Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys...I'm all questioned out....I hereby delegate my right to ask a question to......Gilly47....take it away...please!

Thanks reefer. I will have a go.

I was Born in 1885
I am an engineer
I gained my science diploma from the Sydney Technical College.

I was Born in 1885
I am an engineer
I gained my science diploma from the Sydney Technical College
Three islands in the eastern part of Commonwealth Bay are named after him
I was the first person to play football in Antarctica
I also received the Polar Medal .

I was known for being a pastoralist, mine-owner and politician.

Being born at Penge, near London in 1830 I arrived in Australia with my family in 1839.

I worked on a cattle station 1840-41 and 1842-45 on a sheep station as a carrier for the Burra copper mine
At 15 I was overlanding cattle for the mine between Adelaide and New South Wales.

During 1848-51 I was self-employed as a carrier and road contractor and between 1851-53 prospected on the Victorian goldfields.

Well done, over to you Manpa.

Here is the rest of the info

I returned to Adelaide bought 250 acres near the city and got married on 17 September 1855 and in a disastrous fire lost nearly all my property so I went to Victoria and failed in the promotion of a railway at Bendigo.
I became manager of Tallin station and in 1864 overlanded 10,000 sheep to Tarcoon and Mooculta two runs which I managed on the Bogan River, New South Wales.

I organized travelling wool-scouring plants and went from station to station in the west of New South Wales and soon associated fellmongery, butchering and soap-making with my pastoral enterprises and bought Mooculta Station in 1868.
1883 I was chairman of the Great Cobar Copper Mining Co. and became known as the 'Copper King', being director of fourteen other mining companies.

Later I extended my investments into insurance and pastoral finance, and became a director of the Mercantile Mutual Insurance Co., the British and Foreign Insurance Co. and managing director of the Pastoral Finance Association Ltd.
Between 1880-86 I represented Bourke in the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales and was regarded as a Parkes supporter with independent views.

An inactive legislator, I was known as 'the silent member', only aroused whenever mining, water conservation or pastoral matters were debated and served in a royal commission on the conservation of water in 1884.
I died at Five Dock, Sydney on 30 June 1916.

Thanks Jackthehound.

What am I

I was established in 1899 and have become one of the largest of my type in the world but I only employ 130 people.

Cheers

I originated from gold being discovered in Western Australia in 1886.
My name comes from the Aboriginal name of a nearby river.
My population was 1,500 prior to World War II, now only about 200 remain.