Best Metal Detector to start with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone

As someone who knows nothing about detectors and wanting to get into it, but i also want to have a good experience and this means to me (("being able to use it with some ease and understand it and also being able to find gold of all sizes but must be able to find small stuff with it is a must"))
otherwise the chances are I'll lose interest in this hobby so i want to give myself every chance to enjoy this experience.
I know people have their own preferences in detectors, but i'm just wanting help to choose something that Dose work and fits into what I've asked
in brackets above. So some useful help and advice on what i should look at to buy will be GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED.

Cheers Brett

Need your price point for a detector. Also if not finding gold quickly will make you lose interest quickly, find another hobby. Buying a detector is an investment.

Hey mate,

Buy the latest model minelab PI you can afford, so if price isnt an issue go for a GPX5000, if price is an issue work back from there-GPX 4500,4000, GP 3500, 3000, extreme, etc. Personally i started with a GP extreme which aint a bad detector but finds were few and far between- since upgrading to my GPX5000 i get gold 99% of the time (all small, mainly sub grammers), if i had my time again i would have gone with the 5000 straight away- i would be ounces ahead of where i am now if i had. The new SDC 2300 coming out may be a good option for you aswell if you are happy chasing the smaller stuff. Good luck with what ever you chose. :)

Seeing as you haven't specified a budget and based on the fact that you want the best possible chance of finding gold of all sizes, I recommend getting yourself a top end Minelab (AKA GPX series). You could possibly get away with a Garrett ATX however the results appear to vary greatly with this machine, either way it's worth a look in for sure.

More information such as budget, where you intend on detecting and how often will help to determine a suitable model.

Ok I think I get it, you may be looking for a detector that will find gold, being able to use without having to read 100 pages of info and photo memorize each topic...can find the big stuff and the small stuff....

F1A4 if your price point is low, SD series 2200 model......then the more modern alternatives....but they all start to get more complicated.

Hi Dirtdiggin, first up welcome to the forum.
I'm by no means an expert but in that range you may be able to pick up a good secondhand detector, the lower end Minelab, Whites etc. or what's clades as a "coin/relic/treasure" detector Xterra 705 or similar.
As you're starting from scratch unless you're extremely knowledgable, or lucky the chances on finding a patch of dirt that has not been detected is low (I'm yet to come across an area that someone hasn't checked out previously) but there is always some gold left behind!!
May be better to try one or 2 of the tours with tuition to see how you really like it, you can rent high end detectors, and as well as teaching you how to use them you'll also pick up some good pointers on where to look. If you take to it like a duck to water then save up and buy the best you can afford.
Panning/Highbanking or Drywashing are also slightly cheaper option and will assist in teaching you where to look.
Good Luck, Tom

Welcome aboard.

Spend $400 on a sluice and buy a used whites GMT for another $600 from the USA but
get Jimmy or a whites dealer to check thee serial first.

If you are left with change get a gold pan.

There are different ways looking for gold and I mentioned 2.

I just purchased a GMT though I am yet to test mine I am happy with the gmt target response and it cost me
$550 aus delivered from the USA.,The GMT is sensitive to the tiny nuggets and there are more tiny nuggets than the larger ones.

With whats set to be launched in the coming 18 months (detector wise) I would not spend $5000
plus on a gold pi detector (because the 2nd hand detector market may drop further) unless the gold fields are
only 30 minutes from where you live.

Do some research and take it from there.

Cheers Wolfau

And thanks guys i have a sluice and pan so it just looks like i need a detector. I appreciate everyone's help and advice and yer i know that the best comes with a cost but as beginner i just can't afford that top line price and from what I've read some of these take a bit of getting use to even for a seasoned operator, but i need to start somewhere with something i can understand and use and this equals enjoyment to me.
So thanks for your input and keep it coming .

Cheers Brett

Ok so I'm super excited planning my first trip prospecting trip and am looking at whether I should hire or purchase a detector.... My dad said I should buy the most expensive detector I can afford.... I guess I want to give finding something a real go.... So would appreciate recommendations on gold detectors ..... Also is there anyone in the Brisbane area that I can get a lesson from?

Thanks in advance :)

G'day Lisa, at the moment the SDC2300 is the perfect detector for a beginner, it's very easy to use, quite light, perfect to learn detecting technique and finds the Gold more often than not in the right spot. Others such as the GPX or future models may suit you if you decide to upgrade later.

The GPX 5000 or 4500 are still the best without doubt but are very serious detectors and can take a while to learn.

Heatho said:
G'day Lisa, at the moment the SDC2300 is the perfect detector for a beginner, it's very easy to use, quite light, perfect to learn detecting technique and finds the Gold more often than not in the right spot. Others such as the GPX or future models may suit you if you decide to upgrade later.

The GPX 5000 or 4500 are still the best without doubt but are very serious detectors and can take a while to learn.

Thanks Heatho..... I'll definitely look into that..... Also try and get some hands on time with some and see what's going to be easiest.....

Heatho said:
Keep an eye on the for sale section 1 sold the other day for $2500, a real bargain.

Notice there is a package deal on ebay for both the SDC2300 and the GPX5000 ... For $8000 free postage.... Is this a good deal or about the norm....

My dad wants one too..... Thinking I'll talk him into buying both ;)

Hey Lisa, that special should have ended on the 31stDec, I'd be very wary purchasing on Ebay as there are a lot of fakes and they are useless compared to the genuine item. I'd buy one from a trusted member on the forum 2nd hand or buy from a registered dealer of Minelab detectors.

They are about $4000 new and will have a 2 year warranty, the warranty transfers over to 2nd hand buyers, just be sure to ask for serial numbers and check with minelab if buying 2nd hand from a non trusted source.

Lisa, the other option is to look around some of the dealers for a second hand GPX4000, 4500, 4800 or 5000

Coiltek in Maryborough VIV post their prices online. That doesn't mean they have stock, but if not in a hurry, they can reserve one.

GPX4000 - $3,400
GPX4500 - $4,200
GPX5000 - $5,400

Their prices new are

GPX4800 - $4,900
GPX5000 - $6,450
SDC2300 - $3,999

They are also still showing the combined deal at $7,999 even though the cut off was 31/12/14, might be worth a phone call to them.

What part of OZ are you?

I'm in Brisbane and my dad is in Manilla..... I Forwarded him the details on the combined deal, but will send him Colitek info too.... I'm pretty sure he will buy the Gpx 5000 I'm just trying to get him to buy the SDC2300 for me too ;) .........
Currently Internet searching all I can on the best place to have a go...... It seems the golden triangle in Vic might be a good place to start and get used to the equipment.... The fact that so many of you have mentioned how addictive this hobby is gives me great hopes..... :)

condor22 said:
Lisa, the other option is to look around some of the dealers for a second hand GPX4000, 4500, 4800 or 5000

Coiltek in Maryborough VIV post their prices online. That doesn't mean they have stock, but if not in a hurry, they can reserve one.

GPX4000 - $3,400
GPX4500 - $4,200
GPX5000 - $5,400

Their prices new are

GPX4800 - $4,900
GPX5000 - $6,450
SDC2300 - $3,999

They are also still showing the combined deal at $7,999 even though the cut off was 31/12/14, might be worth a phone call to them.

What part of OZ are you?

Lisa

I bought my 5000 from Coiltek, but the thing that I found helpful is that they threw a full day training in with the sale. The training is done my people living in the goldfields, conducted in the goldfields that I detect.

I did a day here in Adelaide when I got a Eureka Gold 2 years ago, the detector didn't do what I wanted when I got to Victoria and the training not anywhere near as good.

I found the training by Coiltek to be like chalk and cheese in comparison. On my 1st trip last year with the 5000 I bought (traded the Eureka) I got me 6 pieces of gold.

Cheers Mike

Just wondering what detectors to look at I'm just starting out don't want to go all out but want to look at something nice for gold any suggestions would be helpfull thanks

What's your budget? The SDC2300 is excellent though pricey, plenty of other options but the SDC is perfect as a beginners Gold detector.

Latest posts