Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well spotted Doc. The Bakers Creek Crash. Only 1 survivor.

The Bakers Creek air crash was an aviation disaster which occurred on 14 June 1943, when a United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress aircraft crashed at Bakers Creek, Queensland. The aircraft took off from Mackay and crashed approximately 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) south of the airfield. Forty of the 41 military service personnel on board were killed. The crash was Australia's worst aviation disaster by death toll and was the worst accident involving a transport aircraft in the south-western Pacific during World War II.

The aircraft, a Boeing B-17C, serial number 40-2072, known as "Miss Every Morning Fixin" took off from Mackay Airfield just before dawn at about 6 am in foggy conditions, headed for Port Moresby. Soon after, it made a low altitude turn and a few minutes later, crashed. The cause of the crash remains a mystery.

Apparently Mark Twain had a thing for the train station in Maryborough. He described the region as "a railway station, with a town attached".

EDIT: Wow, was a little behind the times with that tidbit.

thanks guys, not sure if Iam doing this right, please correct me if im not,

I was born in Germany in 1825 and made my way to Adelaide in 1847 were I got a job as a chemist.

I moved to Victoria in 1851 and opened my own chemist on the goldfields......

cheers mate, i remembered reading about this guy not too long ago but couldn't remember the name, so my go, my first time at this too.

Q. it was built by hand tools in 1822 to allow transport to the original European settlements in the region , and is one of two that remain in NSW, and was a first in Australia

hope this is done right
Jamie

Latest posts