Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fellas. I never wanted a dog for this exact reason. Everyone else thought I needed a dog and a friend turned up and said heres your new dog! He absolutely meant well and Im great full for his intentions. But the risk is just too great.

I put the baits and traps out, I know where they are so I can mitigate the chances of my dog coming across one by not letting him out near them and by muzzling him. But still he found one.

Sorry hear Madtuna. Over in Ballarat the bitch fox use to take back the baits and store them up for the pups. Kms away. Thats how the baits travels here in Victoria

Ward69 said:
Sorry hear Madtuna. Over in Ballarat the bitch fox use to take back the baits and store them up for the pups. Kms away. Thats how the baits travels here in Victoria

I've heard that crows will also pick the baits up and carry them some distance away from the original baited location.

So sorry to hear that little Elvis has left the building - gone too soon. :flowers:

grubstake said:
Ward69 said:

I've heard that crows will also pick the baits up and carry them some distance away from the original baited location.

So sorry to hear that little Elvis has left the building - gone too soon. :flowers:
I didn't think anything got far with a bait in its mouth. Jaros if you live in the country you never let animals suffer, period. Viva las vegas , Elvis has left the room.

Gimp said:
I didn't think anything got far with a bait in its mouth. Jaros if you live in the country you never let animals suffer, period. Viva las vegas , Elvis has left the room.

Here in WA, many of the native creatures have some degree of immunity to 1080 poison, because the actual toxin used also occurs naturally in a number of native plants and bushes (particularly Gastrolobium sp), to which they are exposed throughout their lives.

Interesting article which gives more details:
https://landcareaustralia.org.au/pr...n-toxin-protecting-plants-wildlife-predators/

That's heart breaking news. Sorry for your loss, real shame nice looking pup to. :brokenh:

Latest posts