Bruce Highway-Gympie to Cairns

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
I am spending a few slow days travelling from Gympie to Cairns on the Bruce highway. Does anybody have any good stop offs they could share so I can get some down time and hopefully find some colour or gems. I've only a pan and sieve so won't be doing any major work just excited about fossicking in new places.

Cheers

Don't get eaten by salt water crocks :eek:
they been seen as far South as the Mary River Gympie. :Y:

The saltwater crocodile is the largest living reptile species. ... 18 mph (24 to 29 km/h) in short bursts, around three times as fast as the fastest human swimmers. :( :poop:

silver said:
Don't get eaten by salt water crocks :eek:
they been seen as far South as the Mary River Gympie. :Y:

Actually they have been sighted sunbaking on a Caloundra boat ramp last year...
And on the same week, We were camping at a boat only camping spot at Bribie and noticed this log thing quite a distance away and when a boat passed it, it disappeared ... :|

No swimming on the west side of Bribie for me... :argh:

Just one of many sightings... https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/croc-sighting-in-sunshine-coast-creek/3128151/

LW....

Plenty of dugongs in that area ....And the goies are as big as a small croc .But wouldnt worry about any real crocs in the area..ol: :lol:

Could have been a floating Dugong We saw... It was a fair distance away.... So I can't say for sure...
We mentioned it in a shop at the boat ramp at Bribie and they were the ones who told us about the croc sightings...
It wouldn't surprise me that they are there...
Everything is slowly moving south..

LW....

LoneWolf said:
We get invaded every year from Mexicans.... :lol: :lol:

LW....

It's a global warming thing :) we just don't like humidity and sweaty palms :lol: that's why we leave you alone during our summer :D

So I'm guessing no spots haha. Where can I see the dugongs.
Just north of Gympie around Tiaro are 9 active salty croc nests according to the Mary River Conservation Group.
Be more worries about the little iraganji jelly fish heading south but.

jaredj7 said:
Hi
I am spending a few slow days travelling from Gympie to Cairns on the Bruce highway. Does anybody have any good stop offs they could share so I can get some down time and hopefully find some colour or gems. I've only a pan and sieve so won't be doing any major work just excited about fossicking in new places.

Cheers
There's a few old goldfields around Rockhampton; New Zealand Gully, Gavial Gully/Crocodile Creek, Rosewood, Canoona; but I can't help you with access up there (private or public property etc.).
I do remember reading about some reasonable gold finds with detectors at Canoona & from memory the Bruce Highway dissects that goldfield? Not sure? It might be a start for some research though?
(http://www.treasureenterprises.com/Gold Prospecting Information/Gold_Occurrences_in_Central_Qld.htm)
Sorry link won't work - copy & paste the text in brackets above.

About 20 or so years ago we used to fish for Barramundi on the run out tide in what we knew as Gavial Creek? Not sure if it's the gold bearing Gavial referred to above but it was accessible (or back then at least close to the Fitzroy was for fishing). Wasn't into gold back then.
P.s. & yes there are some big crocs in the Fitzroy + it's tributaries.

Good luck with it & would be interested in how you go if you get to chase some gold!

Latest posts