ANZAC DAY - LEST WE FORGET

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1554152215_images_1.jpg

A Hundred Years From Now

When the playing of the bugle sent a shiver down my spine
When I felt a sense of duty and stepped up to join the line
A song was sung, my heart was young, the ship it sailed away
When my mother stood there crying and I had no words to say
When I wore my countrys coat of arms to pledge a solemn vow
I didnt think theyd honour me a hundred years from now

When I landed in an ambush on that distant foreign shore
When I saw the bullets flying and I heard the canon roar
I turned my head, my friend lay dead, it happened so damn fast
When I made it through the mayhem of that terrifying blast
When I managed to survive that daystill I dont know how
I didnt think theyd tell the tale a hundred years from now

When the battle raged forever and adversity was rife
When the courage and the sacrifice were daily facts of life
As darkness fell, it seemed like hell, but mateship got us through
When nothing else made any sense thats the flag we flew
When thoughts of home revived my strength and wiped my bloody brow
I didnt think theyd call me brave a hundred years from now

When I felt a chill that morning when my heart beat like a drum
When the captain gave his orders and I knew the time had come
No glory there, just pure despair, my best is what I gave
When they wrote lest we forget upon the headstone of my grave
When, beside my cross, the children of the future stop to bow
My spirit will remain alive a hundred years from now

When the playing of the bugle sends a shiver down your spine
When you realise that your qualities are just the same as mine
From dreamtime land to coastal sand, the city to the sprawl
When the essence of my legacy unites Australians all
When Anzac legend shines a light on all who make that vow
With pride, the world will know their name a hundred years from now

Rupert McCall, OAM

Wow!... I wish I could write like that Ken. I think one has really got to have had combat experience in order to adequately articulate such an exceptional verse. :/ my combat experience is limited to shanghai's at 30m against the kids from the 'pommy camp'. :playful: I was a squad leader of the Farnborough Rd. boys :cool: ;)

It times like this my mind and emotions turn to my Great Uncle who, with his ship mates was finally found last year after many years of searching.
1554288338_last_known_image_of_ae1_9_sep_1914_yarra_amp_australia_in_the_background.jpg

Last known image, with the HMAS Yarra and HMAS Parramatta (the smaller) in the background, a short time later AE1 imploded.
Her sister ship AE2, saved potentially many ANZAC lives by preventing the Turkish navy from sailing for Gallipoli until she was sunk. An untold part of the Gallipoli story.

My great uncle on my mothers side, Private Albert James Voller of Eaglehawk Bendigo who served at Gallipoli.
Born 11/11/1893
Died 29/11/1915
Served with the 24 Australian Infantry
Buried at Browns Dip Cemetery 500m from Anzac Cove, exhumed and moved to Lone Pine in 1923
This photo taken 14 days before his death
1554366901_image.jpg

reefer said:
Yeah Ken...I'm waiting on a poem from me as well! :argh: Gonna get away over easter...come back somewhat recharged with the smell of campfire smoke in my hair. :p :fire: :goldpan: Lots of soul searching and mind adjustment required! :Y:
hey Reefer has the fire ban season finished over your way so you can get campfire smoke in your hair ours doesnt finish til the 30th april and it was bloody cold out at worlds end reserve the other night no fire i really missed it
Pagan P

Hi Mackka, I have downloaded his service records, they make interesting reading, correspondence to his parents on his death, notifications of return of personal items, wills, pay slips, medical history etc
Sadly I am unable to get access to my mothers brothers records, his are classified, WW2 veteran, Fats was a very quiet man where is war record was concerned.

Dihusky said:
It times like this my mind and emotions turn to my Great Uncle who, with his ship mates was finally found last year after many years of searching.
Last known image, with the HMAS Yarra and HMAS Parramatta (the smaller) in the background, a short time later AE1 imploded.
Her sister ship AE2, saved potentially many ANZAC lives by preventing the Turkish navy from sailing for Gallipoli until she was sunk. An untold part of the Gallipoli story.

Dihusky

That has been told - Peter Fitzgibbon book - think it was called Gallipoli.
You should read it
The AE1 and 2 story is in there and it is a great read and lists some of the unsung heroes from Gallipoli

Latest posts