Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grubstake, your article about native animals being immune to 1080 is pure bull..... Propaganda. Aerial baiting in East Gippsland where I owned several hundred acres saw a dramatic reduction in the number of quolls, goannas, and other native species.
At one stage reseeding of clearfelled logging coupes was threatened by swamp and red necked wallabies eating the seedlings, so the forestry department aerial baited with carrots laced with 1080. A mate who worked for forestry became a whistle blower, lost his job and was threatened with among other things, physical violence.
Don't believe press releases from government agencies.

Oh Im so sad to read this post Steve. :8

Its so terrible for little Elvis, and for you. :brokenh:

Woof, woof, woofety, woooooffff Elvis.

Reg Wilson said:
Grubstake, your article about native animals being immune to 1080 is pure bull..... Propaganda. Aerial baiting in East Gippsland where I owned several hundred acres saw a dramatic reduction in the number of quolls, goannas, and other native species.
At one stage reseeding of clearfelled logging coupes was threatened by swamp and red necked wallabies eating the seedlings, so the forestry department aerial baited with carrots laced with 1080. A mate who worked for forestry became a whistle blower, lost his job and was threatened with among other things, physical violence.
Don't believe press releases from government agencies.

Probably true but also probably more appropriate in another string :argh:

Dog Ranger, What do you mean 'probably true'? And who are you to say where it is appropriate?
I once asked a department official what 'species specific' meant. His answer. "We bury it".

Not sure any animal is immune to 1080 but it is a fact that many natives have a tollerance to it. Dogs and cats etc only need one small bait where as many natives would need anything up to five or more and even then some will recover.
1080 is Sodium fluoroacetate which is synthetic not natural, where as Potassium fluoroacetate is the natural version found in a number of plants species here in the west that are in the diet of many natives.

1080 used with baited canid ejectors is species specific. Only dogs can set off the ejector.

Dingos will often shy away from a bait where a wild dog will scoff one down every time.

As for crows picking up and dropping baits, while that could happen no doubt, there seem to be a lack of any factual evidence of that happening. It is usually brought out when a domestic dog dies in town. But realistically that can usually be put down to a disgruntled neighbour.
The same can be said for the other myth that baits get transported in the tread of tyres and dumped elsewhere for a dog to pick up. This one for some odd reason is usually surfaces when a dog dies in a van park.

Yes baits are horrible. It's a shocking and painful way to go. But it is damn quick! I shot pup at about a minute after symptoms were evident. I have no doubt he would not have lasted another minute anyway.

Shooting is brilliant. Bang! Dog is dead. But it's not an effective control method as you just dont see 95% of the dogs.

Trapping works well too and I have good success with the traps. But again you'll probably get maybe 1%. The traps are also a nasty way to go as they are laced with strychnine. It is illegal for us to trap without it as the dog will suffer until someone checks the traps to put it down.

I hate 1080. I hate strychnine. But until someone comes up with a better alternative we have no choice but to use it.

Sorry for your loss madtuna...not much worse than having to put a pet down..time heals...and just to add to some of the above comments...we were talking to an older couple whilst we were away...they had just had to have their 2 small dogs put down at vets due to baiting...but they were staying in a large caravan park at the time...??....the dogs were observed playing with a dead bird and got sick very shortly after...they were saying that the bird died from baiting and the dogs picked up some of the bait from the dead bird...
So maybe it can happen...i dunno...we always take alot care of our dogs whilst we are out n about...but sometimes :poop: happens...

Went for a wander in the backyard the other day with my wife Carolyn and all of a sudden she shrieked-JACK!!Jack!!jack!! Of course being a man who has descended from the days of chivalry etc. I walked up to the spot she was at and there was this massive bloody RAT. Nelson our Cocker Spaniel being a lover of birds and nature had found this somewhere in the backyard. Anyway it was a job and a half trying to get this rat away from him, eventually having to use the hose to get him to drop it.
I removed the rat to the garbage bin where it belonged and tried to work out how he had got in the first placed.
I had recently got our 6 mthly termite and pest control check done and it seems that the rat had succumbed to one of their slugs of bait.
I spoke with John our pest controller and he said it was the bait he had thrown into our roof which he said was also good for possums as well.
Now if Nelson had broken the skin of the rat he could have died an ugly death as well. So be wary of domestic rat/mice baits coz it might take your pet away from you and we wouldn't want that to happen would we. :(

Latest posts