Avenged's Weekend of Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this weekend I'd decided to check out the old rail line I'd been researching.
Unfortunately after setting foot in the area I've noticed it to be nothing but a 4WD area and a teenage haven for drinking... Cans and bottles galore!! Needless to say my picture explains what I'd found...

1441682631_img_4556.jpg

The only thing that was old was the old rusted bit of a pipe 8.( I'd washed it a bit more when I got it home and it wasn't anything special. :rolleyes:

My question would be do I continue with the area knowing it is apparently a local teenage hangout area to drink. Or do I give up on it?
The research I'd been doing mentioned it was once a main railway used in the early 1900's which was why I was hoping to find something cool at least.
On the other hand I feel maybe it's been developed too much to really give me anything. Though I also noticed on the spare land around it that it looks like it might be built up eventually (pegs in the ground with the pink tickets marking out perfect land)

if you want to stick at the area just keep an eye on target id's. if you know the size of a can and the id it gives (some vary) then movie on to the next target.
there is a spot i have that is just like this. however i do not have the patience to dig 100 bottle caps so i gave up on the area. as it was a teenage drinking hangout spot. littered with junk likw what you have posted.
a shame if there was no junk there i imagine there may be some cool relics to be found but i dont have time to get big holes for cans

Your only scratching the surface. Detect small sections at a time. Turn the volume down and take all that crap off the top, and then TURN UP THE VOLUME. You will find much deeper targets and not have the blasting and deafening sound of all that crap on top.

I did 300mtrs of Noosa beach one night, through utter bordem. It took 3 hrs, 1.5 hrs to take the crap from the top, 1.5 hrs to find $180 in coins down to 60cm. My main advice is protect your ears like your testicles! Turn down the volume and slowly clear the area. You dont want to end up like me, half deaf in one ear due to industrial work and a 20-30% reduction in both ears due to detecting, which isnt funny when a women says "can we go back to your place for sex" and you reply " i barrack for collingwood" :lol:
Good Luck

treasureman said:
there is a spot i have that is just like this. however i do not have the patience to dig 100 bottle caps so i gave up on the area. as it was a teenage drinking hangout spot. littered with junk likw what you have posted.

Yeah I think the whole wondering around and digging cans and bottle tops was what annoyed me the most. I ended up just zigzagging (I know, it's a big no no) just to see what else would be picked up. But like I said it looks like there may be housing or something eventually coming in this patch I have so I'm not sure if I leave it too late I might miss out. But then again I could only be missing out on cans and bottle caps :rolleyes:

Blindbat said:
Your only scratching the surface. Detect small sections at a time. Turn the volume down and take all that crap off the top, and then TURN UP THE VOLUME. You will find much deeper targets and not have the blasting and deafening sound of all that crap on top.

Hey Blindbat, I'm still new to the whole detecting thing so for the moment I'm stuck digging everything while trying to work out my targets. Plus looking at what could be in the area roughly could be around the same target as a gold ring / bottle caps / cans :(

Junk is just a necessary evil I'm afraid, sometimes it is too much of a risk leaving some of those coin sized junk targets in the ground, when is some instances they may actually be something of worth. If you have done your research, and have some chance of older finds in the area, I wouldn't give up straight away. Most of the modern stuff like canslaw and bottle caps will be relatively shallow, so by cleaning out most of the modern targets, it may well reveal some older gear underneath that may have been previously masked.

Either way, good on you for following up on some research, I'm sure it will pay dividends one day. :)

Just a suggestion, take a shovel, and remove some top soil away, from areas like steps, or pathways.

I'd give that spot a bit more of a go with the history of the place, if you find 1 pre decimal there will likely be more.

rocketaroo said:
Just a suggestion, take a shovel, and remove some top soil away, from areas like steps, or pathways.

I've got one of those small collapsible shovels I took with me as well as the Saw Tooth Digging Tool with helps to cut out a small amount of top soil. I think most of the bottle rubbish was surface to about 10cm down.

Old local history says it was the main rail and then everyone would head across the road to the local pub at the time (now converted to an old man's house which I would love to swing my detector over!!) so I'm still thinking it could be possible for something old there abouts. There was even a fire on this land of a small house (was converted into an Op Shop many years back but was now demolished after the fire.) So I also think that could be a good area.

Maybe I'll attempt this area again on Sunday again and see what I can recover.. :)

Though I do thank everyone for telling me not to give up this area! :)

With the aluminium cans, when you get very strong signal in 30 to 36 range lift the coil about 15 cm off the ground. If the signal is still strong, you got most likely aluminium can there. Also the can will sound over much larger area then the coin.
Karl

KarlS said:
With the aluminium cans, when you get very strong signal in 30 to 36 range lift the coil about 15 cm off the ground. If the signal is still strong, you got most likely aluminium can there. Also the can will sound over much larger area then the coin.
Karl
Does this break ground balance?

Not on X Terra 705. Once you set GB manualy it stays on until you change it again. In auto GB it chances slowly as you move coil over the ground. Sometimes I pass the coil over the target dozen times to get precise location, it never auto balance target out.
Karl

KarlS said:
Not on X Terra 705. Once you set GB manualy it stays on until you change it again. In auto GB it chances slowly as you move coil over the ground. Sometimes I pass the coil over the target dozen times to get precise location, it never auto balance target out.
Karl
I think my eureka looses balance unless I set it to fixed before I raise the coil, but I want to attempt what you suggested as I was digging cans all this arvo and Iin between the trash, it wasn't a fun find. Sometimes sounds a lot like a coin and its down to swinging to determine the size of the signal but hard to determine size when its a deep can squashed

KarlS said:
Karl

Thanks for the info Karl! :) I might try it this weekend at the same location then. Would save me the heartache of digging up another can!

Atom thanks as well, once I get a bit better I might make a trip out your way :)

Latest posts