Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't know where this conversation is going.

My point is that Australia is by far not the only coultry in the world that uses 1080, as originally stated, and my view is that it's not the poison itself that is the problem, but the practice of laying out poison baits, full stop.

Didn't read all the posts so I hope I am not repeating anything. On the farm we have the paddocks that are baited with 1080 clearly sign posted at the gate entries, even paddocks where no public access is allowed. The signs are large and red and give contact details of the person who lays the baits. We also check them to see how many are gone etc. We baited 86 a couple of years ago and all were gone, there are a lot of foxes in this area. The year before that we lost over 100 lambs to foxes that just kill them and leave the remains, so kill them for fun, it's terrible. In these times I don't take Max (my pup) out with me to those paddocks at all as dogs die pretty much as quick as the foxes sometimes, which is not long. Sometimes you will even find foxes near the bait or on the dirt roads in the middle of them.

If taking a pup always have them tied up but remember people put baits under scrub and other places where foxes would go and dogs would sniff and urinate so it is never a safe bet.

We bait correctly, that doesn't mean everyone does. The farm has lost a dog to baiting as National Parks baited an area close by, didn't tell anyone or sign post it :(

Merry

Daffy dog now that is funny.
Your dog bites the bloke next door. Police and Ranger arrive to remove the offending dog.
Sorry officer I only have a Rottenduck with a yellow beak....!
Thesmithy

Hes a maltese and a terrible guard dog. Biting someone is something i dont worry about. He would rather play with intruders lol.
But I will add the duck bill to the pile of crap the missus buys the dog. He currently has 3 coats, a superman out fit and a bear costume.
Sometimes I wish we got a real dog :|
Greg

Went and got some fire wood yesterday and took me best mate as usual and the little staffy must have picked up a bait, about 2 hours after we got home he started going crazy so I rushed him to the vets but it was to late, a very upset family last night, bloody 1080

the little bloke

1400964360_photo_1_1.jpg

yes it should be banned, what he went through before I could get him to the vets was horrific.
no animal should have to suffer that way

Sorry to hear that mate. Would be better to use cage traps but then who would maintain them. Nothing worse then a pet going like that. Been thinking of getting a Dog to take with me prospecting but to worried about this sort of thing happening.

Cliff

That's terrible mate, we had a very close call with our little boy last year. What area were you in?

DD

hard losing your mate like one of the family had similar thing happen with rat bait but dog survived thank god

Diggerdude said:
That's terrible mate, we had a very close call with our little boy last year. What area were you in?

DD

I was out around Dunedoo, I now recall a radio announcement some weeks back about aerial baiting around our districts and im guessing that this area may have been covered as I didn't see the normal signage that is displayed. lesson learned

Jaros said:
I know how gut wrenching this feels. Its worse than losing a human member of your family as they really are your best mate.
Chin up.
I'd trade my dogs life for a family member any day.

Sorry to hear the death of your dog very sad

Latest posts