Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came to Australia in 1822.
Like the West's and Nichols I too share a first, and also a second.
I once likened a state to a heap of animal crap.

PT73 said:
I once likened a state to a heap of animal crap.

Well they were not my exact words...but had the same connotation.

Sorry, it is a dead google give away if I type the exact quote.

Anyway here's a couple of more clues...
1. The quote was in relation to where the particular state ranked within the British Empire and my views would later lead to my primary purpose to clean up Australian society.

I arrived in Australia by my own free will. You could say it was a kind of pre-destiny that led me here. Although I was not a convict, I found myself landing in goal on several occasions. I made several voyages back to the mother country that were attributed to my primary purpose/cause.

Good work Doug, I am John Dunmore Lang- Presbyterian clergyman, politician, educationist, immigration organizer, historian, anthropologist, journalist, gaol-bird and, in my wife's words engraved on my statue in Sydney, 'Patriot and Statesman'. I was born on 25 August 1799 at Greenock, Scotland.

"He was the first prominent advocate of an independent Australian nation and of Australian republicanism."
That is yet another first for him, however the first I was referring to was the fact he was the first Presbyterian minister in Sydney and the mainland, the second in Australia because Rev. Archibald Macarthur had settled in Hobart just before him in December 1822.

He was quoted as saying that New South Wales was "the dunghill of the empire".

His prime purpose was to cleanse Australian society and his solution was to encourage the emigration of thousands of Scottish highlanders!

What strikes me about Lang is that although he was a man of the church he was a real rebel. A patriotic and passionate man who stood for what he believed in, his words and actions often landed him in hot water and in gaol, being sued and even receiving lashes!

I learnt about Lang from a great book I am currently reading called Caledonia Australis by Don Watson. It is all about the Scottish Highlanders on the Australian frontier. Great reading if you can pick up a copy. I got my copy from the local trash n treasure for 50 cents!

Over to you Doug.
;)

Thank you PT73,

I must of found the same reference that you used but for some reason I couldn't get the reference to copy and paste correctly on my reply.

I will come back with a question in a little bit.

Cheers

Doug

DrDuck said:
Thanks Doug,
I'll have to put my thinking cap on.

Pastafarian?
1471999453_1450320174494.jpg

I haven't tested this one for google proofness, but here goes...

I came from the south coast of NSW, and rushed to one of the earliest goldfields in NSW. On returning home I noticed the similarity between the goldfields and my home area. With a mate, I discovered one of the significant goldfields in Southern NSW.

Too easy, Magilla!

Two Moruya men, Alexander Waddell and Harry 'The Blacksmith' Hicken, had rushed to Ophir. It was there that they realised the terrain was remarkably similar to the area behind Moruya. They returned home and by 1851, having moved further and further up the Araluen valley, they had discovered gold.

Over to you....

Thanks Doc.

I think there may be a few that know this one without google but I am running out of ideas.

I was in South Africa when I heard that gold had been discovered in Australia. I hitched a ride on the first available ship and made my way to the gold fields but not with the intention of prospecting.

That's a head scratcher, as none of the early PM's were old enough to be an adult in the early 1850's when gold was discovered. None of them appear to have spent time in South Africa, either, but I have not had much time to look.

I thought the Prime Minister clue would cause some head scratching, yes it is Robert Gascoyne-Cecil. He was travelling the world at the recommendation of his doctor when he decided to visit Australia to see the extent of the gold strike in Victoria. When he was at Bendigo there were 30,000 miners and they were recovering about 30,000 ounces per week or an oz per miner per week. There are blokes in WA that are getting better than that today. He was also amazed at the behavior of the miners commenting that there would be a lot more lawlessness if the gold strike was in England.

Have another go Quinton.

Latest posts