Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was too hard for me GT so I passed it on to the missus, she found it after a bit of digging.

What and where am I?
I was built in the second half of the 19th century with the aim of saving lives. It seemed like a bright idea at the time but due to errors during construction I caused more grief than I prevented. To rectify this I was eventually destroyed.

I can't give you blokes too many clues or it will be too easy but I will say the project received glowing reports from all who saw it.

My guess from the cryptic clues is a lighthouse (It seemed like a bright idea,the project received glowing reports) but i have no idea which one.

Cracka

This wasn't about some rescue apparatus was it. ???
Rather bland question from me but
also some thing to do with the signal corps.
I think it was about projecting a line to a ship in distress from a platform.

Cape St George Lighthouse built in a bad location...ships still wrecked. Replace by Point Perpendicular lighthouse

The tower destroyed by Naval practice due to the tower being close to Point Perpendicular replacement Lighthouse and causing confusion.

Well done Horse.

The builders built it a few miles from where it should have been because it was closer to the quarry they used for the stone. Two problems, the chosen sight was no good in the first place plus they neglected to adjust the position on marine charts so mariners were confused causing shipwrecks.

Give us an easy one Horse.

I was built in 1780 and come to my end in 1790.

In a mere 10 years.

I was involved in business
I caught fire and was purchased rebuilt and by the Royal Navy
I Took part in the Amercican War of Independance.
I returned to Britain and was fitted out and renamed for a voyager to New South Wales.

I am now a wreck in Australian waters.

I seem to remember something about a Coke Machine somewhere.
ie, A dispenser type thingy. :/

Latest posts