Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct , Nucopia.

The holey dollar was created to address a shortage of coins in the new colony. Governor Lachlan Macquarie imported 40,000 Spanish reales in 1812 and had convicted forger William Henshall cut the centre out of each, to double the number of available coins. The coins were counterstamped and the outer ring became known as the holey dollar, with the centre renamed the dump.

Macquarie set the value of the holey dollar at five shillings, with 15 pence for the dump. These coins went into circulation in 1814 and were replaced with sterling coinage from 1822. The National Museums holey dollar is one of about 300 in existence.

Holey dollars speak eloquently of the creative and improvisatory attempts to create an orderly administration in colonial Australia, said National Museum Director Andrew Sayers. The holey dollar we have acquired for the National Museum is a finely preserved example of this iconic object from the era of Macquarie.

Your turn ....

300 left from 40,000. There must be a few buried out there somewhere waiting to be pinged by a metal detector. I wonder what either part of it would be worth?

Hi Gents and Ladies. Looks like this topic has gone quite. So Im starting it again. Sorry if I upset anyone

Thanks Nanjim, so pleased to see this up and running again

What am I, I was purportedly the first of my kind in Australia and I came into being in 1880?

Manpa said:
Thanks Nanjim, so pleased to see this up and running again

What am I, I was purportedly the first of my kind in Australia and I came into being in 1880?

We have all seen probably hundreds if not thousands of me.

Hi Manpa. Still in Manila, Being a house dad for a few more weeks.
Happy new year mate.

Im thinking. Potatoes.

What am I, I was purportedly the first of my kind in Australia and came into being in 1880

We have all seen hundreds, probably thousands of me

A man of some notoriety was the subject matter

I was created in Benalla

Latest posts