Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit, That took some real research mate. LOL
Ok,
I am a place in NSW,
I was going to become very famous but got left behind.
I do have two stand out features and you can have a beer while you study them.
I am at a cross roads in the middle of no where but have a lot of character.
One of my main feature is to do with one of Australia's iconic rivers.
What is my name??

Paydirt. LOL
I should have known that you would have picked that one.LOL
You are spot on in description.

Over to you...

Without Google, wreck of a Stinson Aircraft, found by a man named "O'Reilly". ?

EDIT: After google, Bernard O'Reilly found the wreckage 10 days after it crashed killing 4 of the 7 on board in 1937, site is now inside Lamington National Park.

Spot on Lancair, had a look at the crash site in January, stinking hot, muggy day. Lost a few kgs over the course of the day. Bernard O'Reilly pure and simple Australian legend. Take it away

A site had been cleared by mid 1898, construction of a road began in 1899. Actual building construction was started in 1900 and was completed after many delays in late November 1901. Opened officially a day late on Dec 1 1901. At the time a mechanism was used in me that was the first such use in Australia. Today I am the most powerful in Australia.

What am I and what is the mechanism that was unique at the time?

I am a small town of only a few hundred people, with both oil and precious stones.
I gave my name to a sea which no longer exists.
I am a on a shore that was sought by explorers 66 million years too late.

What town am I?

To be honest, a mate works in the area and was telling me about it's history a few weeks ago. He left a stubby cooler from the Eromanga pub on my boat too.

Built in 1799, I had a unique feature for the time. Arriving in Australia in late 1800 I set about exploring parts of Australia. I was last seen in 1825, actual fate unknown.

What am I and what was the unique feature I had?

Latest posts