Boots for Prospecting, Hiking, Detecting information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tradies, truckies etc in years past, swear by one of the following 3 brands;

Redbacks ($100), Blundstones ($70) or Rossi ($80). (approx. pricing) They are all elastic sided pull on, but make sure to get the soft toe, none safety boot version

I've tried all 3 on and for me, found the Rossi the most comfortable.

I believe Blundstones are now made in China, Redbacks say they are 100% Australian made and Rossi is made in Australia (Adelaide).

They all come in at about $100 or less.

N.B. Use leather dressing on them rather than shoe polish, liberally applied and you'll get years of service, plus it helps waterproof the leather.

mbasko said:
I had some very similar to those but can't remeber if they were that brand? The zip was metal but you had to pretty much try to detect it & it wasn't a big issue. The issue was the zip failed before the boots so they are now at the tip.
Another set I got early on were supposed to be metal free/airport safe but the "composite toe" gives a loud signal. They are a pain & I often pick them up while detecting normally.

I have just got a set of Oliver ATS boots ($137) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oliver-A...=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item644caf4da8

Haven't had them out detecting yet but they feel very comfy.

People swear by the Redback boots https://www.cwpsupplies.com.au/product-category/redback-boots/
I prefer lace ups for uneven ground due to a few ankle injuries.

No worries, I had a pair similiar to the olivers in your link, but the upper eyelet tab thingymajigs are metal. So i thought i need all the help I can get and would get rid of the metal.
I like the ankle protection for climbing around the bush, rocks, snakes and trucks and the slip-on style work boots dont do it for me. These Altama are USA made and not chinese, so hopefully they will be good quality. I googled some reviews and they were pretty good and the top strap hopefully will help support the zipper.

Apparently they are good for running and tactical ops.... so I can run and evade the snakes :lol:

Hopefully they will be here early next week and will know how they are then.

Cheers

This is what i wear and have been very happy with.
http://www.hippocketworkwear.com.au...boots-men-s/l-up-high-cut-black-comp-toe.html
at_45-665c_hr_1.jpg

Hi Braggy
If you do a search on boots you'll find this topic already addressed.
I was thinking the same thing recently and took the advise of others on PA and bought a pair of Oliver's AT 45645 and wore them for the first time yesterday. They are brilliant. Very robust and very comfortable. I only wore them for the 2nd half of the day, being new, but could have worn them all day. No steel what so ever. Bit expensive at $175, but these things are made to last.
Cheers Andy

If you want work type slip on, there are Blundstone, Redwing and Rossi, these have been the standard for years.

The first 2 are now made in China, Rossi are still Australian made. Make sure they are not safety boots with steel caps.

I've been using Mongrels for about 20 years, get 4-5 years out of a pair with full time use. soft cussion sole for hard ground, come in elastic , lace, zipper. Very water proof and never had the sole separate or split; I wear the sole off them.

I actually wear my snow boots from Aldi. I think they were 40 bucks. Waterproof, not hot on the feet and they keep the sand or dirt out.

Rossi are the go..they are cut so they are easy to put on..my blunnies are really tight at the top and are a pain to put on and off..and the Rossi,s slip on so easy..tough as nails,cannot wear them out. Aust made..

I will also put in my vote for Rossi boots. Reasonable price, tough, comfortable, no metal at all used in manufacture and made by an Aussie company in Aust. Available through Elders and other country stores.

If you have a pin pointer take it with you when your looking to purchase. I purchased a pair of Steel Blue was told no metal (Full composite) it's BS as the zip tag has a stainless (Black in colour) spring steel clip holding it in place. I didn't have my pin pointer with me at the time but did have a magnet, stainless obviously doesn't stick to a magnet.

Oliver AT's are good I prefer lace up due to bad ankle but also use Rossi, Rossi are available at Bunnings. I purchased the Oliver's and Steel Blue from a work wear outlet.

Due to industry demand so I've been told, Oliver's now make there lace up's with zip side. I haven't tried these and not sure of how the zip is put together.

I like any kind of gum boots in winter, knee high cut. It's the only thing that'll allow me to keep my feet dry walking through mud and creeks. Summer time I like the Blundstones or Rossi slip in boots. Definitely some tough boots for the price. Lace ups for me have been a hassle in the bush. More to go wrong and too many points get snagged on.

If you buy leather boots, regularly apply leather dressing to keep the leather in good condition. all I do is wash the mud and dirt off, let them dry then liberally apply the dressing. My Rossi boots are years old, I think they'll outlast me :)

RM Outback said:
Due to industry demand so I've been told, Oliver's now make there lace up's with zip side. I haven't tried these and not sure of how the zip is put together.
Yes, they are the ones I have, the zip is plastic, no metal, and is fine with the Z or SDC, neither of them pick up anything

Latest posts