Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep too easy Doc I knew you would get that quickly.
It is indeed Vegemite.
It will be a bit harder next time !!!

Over to you Doc

GT :)

It was just one of those questions that I knew the answer to right away, without having to google it.

I have visitors tonight, and will be up at 5:00 am tomorrow to spend the next three days working in Sydney, so maybe someone else could take it up.

Sorry for the delay, it's becoming hard to think of new questions.

For a change, I thought I'd give a fair bit of information about my latest subject, and see how you go.

I was born in Sydney, and educated in a number of schools, including at Goulburn.

I worked in the clothing industry, and later went to America where I was an extra and some times a stunt performer in movies.

Returning to Sydney after a failed marriage, I appeared in a couple of Australian films, before travelling to Europe and the USA, during which time I had a column about my travels in an Australian Newspaper.

I became a war correspondent for the paper during WW2, and was interred by the Japanese after being captured.

After the war, I gave speeches about my experiences, and resumed my job as a journalist.

I was a society favorite, and appeared on early ABC television.

I remember this person and their distinctive catch phrase on Sydney Radio back in the late 60's.

Who to you reckon I am?

GT is correct. That's a great get. She went by the name Andrea on the radio in the 60's. Her catch phrase was "hello mums and dads," and I remember it well from when I was a kid.

I thought I'd have to give a hint or two, at least that I was not looking for a man!

She really did have an amazing life.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/jenner-dorothy-hetty-fosbury-andrea-12697

xcvator said:
goldtruck59 said:
Is it Dorothy Hetty Fosbury Jenner

Great question Doc and a tricky one too!!!

OK, I've got to ask, just how did you come up with that answer ?

Well its like this. Ive been playing this game for 4 years or so with the Doc and I have got used to his cryptic clues.
Doc is all things NSW and in particular his home town of Goulburn.
Simply typed into Google - War correspondent-newspaper columnist-and the key word -Goulburn
10 minutes reading and scrolling and the clues pointed straight to a very non male Dorothy. It was a great question in deceit.

DrDuck said:
GT is correct. That's a great get. She went by the name Andrea on the radio in the 60's. Her catch phrase was "hello mums and dads," and I remember it well from when I was a kid.

I thought I'd have to give a hint or two, at least that I was not looking for a man!

She really did have an amazing life.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/jenner-dorothy-hetty-fosbury-andrea-12697

Thanks Doc,

Great question as usual.

Ok lets try a bit harder and more obscure target famous in his time.

who am I?

Clue 1

I was born in pretty impoverished conditions very early in the 20th century in Central Australia. I pretty much spent most of my time between there and SA and particularly around the Murray river area and tried many vocations. I even had a stint as a steward on a paddle steamer.

Thanks GT. I have poked my head into this thread a few times. First time I've had a dip at it though.

I'm not going back through the previous 296 pages so unsure if this person has already been done...

I was born at the very start of my life on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland.

The child of a piscatorial capture expert.

Pre-teens I moved to a cow ranch in south central Queensland and spent much of my childhood there.

Whilst still schooling I became engrossed in the ocean and those that explored it.

I returned to the Sunshine Coast in my teens and was the top student at my local high school.

I then studied Zoology in Queensland's capital city.

After my studies I ventured overseas to countries north of Australia, in Africa and the Middle East.

In Africa I continued the work of another pioneering ocean scientist and my interest in pearls grew.

I eventually returned to Australia after hearing of the passing of a friend and took on the running of the biggest farm of its kind in Australia at the time.

Since the mid 1970s I have been based in the Capital of the Kimberley and have run a very successful business there.

In recent years have been recognized with an OAM.

Who am I?

Have fun :Y:

Latest posts