Best Metal Detector to start with?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of options but some popular ones under $1000 seem to be:

Minelab Xterra 705 Dual pack
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Whites MXT E-Series

I don't have any of these but read a fair bit about them all when researching before deciding on a mainly gold machine in the Whites GMT. They all read well & have seen some good stories etc. on forums about each of them. Some other forum members may be able to add their experience/s with these & probably add some more.

Good luck - lots to think about & research.

I have an AT Pro, its a great machine and waterproof to boot. I have had it out under all conditions and it continues to find some nice things, it also paid itself off in 7-8 months. Its my go to detector as it lives in the car and i even put the CTX3030 away sometimes and pull the AT Pro out when i am away for a hunt.

My AT Pro lives in the car, it had a NEL 12" Hunter coil on it these days with SunRay Pro Gold headphones, a great combination.

As previously mentioned, the AT Pro sounds like a suitable choice based on your needs. They're a popular choice among coin shooters and offer great value for money.

I trust you blokes so im going to get the AT PRO, If Detect a Den has one in stock and is open tommoro Im going to pick one up.

Great choice Matt, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. If you need any advice or info on it lets us know, there's plenty of Pro users floating around the forum.

I though that i would post that I got the AT PRO from DETECT A DEN yesterday and you could not ask for better service, I will be doing the trip again in a week or so with a mate to get his.

I went there a few weeks back Matt and was greeted with the same great service. Brad is about to open a "Detect a Den" shop in Canberra with a huge range of gear, so guess who's looking forward to that. :D

Cheers Wal.

Hi All

I am new to this site and would like a bit of feedback from you pro's...lol

I am looking at getting a cheapish detector to play around with at beaches, parks ect, what would you recommend around the $400-500 mark?

Was thinking maybe a Garrett 250 Ace or a Minelab X-Terra 305, love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks

Hey new digger, I too have decided to get a new detector. I hope to buy the new Garrett when it hits the market in a few weeks time, BUT in preparation I decided to download each of the manuals from Minelab and Garrett to READ UP first. They are easily downloaded and it gives you the chance to compare with paperwork in front of you. With respect to my new purchase, I have still decided to hang out for the new Garrett Specs to see how the new G stacks up. Maybe you could do the same to decide on a beach or park detector. It really does help to compare.

Hi Aussie Detecting

Was thinking mainly parks/beaches as don't live close to any gold areas, but would like to travel and try for gold now and then, so would you still say the Euroace?

The Euro ACE is essentially a deluxe Ace 250 and worth the extra $80 or so if you can spare it. If not, the Ace 250 is ideal for parks and beaches.

Nugget.

Detector comparisons are somewhat difficult and usually don't receive much response on the forum, the reason being that the person offering the recommendation really needs to have used each detector involved. What I suggest is comparing the specifications of the two models and researching each machine individually, then making your decision based on that. A better but not always possible option would be to borrow or hire each detector for a day or two.

Detector specifications;

Garrett EURO Ace http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/products/Euro-Ace.html
Minelab X-TERRA 505 http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/adventure-detectors/x-terra-505

I hope that helps.

Nugget.

Thanks Nugget

I ended up getting the Ace 350, guy i spoke to talked me out of the Euroace saying the Ace 350 suited Australian conditions better.

Oh well it gives me a starting point i guess.

I'm not sure where he got that information from. The Euro Ace is sold here in Australia whereas the Ace 350 is sold in the US. Garrett wouldn't market a detector in Australia if it wasn't suited to our conditions.

1374041228_euroacevace250.jpg

Taken from the Garrett Australia website

http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/garrett_history.html said:
Garrett releases new hobby detectors for the ACE series, as the ACE 350 in America and as the EuroACE for its overseas version.

Nugget.

Euroace Bell Tone for Foil up, Ace 350 has Bell Tone for Zinc Penny ($2) up, that would seal it for me - Ace 350. Why have tones at all when you are going to make it a High tone for everything foil to silver??

Latest posts