Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No not the church but good guess.

I was built in the late 1800's and at the time was the biggest in the southern hemisphere,

My name is made up of a cartoon character's name and something round?

1485256331_garfield_water_wheel.jpg

GT :)

Have you been there Plastered? I was up there the other day. Its in Chewton and if you knock on the stone base it has an unreal clang to it. Quite eerie.
It was an amazing achievement the Garfield wheel and the lengths they went to for water.

Who am I

I was a clever and persistent businessman of the gold era. I took mining in my area to another level when the alluvial ran out.

plastered81 said:
I have mate, we had a look recently as well. Its hard to imagine how big the actual wheel was.

sure was huge. Over 100 feet I think. We followed the race for a bit a few years ago. It was a massive engineering feet.

Clue 2

I went bust many times but the deeper I went the luckier I got.

plastered81 said:
I have mate, we had a look recently as well. Its hard to imagine how big the actual wheel was.

Does anyone have any recent pics of the wheel ? I ask as lived just down the road as a child and used to go ferreting around the area and climb and sit up on the rock supports. Most of the rock work was still there 40 odd years ago. :)
Sorry for the bit off topic here ;)

Bogger said:
plastered81 said:

Does anyone have any recent pics of the wheel ? I ask as lived just down the road as a child and used to go ferreting around the area and climb and sit up on the rock supports. Most of the rock work was still there 40 odd years ago. :)
Sorry for the bit off topic here ;)

google the Garfield wheel and then look at the images. There are heaps of its current state of play.

the answer is George Lansell from Bendigo. The quartz King. It was either too hard or everyone is gold prospecting or fishing !!!Its been in before I asked the same question years ago.
Time to move on I reckon. Im off to Portland to catch some KG's.

Some one else can try a question if they want to.

Hasn't been a question for a while.

I was first discovered in South Australia in 1849 whilst digging a roadway. What am I? Where was I first found? And by whom?

BarossaDigger said:
Hasn't been a question for a while.

I was first discovered in South Australia in 1849 whilst digging a roadway. What am I? Where was I first found? And by whom?
Somewhere in the Barossa Valley , it can be found in Black

Latest posts