Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha Lancair gets it, Obviously my hint was a good one. Don't know how many topics we have covered, but it is a lot! It is getting very hard to craft questions that are reasonably google proof.

An iconic product, that got a mention recently in the thread about a vegemite chicken recipe.

"In 1919, following the disruption of British Marmite imports after World War I and prior to the introduction of Vegemite, Callister's employer, the Australian company Fred Walker & Co., gave him the task of developing a spread from the used yeast being dumped by breweries. Callister had been hired by the chairman Fred Walker.[5] Vegemite was registered as a trademark in Australia that same year. Callister used autolysis to break down the yeast cells from waste obtained from the Carlton & United brewery. Concentrating the clear liquid extract and blending with salt and celery and onion extracts[6] formed a sticky black paste."

Most Aussies love it, to me it is an evil paste from hell, and I gag at the smell.

Over to you Lancair!

Does it have something to do with Sir Douglas Mawson and the geographic south pole/polar exploration

Sorry everyone, I must apologise for the wording of the question.

Who am I is NOT appropriate. I realised after I posted but after I had left my PC for a few hours to resume working.

Two historic journeys, saw this place first by mistake.
What place am I and which journeys found me be mistake?

May be off target, but I would say Australia. First discovered by the Dutch in the early 1600's who thought it was still a part of New Guinea and about 15 years later again sighted by the Dutch who thought it was another already charted island. Couldn't tell you the names off the top of my head though.

to call a discovery a mistake whilst exploring is confusing. Perhaps by chance? whilst searching for something else?

Latest posts