Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The famous John Robert Howe, better known as Jackie Howe, was born on Canning Downs on 26 July 1861. Howe went on to become the country's most famous shearer and is remembered with an impressive statue in the main street of Blackall.

In 1983 Warwick remembered this famous son by establishing a Jackie Howe Memorial at the Jackie Howe Rest Area on the corner of Glengallan Road and the Cunningham Highway. It is notable for the large shears at the top.

The inscription on the memorial notes:
"John Robert Howe Better Known As Jackie Howe was Born On Canning Downs Near Warwick On 26th July, 1861.
He learned the art of blade shearing in the woolsheds of this district before moving to Central Queensland in the 1800s.
At Alice Downs, Blackall, on 10 October 1892 he shore a total of 321 sheep in a standard working day of eight hours and thereby established a record that was never equalled by blade shearers.
By adopting a sleeveless shirt which facilitated the action of the blade shearer he gave his name to its modern counterpart: the Jackie Howe singlet.
Jackie Howe died at Blackall on 21 July, 1920."

Who am I?

I was born in Scotland in 1860 and died at 47 years old in France.
I was known for my flamboyance, and what was called a 'blunder' in my first role in office.
I have a statue on a state capital avenue bearing my name.

Yes, you got it Yellow Hornet!

John Adrian Louis Hope, 1st Marquess of Linlithgow, 7th Earl of Hopetoun, KT, GCMG, GCVO, PC (25 September 1860 29 February 1908) was a British aristocrat and statesman who served as the first Governor-General of Australia, in office from 1901 to 1902. He was previously Governor of Victoria from 1889 to 1895.

Hopetoun was born into the Scottish nobility, and succeeded his father as Earl of Hopetoun at the age of 12. He attended Eton College and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, but opted not to pursue a full-time military career. Hopetoun sat with the Conservative Party in the House of Lords, and became a Lord-in-waiting in 1885 and Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1887. He was appointed Governor of Victoria at the age of 29, and had a successful tenure in a time of political and economic instability.

After returning to England in 1895, Hopetoun served in Lord Salisbury's cabinet as Paymaster General and Lord Chamberlain. The announcement of his appointment to the new governor-generalship in July 1900 was met with praise. However, he arrived in Australia ill-informed about the political aspects of federation, and his decision to call on William Lyne to form a caretaker government became known as the "Hopetoun Blunder". Lyne, who had campaigned against federation, had little support from the political establishment, and Hopetoun was forced to turn to Edmund Barton to serve as Australia's first prime minister. His relationship with Barton once in office was civil, although his interferences in political matters were not well-received.

Hopetoun was popular with the general public, but developed a reputation for flamboyance and ostentation. His desire for a large expenses allowance was rebuffed by parliament, and he consequently relinquished office in July 1902. He was granted a marquessate upon his return to England, and thereafter withdrew from public life, except for a brief term as Secretary of State for Scotland in 1905. He died in France at the age of 47, after several years of ill health. Hopetoun's term as governor-general is generally regarded as a failure, and his successors generally avoided emulating his extravagance. Only Lord Denman held the position at a younger age.

1541462585_hopetoun.jpg

Over to you! :D

Dawn and I had quite a few things in common.
She was perhaps a tad better with her aquatic abilities than me.
I rose higher than her in another pursuit.

Other things we had in common:
We were both involved in politics.
We have aquatic centres named after us.(Mine in Victoria and hers in New South Wales)
Born in New South Wales.

I died when I was 59 at the peak of my career.

Latest posts