Builds By Baz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baz, your creations are the coolest! The Iron Man suit is probably the best in my opinion, as I can imagine the kids being blown away to see Iron Man walk through the door!

Thanks PA crew. I dunno what I would do in lockdown if I didn't have my workshop set up just in the nick of time. I've worked very hard to build this shed, create my own space, then fill it with projects, machinery and tooling I need to keep these hands busy.

One of my main aims in all of this, is to encourage others to have a go and, "Just build it".

If I had listened to anyone telling me I can't do that and that I don't have any trades or training, then I'd be sitting in an office in front of a computer and phone, staring at the same four walls every day for the rest of my life. What a boring, slow way to die inside while you wait to die for real.

Can't weld? Buy a welder, invent a project and learn on the fly, it might be ugly, but it will stick. Next time it will stick better and be prettier. Keep at it.

Can't build your childhood dream of a life-sized Viper from Battlestar Galactica? Bullshit! Watch me.

In today's flood of world depression, PTSD, suicide, anxiety, fear, oppression, paranoia and all the other hopeless states of being, these sort of things can give you a reason to get out of bed in the morning. A reason to look forward to going home at the end of a work day. A feeling of self-worth, achievement and contribution to the world.

Dream big. Go build something.

Go.

Baz.

Too right, Baz! You have to stay engaged in something. For me, it's multiple things (prospecting, woodwork, photography and more).

Mate, given you're an engineer, can I ask if you have any advice on how I might build my own rock tumbler?

Phil8303 said:
Too right, Baz! You have to stay engaged in something. For me, it's multiple things (prospecting, woodwork, photography and more).

Mate, given you're an engineer, can I ask if you have any advice on how I might build my own rock tumbler?

Ahh, but that's just it mate. I'm not an engineer. Ive never done anything but a general machining course over a few Friday nights at TAFE about 15 years ago. Forgotten most of that.

I just use what's around me. Grab a steel 20 litre drum, some stainless gutter guard, some PVC pipe, a 12VDC motor and car battery, welder, some 20x20 square steel tube and go for it. Make one out of cardboard on the kitchen table first. Use masking tape and hot glue. Prototyping in cardboard is cheap, educational and a whole lot of fun.

Baz.

Phil8303 said:

I actually read that as trommel for some reason.

Rock tumbler: 100mm PVC pipe and end caps, three blocks of pine, a drill and a lacky band. Go from there.

peoi40z.jpg

Sandbagger said:
Phil8303 said:

Rock tumbler: 100mm PVC pipe and end caps, three blocks of pine, a drill and a lacky band. Go from there.

https://i.imgur.com/peoi40z.jpg?1

I like your "have a go attitude", but the Ozito wouldn't last for long as they have a very low duty cycle and crap out very fast. But the Ozito or any drill would test the various ideas out fine.

Rob P.

PabloP said:
Sandbagger said:
Phil8303 said:

https://i.imgur.com/peoi40z.jpg?1

I like your "have a go attitude", but the Ozito wouldn't last for long as they have a very low duty cycle and crap out very fast. But the Ozito or any drill would test the various ideas out fine.

Rob P.

I've had my ozito for years and it's outlasted my bosch, dewalt and makita tools. Had as black and decker from bunnings once, that lasted me 25 years.

It's been a big weekend. Both wing frames welded up. One wing and 30mm mass accelerator cannon mounted. Once it's all finished, I'll take it off, stack it against the back wall and push the Viper over to the other side of the shed to mount the other wing and gun.

The end is so close I can taste it!

DgVQwsd.jpg

biGoHzQ.jpg

HIUPqro.jpg

573C987.jpg

What are you going to do with it once it is finished mate? We have a bloke up here that made a massive laughing kookaburra which he drags around the state on a very big trailer. Is this your plan?
Mackka

Latest posts