Gemstones Around the Snowys

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Heading down to Thredbo on Wednesday for Marys birthday. Planning a day at Yarrongabilly Caves, maybe a hike up Kosiusko and a day out fossicking somewhere.

So looking for suggestions outside of the national park that will be fun for two beginners. Looking to scratch around for some gemstones.

I was thinking a drive up to Tumbarumba. That might be 2.5 - 3 hours drive I guess. Anywhere a bit closer? I don't mind the drive if its possibly worth the effort. Of course there is never any guarantees 😆

I wasn't sure what was was around Adaminaby. From what I can see that is possibly more gold?

Oh yeah, and we are only two wheel drive. So not up for any Leyland Brothers adventures (only the oldies will get that🤣🤣)

I have been going through past threads on this subject and read some good information.

Thanks,

Justin & Mary...

Tumba is your best bet mate easy access and great ground. Just jump in at the reserve next to the road bridge and go for a wander, bonus is it's a really nice drive from Thredbo hahah

Hi mate,

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the area around Paddy's River and the falls. Not sure if it's worth it there?

Another thread I found here mentioned Parsons Gully.

I guess any of the creeks and rivers are worth a look?

Justin & Mary...

Hi mate,

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the area around Paddy's River and the falls. Not sure if it's worth it there?

Another thread I found here mentioned Parsons Gully.

I guess any of the creeks and rivers are worth a look?

Justin & Mary...
Yeah Paddy's at the bridge reserve is the easiest access just go for a wander up or downstream and try find some gravels that might not have been looked through yet!

Cheers mate. Sitting in a Cooma cafe having breakfast. I love the drive down here. The rolling hills and big views of the Monaro Hwy. So much space and freedom after Sydney 😎

Will definitely check Paddy's River reserve. Thank you. We will let you know how we go 🙂

Justin & Mary....

Hi all,

Well nothing exciting to report from our day at Paddys River. Beautiful spot though! And the river glitters with fine specks of fools gold ( I think).

We had a great day poking around in the water. Perfect weather and got a good tan.

I think the place has some potential. Just need to dig in places where the masses haven't been. We didn't have a lot of time, so I just expanded on a hole that was already started. Pulled out lots of nice little pieces of quartz. Citrine, smoky, clear. I think we found a tiny Ruby too. Lots of colour though that Mary was happy with. Photo is of small selection of what was found.

I did all the work though. Mary fossicked for blackberries and swam in the hole I was digging. What a great fossicking assistant!🙄🤣🤣

Was a great day, and we met a couple from QLD that were caravaning there, been there for a month. The gentleman was kind enough to show us some sieving techniques and give us a couple of basic hints and geology lessons. Very kind🙂

Anyway, can't wait to get away again somewhere.

Justin & Mary...

Attachments

• IMG-20240206-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20240206-WA0002.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240201_150143.jpg
    20240201_150143.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240201_150011.jpg
    20240201_150011.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Hey Can, yeah was a beautiful drive. Never done that before. The view back to the western side of the main range is awesome. Some great looking camp sites through there too 😎

Can't wait for the next road trip 🤣
Yeah mate some amazing camps down there! I can't wait to get down there again, one of my favourite parts of the state for sure! The navy strength gin at Wild Brumby in Crackenback is enough to bring me back, even scenery/gems/trout aside hahah

Hahaha Dan, the Wild Brumby schnapps is not bad. The Gin Bar in Thredbo is not bad either. But if you want the best best schnapps, go visit the Candlelight lodge for dinner. Their peppermint Freisgeist at ℅56 hits the spot 🤣🤣🤣

Love the mountains. Been home a week and my mind is still there! 🤣

Latest posts