Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Australian Aboriginal Flag is a flag that represents Aboriginal Australians. It is one of the official flags of Australia, and holds special legal and political status, but it is not the "Australian National Flag". It is often flown together with the national flag and with the Torres Strait Islander Flag, which is also an official flag of Australia.

The Australian Aboriginal Flag was designed in 1971 by Aboriginal artist Harold Thomas, who is descended from the Luritja people of Central Australia and holds intellectual property rights to the flag's design. The flag was originally designed for the land rights movement, and it became a symbol of the Aboriginal people of Australia.

Black represents the Aboriginal people of Australia
Yellow circle represents the Sun, the giver of life and protector
Red represents the red earth, the red ochre used in ceremonies and Aboriginal peoples spiritual relation to the land

The flag was first flown on National Aborigines Day in Victoria Square in Adelaide on 12 July 1971. It was also used in Canberra at the Aboriginal Tent Embassy from late 1972. In the early months of the embassywhich was established in February that year

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_Flag

I said it was an easy one Over to you Ozzie au

An Aussie prospector found a giant goldfield in the 19th Century but sold his share for ten pounds and moved on, making nothing from it and never being heard of again a short time later (probably murdered). Who was he, and what was the goldfield?

I read about this just the other day and stuffed if I can remember who it was. I am trying to remember first thing that come to mind is Fly Flat (Coolgardie) but I know that's not right.

Further afield - he was an Aussie prospector, the goldfield was not....every Australian prospector should know of this guy but few do.

You got it xcvator - the Rand gold rush. My next clue was going to be that the discovery led to a war (the second Boer war). George Harrison was an Australian prospector who discovered the world's largest goldfield (more than 50,000 tonnes of gold produced - more than 50% of all gold ever mined on Earth historically). He sold out for ten pounds and moved on to the northeastern Transvaal gold rush, was probably kicked out of South Africa by the government and was possibly murdered on his way back home. Then we had the Jamieson raid, and Britain decided that the Rand was worth having (having kicked the Boers out of the Cape, and then Natal, so that they migrated northwest across the Vaal River (i.e. Transvaal) only to be hassled again)...Cecil Rhodes (i.e. as in Rhodesia) and Barney Barnato then developed the goldfield.

Over to you.....

Latest posts