Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mitchell regarded exploration as part of the general survey of the colony and systematically measured each mile travelled with a chain. On this occasion he moved through known country to Tamworth, explored to the Namoi and followed it down as far as Narrabri, then cut across the plains to the Gwydir near Moree. He then chartered the tributaries between the Gwydir and the Barwon River but found no predicted river flowing to the north-west. This journey extended the many contacts he made with the Aboriginal people of different regions but two men from his party were murdered at their hands.

Casterton began on the crossing site of the Glenelg River (flows both ways?), the location having been surveyed in 1840, and the first pub, the Glenelg Inn, was established in 1846 with a post-office opening the following year.

OK.
Casterton. ?
I think.
Drove through on the way to South Australia
on a fishing expedition.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Manpa saw my post before his last clue. I think we posted them right about the same time and he may not have seen it. I reckon it's Casterton.

Congrats Megsy, Casterton is correct, home to the Australian Kelpie and a river that flows both ways, Glenelg -- Glenelg and you are correct I didn't see your last post before my last clue. You must have been typing at the same time as me.
Cheers
Manpa

What and where am I?

I am one of only three in Australia.

1541374411_what_am_i.jpg

It is indeed guys! Well done! I thought I might have had to add a couple more clues, but you got it in one!

At 263 feet tall (80.16m), the Clifton Hill Shot Tower vies with Taroona Shot Tower as the tallest in the world. (Edit: Not sure how they argued this when the Taroona Shot Tower is only 58m tall??? I think they might mean the tallest STONE shot tower, rather than brick...).

Built in 1882, it is also the oldest of two remaining towers in Melbourne. The other is Coops Shot Tower, which now houses a museum dedicated to the history of Melbourne and shot production that is preserved under the glass cone at Melbourne Central Shopping Centre, which is 50m tall, built in 1889.

In the 19th century, shot towers were the most efficient mode of producing ammunition. Though ingenious, the technique was surprisingly simple, workers would ascend the precarious spiralling staircase to a small pavilion at the top of the tower.

From there, they would drop a ball of molten lead through a copper sieve into a basin of water at the bottom of the tower. The fall would cool and shape the lead into shot pellets. This method was used until the early 1960s, when a manufacturing style that required significantly less tower supplanted it.

1541385282_shot_tower.jpg

You might call these guys the bane of modern day prospectors and detectorists! :(

Over to you Diggit.

Manpa said:
Bennelong Point?

Indeed it is Manpa, well done.

Woollarrawarre Bennelong
was a Wangal man kidnapped in 1789 by European settlers at Manly Cove, NSW. He became the first official ambassador between the British and Aboriginal peoples after a period of imprisonment. He voluntarily helped explained indigenous life to the NSW colonys governor, Arthur Phillip and later travelled to England, the first Aboriginal Australian to do so. His unique life has resulted in a number of places being named after him including the point that the Sydney Opera House sits on and a federal electoral district in northern Sydney.

Over to you Manpa :Y:

Latest posts