Bridle track NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking at doing a little prospecting with my two young boys who are 8 and 6. We live in Mudgee and I was wondering if there was any gold along the bridal track? I would be coming in from hill end so would look at camping along the Turon.
Any info would be great
Regards Mitch

Hi Mitch,
There is gold to be found along the Bridle Track.
There's a number of camping reserves along the Turon so plenty of spots to camp & do some panning.
It might also be worthwhile doing a tour with Jhob Drinkwater at Hill End (assuming you're new to gold fossicking). https://www.visitnsw.com/things-to-do/tours/jhobs-gold-panning-tours

Hi Matt, cheers for that. Yeah I’m totally new to prospecting. Just brought myself a little river sluice and a pan. Just looking to find a little bit for the kids to get excited about and maybe a little nugget for me to be excited about haha
Regards Mitch

Cheers mate, I might book a tour with JHob in the near future. I have camped at Turon crossing and Mary Flynn before but only camping and fishing, never panned before. Any parts of the river you recommend without giving away all your secrets??
Regards Mitch

Cheers mate, I might book a tour with JHob in the near future. I have camped at Turon crossing and Mary Flynn before but only camping and fishing, never panned before. Any parts of the river you recommend without giving away all your secrets??
Regards Mitch
I haven't done a great deal of panning down there so can't recommend any surefire spots.
I don't make it past Hill End mostly & last time on the Bridle Track was only for a drive.
My time these days is spent detecting & to be honest, while there is gold along the Bridle Track, I think around Hill End/Tambaroora would be an easier first up option. With some time with Jhob you'd go ok & get some colour, his father is Malcolm Drinkwater who owns History Hill Museum + written a few books on Hill End.

Latest posts