Blackwood & greendale victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering if anybody has had any luck prospecting in the greendale or Blackwood areas lately?
I'm thinking of having abit of a look down that way soon and just wondering where would be a good place to start..
Cheers,,

Blackwood came and went very quickly in the 1850's rush as far as I have read, not sure about Greendale have not read anything much about it. I know "the usual suspect" areas are where most concentrate their energy these days, proven grounds looking for what the old timers didn't find :)

The Lerderderg River that runs through Blackwood is Heritage listed too and we prospectors are off limits in there.

I might just take a drive up to Blackwood and have abit of a look around..my friend and I are new to the prospecting game so it's just abit fun for us really..hopefully we run into somebody who knows the area that will point us in the right direction:)

I have spent some time up in Daylesford and had good results in various sections of Sailors Creek if that helps, lack of water is an issue at the moment though..

Are you into detecting or panning?

Plenty of good spots around Greendale and Blackwood terrain a bit steep in places and the going can be rough stay out of the parks and you'll be ok.

We Will be doing abit of both.. I don't mind the rough terrain,, hopefully it means less people have worked the mountain goat country over...

Always drove past going to geelong just
looked like its too steep alright might give
it a crack for someplace different. Mines
look cool .

It's on Golden Point Road Blackwood on the left hand side heading east after you cross Lerderderg River.

This area is in my interest area. I've been poking around on my motorbike looking for old mines..just for a sticky nose I'll follow this there'd closely.

Great photos dean. Do you know the names of those mines?

Not sure if they have a name. Be very careful when you explore old mines. You don't want to fall down a shaft 200 metres deep.

I found one mine all barb wired by bullarto gold in wombat state forest. I'll post pics when I'm next on my comp.

Hey Dean is that Bill birthday shaft that you have photographed.
regards deepblue

Latest posts