Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty obscure clues Goldie, this is tricky. :(

Are we trying to guess who draws the line? Or what the line is? Or who them are? or all of the above? :8

Ballarat, "as if the name had been written on the sky where all the world could read it at once".

Manpa said:
Thin carbonaceous layer of slate where it intersects a reef?
More or less - it "indicates" something. What is its name (Ballarat)
Mark Twain did not make many such comments!

Its name is The Pencil Mark

And by the way, Mark Twain did say such a thing- In chapter 16 of "The Accidental Tourist" in 1895 ;)

Deepseeker said:
Its name is The Pencil Mark
You've got it - Ballarat, Mark Twain, "indicates" the location of gold and "I draw a line in the rocks to show them". Strictly not itself an indicator of gold but of "The Indicator"

http://classicbookshelf.com/library/mark_twain/following_the_equator/23/

A citizen told me a curious thing about those mines. With all my experience of mining I had never heard of anything of the sort before. The main gold reef runs about north and south - of course for that is the custom of a rich gold reef. At Ballarat its course is between walls of slate. Now the citizen told me that throughout a stretch of twelve miles along the reef, the reef is crossed at intervals by a straight black streak of a carbonaceous nature - a streak in the slate; a streak no thicker than a pencil - and that wherever it crosses the reef you will certainly find gold at the junction. It is called the Indicator. Thirty feet on each side of the Indicator (and down in the slate, of course) is a still finer streak - a streak as fine as a pencil mark; and indeed, that is its name Pencil Mark. Whenever you find the Pencil Mark you know that thirty feet from it is the Indicator; you measure the distance, excavate, find the Indicator, trace it straight to the reef, and sink your shaft; your fortune is made, for certain. If that is true, it is curious. And it is curious anyway.

1562562047_pencil_mark_lane.jpg

https://www.aig.org.au/events/ballarat-technical-talk-october-2018/

Over to you....

I'm a body of water. On my banks was born a person who would go on to become a Preacher, an Inventor, and a Writer, who was also a recognized authority on Ballistics.

Well done Hard luck. Yes Lake Alexandrina, on whose banks David Unaipon was born on 28th September 1872

Over to you.......

this one is soooooo easy but nothing come on guys and girls give it a go :8 :8 :8 :8 :8 :8

There are currently 167 users online (20 Members and 147 Freeloaders)
Online: 7.62marksman, BlueDogWA, bob, chook55, Dignit, DumbOnion, Eluvial, Fossiker, Goldpin Prospecting, Hard Luck, HippyProspecting, MacRob, Northeast, Nothing Great, Outback, PicknShovels, Reg Wilson, RM Outback, Searching, Tathradj

Latest posts