Bank account

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slight of hand bar girl almost got me once. had a skimmer in her pocket that she quickly swiped as well as the till when it was crazy busy while she punched the purchase up. Reported the suspicion to the manager for video confirmation but had to wait till she /they activated withdrawal from account then bank refunded the money which was only $30 each time x3 so it looked like grog purchase. It's like losing your wallet though your money doesn't matter so much as your identity seems to be compromised.

If you click on ad, you most certainly can be caught.
Sometimes it is not the ad but the website you ae transferred to.

That is why they call it fisching.

Click and they got you - hook line and sinker

That is all I did STC...

Will not do that again..

Now when new bank card turns up I will have to let my car insurance my new card number etc etc

Goody

Hey Goody..

It will cost you less than $100 dollars to learn how to do it, hardware and training...
Always small sums to test first...
Then the big ones they can get, $99 per transaction is common with cloned cards. (tap and go)
What ever they can get, with direct account access.

Thats why they do it, easy to do, and hardly any chance on getting caught - they are that stuff that we flush down the toilet everyday !

When you are curious about tech, love the hunt, you soon learn just how to try to protect your own stuff, and teach your kids too.

Some shops want you to hand them your card to put it thru the machine,
NEVER let it go, dont hand it to them,
you put it through and ALWAYS check the dollar figure before approving the purchase.
Pubs, Clubs, cafes, high tourism and high staff turnover places are the worst -

I have seen card readers mounted under shop counters in a particular position, thats where they put the card for a few seconds
on top of the counter, and it gets read, then they try the transaction again and it works this time - but they got your card during the stall time.
They just mount the reader with double sided tape and pull it off later.

Even easier is to stand next to you or back to back, some devices can do it over metres away.
LOL - Youtube is worse than prison for teaching thieves, tech demonstrations for all of this.

Goody, you are more aware now, dont worry, you will get your new card, go thru the work of resetting things and
things will settle down.

:)

I had a credit card a long time a go and someone in a overseas country took over a grand of my money..

I had to prove it was not me..

They called in the federal police over it...

The worse thing I had to keep making the repayment until they got it all sorted out..

Goody

G'day

A few years back while out bush I received a text message from my bank asking if I had done a pay anybody transaction from my savings account for $550 and not having used the account while out there I immediately went and checked my account on the computer to see what they were on about?, on checking I could see that there were actually now many other pending transactions as well for some $20,000. but there was not that amount in the savings account in the first place probably a few thousand, but what they had done was transferred the funds from my credit card into the savings account and set up the pay anybody to clean the account out, so I cant remember exactly but the final amount was about $23,000 or thereabouts, talk about crap your daks!

Jumped on the phone straight away and spoke to the bank help line people, told them I had not been anywhere near the account, they were surprised that the credit card had also been accessed as well as the system only recognized the very first transaction of the $550, so long story short they froze the account and although they tried to blame me in the first place they changed their tune later on, as when I spoke with their security section I was quizzed about my computer use and what security I was running on it and so on, they admitted that quite a few accounts had been targeted in the same way, so I told them that I had not been using the computer apart from just checking emails and such but had not accessed my bank account, also I told them that I thought it was probably an inside job anyway as someone would have to have good knowledge of how to get around passwords and so on to do what they had done?

It took several months and many visits and phone calls to rectify the issues, although I did not lose any money in the end it was a pain in the bum and stuffed me about no end, I noticed also some time after that they were charging me cash advance fees on my credit card as well, as I had never taken cash out of the card I queried it and what it was they were trying to charge me the fees for the transactions the scammer made to move the credit card funds to the debit card account, bloody cheeky, anyway I nipped that in the bud and they paid the money back, but once again if I had not looked they would probably still be charging it top my account.

So at the end of the day, dropped the credit card down to a few thousand only, and only put what I need into the debit account when I want to buy online or whatever, still use the same account as its a pain to change all your payment details with ebay and paypal etc, but now I keep money in another bank that cant be accessed online only over the counter, that way any issue or loss from that account will be their fault, all this left me a bit sour with the bank and has made me very wary of any internet or phone banking schemes.

cheer

stayyerAU

stayyerAU,

The AusPost Visa Debit card is the one that uses "pay anyone" as the account name, and I am pretty sure that the AusPost International Visa Debit card would be the same too.

There used to be very little security with these, but in the last 2 years it has been tightened up with personal ID required now.

I assume that they were being used for money laundering, and the ATO got wind of it - so now require full bank level ID.

:)

They did not tell me they would send new card..

So when I had to go to the bank last week they said where is your new card?

What new card??

So now I have to wait until I receive new card from the bank...

Then active it , then let everyone no my new account number etc etc...

Goody

goody2shoes said:
They did not tell me they would send new card..

So when I had to go to the bank last week they said where is your new card?

What new card??

So now I have to wait until I receive new card from the bank...

Then active it , then let everyone no my new account number etc etc...

Goody

They should be able to give you a new or temporary card over the counter.
It's in my previous post to you. :)

I did ask about the temporary card...

But he acked as if he new nothing about it..

Should get new card next week ...

Goody :)

goody2shoes said:
I did ask about the temporary card...

But he acked as if he new nothing about it..

Should get new card next week ...

Goody :)

Sounds like the banks don't care about customers anymore.
It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wish mine did sigh...

Still not sorted and it will be two weeks tomorrow since this happened...

Goody :(

Latest posts