Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on a whole lot of environmental factors so varies. Best to assume they remain toxic until eaten or eventually disintegrate which could be years.

yep...much much longer though it will degrade quickly in water.

I have had to put down prospectors dogs that have taken a bait in areas that were baited 6 months previously or longer.

madtuna said:
yep...much much longer though it will degrade quickly in water.

I have had to put down prospectors dogs that have taken a bait in areas that were baited 6 months previously or longer.

Much more humane than watching them die but hey MT ? :/

cuppla buckets full of rocks painted a gold colour dropped around duketon will keep them enthused tuna...... :)

also if where up that way any chance of a fresh bread drop every 3-4 days,no frozen stuff.....

I often think about how many baits do not get taken? such a cruel way to do it but unfortunately probably the most effective

Goldchaser1 said:
cuppla buckets full of rocks painted a gold colour dropped around duketon will keep them enthused tuna...... :)

also if where up that way any chance of a fresh bread drop every 3-4 days,no frozen stuff.....

Hey Dave,

You just have to make it. We got one of those coleman collapsable ovens and Carol made us bread, pitta bread, scones, carrot sultana cake, apple pie and even a nice roast. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Ps, not trying to take over your thread Steve. :D

Pity we can't use a bait type that people can carry an antidote to. I'm not sure about what they use, but if there is an antidote lm not aware of it. Plenty of people that go bushwalking with their dogs, not just us buggers with gold fever.

Matt80 said:
Pity we can't use a bait type that people can carry an antidote to. I'm not sure about what they use, but if there is an antidote lm not aware of it. Plenty of people that go bushwalking with their dogs, not just us buggers with gold fever.

I'm not if there is an antidote or not. All I know is you don't have long once the dog has taken a bait

We did aerial baiting with a chopper for Dingo's at Ross River in Alice many years ago. Strictly governed. Signs everywhere. Baits were gps tagged. They were pieces of meat of a size that was too small for two dogs to fight over, apparently too big for the dog to go looking for another or for a bird to pick up, too big for a lizard to gorge on, but big enough for one dog to just gobble it in one foul swoop. And big enough for one injection of 10-80. One week later we went out and picked up the untaken baits. All two of them went in the fire. I think it was 23 that were never found...

Rockhunter62 said:
Goldchaser1 said:

Hey Dave,

You just have to make it. We got one of those coleman collapsable ovens and Carol made us bread, pitta bread, scones, carrot sultana cake, apple pie and even a nice roast. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug

as long as its better then damper it sounds ok,i hate that stuff :)

Rockhunter62 said:
Goldchaser1 said:

Hey Dave,

Cheers

Doug

My guests were just amazed that out in the middle of the WA dessert they got scones with jam and cream. It was a highlight of thier day, so again thank you both!

Goldchaser1 said:

I bombed a Stanley thermos out the chute once aiming for the back of a ute, unfortunately it was a dirrect hit but went through the back window and out through the front one :8

Matt80 said:

There is a new bait in the works with an antidote but it will take years before it becomes viable and mainstream. Even then it will be a matter of having the antidote there on the spot, probably with a shelf life and most likely with a considerable cost.

For the record, I hate baiting, but understand it has to be done.
When I shoot something (which I don't enjoy doing either) I know it is dead quickly and I hope relatively painlessly. Also it is selective not indiscriminate.

madtuna said:
Goldchaser1 said:

I bombed a Stanley thermos out the chute once aiming for the back of a ute, unfortunately it was a dirrect hit but went through the back window and out through the front one :8

Crikey Steve,

Out of the three and a half years at the bombing range, I only saw a couple of practise bombs go into the cupola on the tank turret that was the target. I think I might get you signed up into the airforce. ;)

Cheers

Doug

its a horrible way to stress the danger of 1080 baits, but unfortunately last night I had to shoot Elvis.

We do not bait anywhere near or at the homestead. The baits are kept in a locked shed and the strychnine is kept in a locked toolbox in a locked pelican trunk.

But some how Elvis still managed to find one. The only thing I can think of is when the bait truck delivered last week, possibly one fell out near the bait shed and Elvis found it.

Anyway, no matter how or where he found it, Elvis is now dead from a bait.

So far this season Ive shood off 5 prospectors who have brought their dog along. Please do NOT bring your dog! If you do and I find you, you will be made to leave.
You cannot bring a dog on to a pastoral lease without pastoral permission.

If that pisses anyone off and if Im rather blunt when asking you to leave, I dont really give a fig. I care more about your dog than your damn holiday.

Latest posts