Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marie Dolores Eliza Rosanna Gilbert, Countess of Landsfeld. But took a Spanish name, beat the editor of the Ballarat Times with a whip (more,more.) and died of syphilis - stage name Lola Montez?

A double question relating to landscape (in both cases) - what famous Australian hung 500 people who were fighting for independence of their country from Britain, and what landscape feature was named after a manufacturer or washing machines.

But that was only part of the question. Yes, I wonder how many deserts are named in that way (I had assumed it was an explorer). Turned out I knew his great great grandson but never made the connection.

The other one is interesting (and geographically related) - a national hero (mind you we had some wierdos in the first 50 or so years - one governor would be on the sex offenders register nowadays).

No - I don't think Stirling hung anyone...if there was a Stirling. It is much more geographically related to the Simpson, although the guy had a walk around in WA.

I was referring to governor stirring

I will try Mount Giles after Ernest Giles now

If it's not that it maybe Lake Eyre.

Yes, Eyre. He was an explorer - didn't have a great reputation for race relations, but probably partly because of his experiences crossing the Great Australian Bight. He became Governor of Jamaica and hung 500 locals who were trying to get independence from Britain. My g g g g grandpa was a missionary there 20 years prior to that when they hung 500 others in the Sam Sharpe rebellion (he married a Jamaican woman and was tarred and feathered by the sugar cane planters...)

Over to you...

Latest posts