Anyone long term Cycling Across Australia witha bicycle?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend hates gold detecting and gem hunting, I've taken her on a couple of trips and all she wanted to do was go home. We were watching Aussie gold hunters last night and when a 53g nug came out of the ground she said "why aren't you over there"? :D

Geez she makes me laugh sometimes. The show certainly makes you feel like anyone can do it but yeah, without the knowledge and equipment you're wasting your time and potentially going to get into real trouble.

DTC I think your original ban ends tomorrow, just wait it out mate and don't get on the mod teams nerves. ;)

Strangest place to see a bike rider would have to be on a trip I did last year where I drove the Tanami track from Alice Springs to Halls Creek.
I was about 300 ks into the trip driving over fairly rough gravel with bull dust holes and corrugations interspersed with dry deep ruts left by heavy trucks from a recent rain event. When I noticed a single bike rider travelling south on a normal road bike wearing the obligatory lycra, in other words the usual MAMIL you normally find blocking traffic around our cities. This guy failed to even acknowledge me as I drove past and gave him a wave as you normally do with passing traffic in the boonies. Now this bloke was heading toward Alice Springs so he must have already done the other 800 ks if he had started at the northern end of the track, there was no sign of any support vehicle, he had barely any gear or spare water stowed on his bike. But what he did have was the gaunt and strained expression of someone who is utterly exhausted and the closest thing I have seen to a "Thousand Yard Stare" outside of combat zones. I would hate to think how many punctures this idiot had already suffered during that trip and he would still be in for a lot more having already seen the road conditions he was heading into. Anyhoo I continued on knowing I had cold beer in the fridge behind me and plenty of water to wash off the dust at the end of the day and wished the bike rider all the luck in the world. He would need it. :D

Heatho said:
My missus hates gold detecting and gem hunting, I've taken her on a couple of trips and all she wanted to do was go home. We were watching Aussie gold hunters last night and when a 53g nug came out of the ground she said "why aren't we over there"? :D

Geez she makes me laugh sometimes. The show certainly makes you feel like anyone can do it but yeah, without the knowledge and equipment you're wasting your time and potentially going to get into real trouble.

Yeah, I had those same conversations almost word for word,

Greetings everyone, a bit of a mixup with email communications and multiple mods. Sorry for the Drama. MAke no mistake, I have no idea why people get so much free time they can troll. Im as serious as a heart attack. I am not sure how its going to go down exactly, but the bicycle is a ways to a means. I know people who have cycled all throughout the world. Look it up. As muych as I like riding a bike, I am not going there to ride a bike first and foremost. I have not studied the maps well enough or planned the final destinations well enough to know where Ill end up. But wherever that is it will be by bike. It looks like Ill be travelling with a partner, and tif Im lucky Ill be able to pitch this successfully to discovery channel. Ha, thats just a long shot... never know.

There is a lot to this mission:
=========================================
Maximum distance vs Water Supply
(ALSO A SERIOUS THING.. CAN I SCHEDULE WATER DROPS?)
Raising funds fast enough to make my travel window
Raising enough funds for equipment
setting correct waypoints based on funds raised and other capabilities

And the long shot-
shooting for a minumum of 40 OZ of gold, or minimum 24 oz over three months
(hoping for a much Larger amount)

As to everyones warnings... Trust me I am heeding each one.

Hard for me to believe though that people would have me turned away at the Australia border..

Seems there would not be anyone in Australia at all if they did that to all those who went looking for gold?

Also, whats up with the Drama? Saying I was banned in China or something looking me up on the internet... whats that jazz about?

And digging up relics and stuff... never did such a thing.

Some people get wound up pretty tight.

Why would you think I am taking a piss?

Dont bother reading the reddit link. I have no time to post my videos there. I created that... instead they are all on my youtube channel if you are real bored.

I am geting some good info, and have to do some work real time over here. Look forward to getting more info and to get to know the people in here.

Also, I think it would be cool if this forum had a dedicated area to talk about the gold mining shows... and an area for people with mining video blogs... Im trying to remember to add them to a playlist on my channel.

As to the guy talking about my kids... 3 of them have Autism and dont speak very well. Two are non-verbal. The boy in the video you heard talking was Bobby, hes the only one without Autism and we speak English at home because we were doing sign language not too long ago and I ahve children with language development issues.

On a side note, if you could do it in a 4 runner you should be confident in your self to do it on a bike.

This trip for me is about getting the gold. But riding a bike is a great thing. You should see my friend on his bike sleeping on the frozen artice sea ice

Looking forward to getting time to know you guys. Ill share steps of progress along the way, and preparation, and things I learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wAPztOO2U[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0wAPztOO2U[/video]

DTC, scheduling water drops? Who's going to do that? A lot of these place have absolutely no water at all. There is a reason that most of Australia is uninhabited and that's because most of these remote places are uninhabitable. You have to live in Australia to know how opressive and dangerous the heat of Summer can be.

Anyway all I'm going to say is best of luck on your journey as you are going to need all the luck you can get.

7.62marksman said:
1000m is a long shot this is a dream
This will be my last post on this subject
You are needlessly putting your life at risk and the safety of the rescue party

Do ya wanna borrow my LRF, Lol.

J.

MikeB05 said:
This bloke still doesn't get it. Perhaps if members stop responding to him, he will move on to another realistic and safer dream in another Forum. :)

Everyone has done their best to make him see sense and if he wants to keep going the way he is then let him get on with it, no one here will be part of the SAR so it does not effect us. I will watch it on the Tele.

J.

MikeB05 said:
This bloke still doesn't get it. Perhaps if members stop responding to him, he will move on to another realistic and safer dream in another Forum. :)
I'm with you Mike, I'm outa here , this bloke parrys every bit of reality that comes his way, even goes so far as to post counter intuitively directed answers to bypass reality in a way that's supposed to support his views ,....
yeah r i g h t, like we can't all see through t h a t ! :lol:

I fear, like most that have commented on this post.
We will all see a missing person on the goldfields somewhere.

We see that every year, just this time we know who before it happens lol.

Tell you what though, if he attempts this without at least an EPIRP and SAT phone, I'll look till I find his corpse and head butt it!

Honestly, the riding across Australia on a treddley part is not the problem. People do that every year with out incident with the proper planning and safety and support procedures in place. I've passed pushies half way across the Nullaboring on more than one occasion.

Your prospecting plans and ambitious but unrealistic gold tally and time frame is what will bring you undone.

madtuna said:
We see that every year, just this time we know who before it happens lol.

Tell you what though, if he attempts this without at least an EPIRP and SAT phone, I'll look till I find his corpse and head butt it!
This made me laugh hard. I know it should not be funny but I cant help it.

XIV said:
I fear, like most that have commented on this post.
We will all see a missing person on the goldfields somewhere.

This bloke will be lucky to get past immigration on the way in..someone will say 'what's the purpose of your trip' and he will tell a 3 hour story of finding his 90 ounce riches and staring in a TV show. They will then boot him for not having the right visa.

If he does get through and get's into trouble, that would be sad, but he doesn't seem receptive to advice and seems averse to research by wanting everyone to tell him stuff and answer his repetitive questions and then ignoring or discounting much of what he is told but some pretty seasoned members.

Maybe if we send him a couple of episodes of Bering Sea Gold...he will head to Alaska and leave us alone. :) :)

Tathradj said:
Slight problem with what type of Visa.
If he finds 60 ounces of Gold in a 6 month time frame,
about $95,000, How would that stand. ???

Think his only planning a 3 month trip according to earlier posts !

Latest posts