Best Metal Detector to start with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Heatho asked whats your budget? You can pick up a garrett atx for around $2500-$3000 second hand. I know of a minelab 3500 for sale for $2500.

As Heatho asked what budge there are many detector that will do the job, most of the newer M/L are more efficient than the older mine lab detector but they all will find gold regards john :)

Thanks Mike .... Ill be sure to factor in training in the purchase..... I also came across a couple of people in Brisbane who sell or distribute the GPX models and do some courses up around Warwick so Im looking into that as well.. Thanks for the advice, its definitely going to be taken... :)

condor22 said:
Lisa

I bought my 5000 from Coiltek, but the thing that I found helpful is that they threw a full day training in with the sale. The training is done my people living in the goldfields, conducted in the goldfields that I detect.

I did a day here in Adelaide when I got a Eureka Gold 2 years ago, the detector didn't do what I wanted when I got to Victoria and the training not anywhere near as good.

I found the training by Coiltek to be like chalk and cheese in comparison. On my 1st trip last year with the 5000 I bought (traded the Eureka) I got me 6 pieces of gold.

Cheers Mike

As a beginner and hobbyist gold prospector you can't go pass the SDC 2300. As a hobby operator i couldn't advise to you to buy a new machine due to cost, but as the other fellows said look out for a good second hand unit.

Yes, That would be a great idea to hire one for your first trip. You are going to learn so much on your first trip and that will give you a better understanding about gold prospecting and gives you a chance to see if the hobby is for you. :)

Lisa_Larriane said:
Heatho said:
Keep an eye on the for sale section 1 sold the other day for $2500, a real bargain.

Notice there is a package deal on ebay for both the SDC2300 and the GPX5000 ... For $8000 free postage.... Is this a good deal or about the norm....

My dad wants one too..... Thinking I'll talk him into buying both ;)

Went to Miners Den in Mitcham Vic this morning and they still have the GPX5000/SDC2300 deal until the end of the month. Give them a call if you want one as it's a great deal.

Hi,

I've become intrigued by metal detecting videos. It looks like a lot of fun but I'm completely ignorant about the subject.
Some advice on a first detector that won't break the bank but will be good enough to enjoy would be greatly appreciated.
I'd want to do some beach and general relic detecting.
I'm in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.

Thanks.

Welcome mate, detectors for beach and relics dont brake the bank , lol GOLD detector`s brake the bank
Brand new detectors like Makro Racer and Nokta Fors CoRe are around a Grand brand new
Anyway start searching around here and assk plenty of Questions and you will learn heaps in a short time

Cheers Dave

Hi Scavenger, welcome to the forum. If you can post up the max amount for your budget, that will help memebrs narrow down a list of possible choice for you.

I moved your post into the metal detector section, as you should get more feedback here than in the finds section. :)

Thanks guys.

I don't really have a particular budget as such, but being self funded retirees, and not sure if the interest will last I'd like to start as cheap as I can without buying rubbish.

I had thought the minelab go find 60 sounded good but after reading some comments here I'm not so sure.

Rmorgs said:
I am in north suburbs of melbourne where do i goto buy and learn more
?

Welcome Rmorgs,

Have a bit of a look around the forum and you will find what you seek ;)

There's just about everything you ever wanted to know, plus more, right at your finger tips :)

Au Fever

Latest posts