Bayonets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone here know much about Australian Militaria?
I'm keen on putting together a collection of Aussie Bayonets and want to know if there is any knowledge here.

I know google can help but its a nice conversation to have here at P.A

Cheers guys :D

Being a double edged blade, are they even legal in the nanny state?

I remember when i was a "soldier cadet" in my High School Cadet Unit that on special occasions we were issued 303 bayonets from the "Q" Store and amongst them was a rare WWI "crucifix" bayonet. When fitted to the Lee Enfield the blade was horizontal and not the regular verticle configuration. I recall being told that it was for close quarter trench fighting - ie you didn't need to lift your elbow to turn the rifle and blade to slip the tip between the opponents ribs. That's all i know about bayonets....

casper

Bayonets are legal to own in Queensland without any type of license as far as I'm aware, however you cannot carry them in public, even in your vehicle, the coppers will class them as concealed then, but should be no problem collecting, you could check with your local police or ring the weapons branch, they are always helpful. I did training on SLR's and 303's when I was in the navy, two very different types of bayonet's but interesting hobby by the sounds of it, I know a bloke who has a civil war "pig sticker" bayonet looks like a sharpened spike. Ned :)

Ive had several bayonets over the years and still have 3 or 4 laying around , at the end of the day they are just a knife , the fact that they are able to attach to a rifle doesn't make them any more dangerous than your store bought hunting/ camping knife , or even your kitchen carving knife for that matter .

And mostly laws are the same for bayonets as the laws regarding any knife , although I believe in Victoria double edged blades are banned across the board.

some ive had / have are ;

Turkish WW1

pattern 1907 bayonets ( british WW1 ,17 inch blade , 22in overall );
Sanderson P1907 round 180,000 made dated as best I could to around 1916
Wilkinson ( as in Wilkinson sword company ) dated 1915 around 40,000 made from memory , and mine was in near mint condition , sold it in around 1990 dammit , would be worth 4-500 easy now ;

A lot of P1907's were basically chopped in half for WW2 , as a 17 inch blade was not needed.
Back in the 80's and early 90's there were plenty of "chopped " P1907's for sale in disposal stores .

I Only sold my sanderson around 6 months ago , it had "stress test " stampings on it so had seen some reissues in service .

German K98 mauser bayonet , has SA markings on it , ( SA were the " brown shirts " precursor to the formation of the SS )

M16A1 bayonet ( U.S.)

Spanish "bolo " bayonet

FISKARS Bayonet similar in size to the P1907

more modern German assault rifle bayonet

Danish assault rifle bayonet

swedish assault rifle bayonet (double edged )

And others I'll probably think of later , lol

Sanderson P1907 bayonet ( british WW1 );

Sanderson / P1907 (pattern 1907 ) markings ;

reverse side "stress test " markings ;

WW2 German and modern Swedish double edged bayonets ;

Wow, i need to come to the market that you go to.
The only thing at my local market is a guy that grows vegie seedlings and some old ladies selling craft stuff.

Pays to do a bit of research as far as markings etc. on bayonets that may be of interest to collect , as there are a lot of reproductions being made nowadays , ( plenty re-pro's for sale on evilbay) and some people in turn could be trying to sell them for the real thing in markets , stores etc for an inflated price.

I have been a militaria collector for a number of years including bayonets. The standard issue bayonet in world war 1 and 2 and also Korea was the 1907 or just 07 pattern which attached to the 303 once upon a time these could be had very cheaply.now even one in fair to average condition will fetch about $100.00. Rare or unusual ones can fetch very high prices. There.are many other types in Australia that fitted other weapons. If you are interested there is a very good book on Australian bayonets which I can get the exact title of and see if a friend of mine has a copy

Cheers darryl

Latest posts