Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lindsay Bookie who is an elder of the Anmatyerre tribe in Southern NT reckons it was more than 200 killed according to his passed down history. He's a mate of mine and I have been to all the sacred sites of his forebears and have no doubt he believes such. Its been some time since I had dinner with him and his mum at his place on the Hay river NT not that far from Coniston station.
No reason to doubt him.

nowhere near the Kimberley.

1401542742_markandlindsay.gif

Myself and Lindsay last visit

I've never been there, and I have no real idea exactly where it is, nor do I know much more than what I read while trying to research this question. I will certainly go back and look again at the Kimberley reference.

Coniston Station is north east of Yuendumu, in between the Tanami Track and Stuart Highway, worked there in the 90's exploring for gold (and Willowra).

In 1951 at an international computer conference the world was treated to the world's first digital music. What was the song, the name of the computer that played it, and how many electronic computers pre-dated it?

That honor goes to a third machine called CSIRAC, Australia's first digital computer, which "stunned" audiences with a rendition of Colonel Bogey.

well done folks,

Richo, while you were right about the computer - and thus first, I am afraid that I should give the honour of the first fully correct answer to Tathradj.

I have visited this computer in Melbourne. I confess I stood in awe for more than the few minutes my wife was prepared to spend admiring it. Just recognising how close Australia was at that time to the bleeding edge of technology in those days, little old Australia was a major player in technology development of, testing and launching, space rockets and satellites, RADAR technology, Missiles of all types, nuclear explosions, nuclear reactors, radio astronomy, geology, meteoric impact research..... I need to draw breath....

Must've been a heady time in Australian science and technology.

My dear old Dithering Dad was a salesman for some of the early large scale timeshare mainframe computers that were sold to Government, Universities, TAB's and later corporations in the late 60's early 70's. At first, the commercial machines available in Australia were still valve machines or early solid state things, with punched card readers and programming by rewiring a plug board. By the early 70's the systems had become far too complex for any one person to understand them. They were programmable from paper tape sucked along by vacuum or early washing machine sized disk packs. The Ditherer tells some interesting stories about the early deployments - very complex sales processes, mad inventions of world first solutions on-the-run, and then exhaustive customer testing and commissioning. As a salesman myself of some complex technology solutions, my gut churns at the thought of being the man with the job of managing some of these world first technology deployments.

If I did not get that one right, I would be very highly embarrassed. LOL
Thank You D&S,
I accept your invitation and humble thanks for my correct postulation on a some times vexing subject.

I now pose this question for the mass's to ponder,
I came to life in Australia around the early 1890's from a few idea's born out the back of a Shed.
I caused a lot of consternation and anxiety at the time.
I still cause these issues today.

Can some one state who and what I am?

My immediate first thought was "copping your first 'feel' of a sheila as a schoolboy". I seem to recall that came to me out the back of a shed and posed those same ethical and moral dilemmas aforementioned.... but I'll now properly ponder yonder wonder conundrum. <collapses>

Um,
Have I been too "vague" about this or should I rewrite the question.LOL
I am easily bribed.

After some research I can only come up with 2 possibilities, maybe/obviously I'm not searching hard enough.

Lawerence Hargrave, invented the box kite design that lifted him 16' in the air ?

Or some vague references to the ALP formation around that time ? :rolleyes:

Latest posts