Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Jamie ;)

Which Australian Prime Minister am I?

It was compulsory for all gold to be sold to the government or its agents, at the dictated price within 10 days of discovery. This law was put in place in an attempt to stop people taking gold out of the country, rather than it going to swell the coffers of mother England. The law was only repealed over a hundred years later by Prime Minister ??????. The government also made all gold discoveries tax free in an attempt to encourage mining.

Ryan1981 said:
DrDuck said:

Wow i have lived in Canberra and never new about thanks for the post mate :)

Hay Ryan,
This thread is awesome, very educational and thanks goes to The Duck for starting it.
It's by far the most popular thread on the forum.
I bet if you go back through the posts there will be heaps of stuff you never knew.

I am one of only two Prime Ministers whose lifetime spanned the lives of all 25 Prime Ministers in Australias first century (John Gorton was the other)...

heres one for you .....how much gold was found in the city of brisbane sydney and melbourne as they were being built

yes i have researched it and nuggets were found in the middle of all cities

Hi mickance. You must answer the current question before you get to ask one :D

Current question: What where an Australian born Shepard, A deserter from an American whaler, a cooks mate from a British brig and a free Irish migrant tricked into doing? In Colonial times in Victoria.

Next hint: Not a nice thing they did.

Are those the guys that killed Robert Dunlop and Hugh McLean at Murderers Hill, Dunolly? They were led to believe that the men had a large nugget.

Ramjet said:
Hi mickance. You must answer the current question before you get to ask one :D

Current question: What where an Australian born Shepard, A deserter from an American whaler, a cooks mate from a British brig and a free Irish migrant tricked into doing? In Colonial times in Victoria.

Next hint: Not a nice thing they did.

Formed the Collingwood Football Club. ;)

Latest posts