queensland (Qld) information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone from cairns tried any spots around here with some luck?? Thinkin about venturing out next weekend on a golden adventure and any tips would be great :)

Gedday Goldenmile, and welcome to another NQ New Chum! .. Yes mate, there is gold in them there hills, even in the ranges and ravines within 20klm from the Cairns CBD! .. First thing though, give us a bit more detail on your level of experience and whether you plan to play in the water, .. panning, sluicing etc., .. or walk country, .. detecting.

You've come to the right place mate and we'll help where we can .... Even some of the folks from down south know a thing or two about the art! (I refuse to use smiley faces so Hahaha, said with tongue in cheek).

Go to 'Introduce Yourself' and give a little more detail. .. By doing so you will also be immediately welcomed and accepted by Bwana Nugget who can be a bit, well, 'thingy' about tidy housekeeping.

Good Luck from The Digger.

Hey mate. Well i have zero experience but thinkin about panning.. I go fishing alot in rivers and creeks and always cant help but think there is gold floatin around the waters.. Im keen and ready to get out there and start exploring!

G'day Goldenmile, I would head on over to the introduce yourself page and let people know a bit about yourself before jumping straight into it.

As Palmer Digger says, there is gold in them there hills, little bits of elusive gold. Try doing some research online and you will see plenty of places in the region that had gold...

Anyway, welcome, New Chum to New Chum

G'day Golden, have a look at the Resources and Info page, there a few good links to info you will need to know.

If you are going to pan, I would advise you to start with a basic black pan then when you get a bit of skill, invest in a Super Sluice pan.
I have been at this for about three months on and off and find the Super Sluice a great pan.

check out youtube for panning vids, a lot of the vids I have viewed are canadian or american, but gold is gold the world over, principles apply here as much as anywhere.
There are some very experienced panners and prospectors on this form who will give you all the advise you need.

Hi goldenmile,

I walked the line and found a half gram nugget in the barron river just last year i had no pan or detector just scatching roound like an o :( ld chook it was wedged in a crevis witch was about 2 foot off the creek bed floor and at the top of the crevis
I took a dector back there but ti much iron bars n boltz and old railway tracks

good luck andhope ufind the big one i left there.

Cheers brad

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Ill be venturing out next weekend and will let you all know how my aventure goes :)

Have a chat to George at NQ Miners Den on anderson St Manunda. he canl set you up with what you need to get started. He is an experienced prospect ;) or and will share some of his experience with you.

As soon as this rain decides to stop im headin straight out to explore. Been raining every day up here for a week.

Got atrip planned for cairns area , some jungle perch fishing and hopefully some detecting . My friend has some gov metal maps . But was wondering if anybody has some semi flogged sites or are from that area and wouldn't mind helping a newbie out . Just out for fun , and since we have 4wd and a week off , time to location not important. Any tips would be good, having a bit of trouble finding much about the area...
Much thanks
Barney

Hiya,
Please check out my post in intro and I think I put a new topic in on of the forums.. I'm in Port Douglas and my Dad is visiting. He loves to fossick and I would be really happy is anyone could offer some areas we can try or if you're headed out on an adventure and wouldn't mind a couple of tag alongs, we'd sure appreciate it. Looking at early to mid Sept.
Cheers guys

As I am new to this side of the country. ( from Vic )
And don't have my computer set up yet
Need some help on where a man can go prospecting.
Any help on the area would be great.
Cheers Kane.

Kane, be aware that crocodiles are meat eaters and extremely intelligent hunters. On that note it'd make you wonder how many water edge targets there would be, or would the best spots be in the grass a safe distance from any waters edge. Something to let the old grey matter chew over for a bit before you go in all gung ho in your cooler weather waders that you all use in winter in Victoria(or have I got that wrong).Anyway, as long as you remember that crocs bite, and that they will plunge up onto the bank to improve their menu options
you'll be A O K.

G'day Kane, welcome to Cairns. There are a few places around here but with the rain the water will be up a bit so we are very limited with where we can go. West of here there are a few places like Mount Mulligan and Tyrconnel which are ok for a day trip or camping. Will try to put you onto a spot close by in the near future. Cheers, Rick

Gedday again Kane .. Hope you're settling in mate. As Rick said, the wet season (the Tourism industry prefers that we refer to it as the 'Green Season'), tends to slow us down a bit .. ay.
And of course and bugger it, the Monsoon Trough looks as if it's about move back in over the Cape so wet, wet, wet for a while yet! .. So spend some time pouring over a few maps and doing a bit of the old learning curve research.

My best tip for you at the moment, if you haven't already, would be to go and have a yarn with George Mayer at the North Qld Miners Den on Anderson Street .. George is a great bloke and has been in the business and supporting local prospectors for some 28 years or so and he's definitely someone you need to get to know .. He will probably lever a few bucks out of your wallet in exchange for some of the great reference material he stocks .. It'll be worth it.

Good luck, and look forward to a bit of a get-together when things dry out.

Hi Kane. As the guys have said the wet slows things down a few months this time of the year. Have to catch up n have a chat.

Tone

Latest posts