Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We havent come across 1080 as yet, that we know of. We see plenty of signs but havent seen baits, its a horrid stuff. Thankfully its all good. Looks like the muzzels are the go.

Wow, I would never had thought of that, thanx for sharing it cause I will certainly be taking caution from now on

Hi guys, this question is regarding 1080 wild dog baits.
When fi and myself Go out fossicking we often take the mutt along with us.
Although prevention is the best cure sometimes I just lose track of him and I always get paranoid that he will find one and won't return.
Whats the first sign that your dog may have got one?
Is there any form of first aid you can do too a dog to increase his chances if a vet is hours away?
Im interested in hearing any advice or stories you all may have.
Cheers
Greg

If your dog eats one of those he ain't coming back there's nothing you can do other than prevent it happening. I just keep my dog close or don't take him

I think you ll find that any property that has been set, will at regular distances and on all gates have a 1080 sign. I believe that stopped the aerial 1080 program and now all baits are layer and registered.

As for the signs, Can t help sorry, seen the end result, not the journey.

He has a habbit of disappearing as soon as he gets the chance. But he always comes back.
I should invest in a muzzle. Might be the best way.

Not a lot you can do about it Mate, but this is the end result from "The General" who lost his best Mate.

video, removed owing to PBucket restrictions.

Thanks for that wal. I watched that not long ago. Although its a subject I think about from time to time that vid is what sparked my interest to find answers.
Greg

Talking to my boss (cattle farmer) about this very subject the other day. The vet told him to make the dog vomit but there is not much that can be done. I've seen dogs that have eaten baits, a horrible way to die, not pretty. A muzzle may be the way to go.
:) Mick

Know of two guys that have lost dogs to 1080 baits, and unless they happen to take it outside the vets clinic it's good night I'm afraid. Wouldn't be a great thing to have to go through.

Wal.

Of course you can bait proof your pooch, the procedure is fairly simple, done properly it is more then effective. My bloke won t even eat from someone else unless he gets my approval.

Feed him up before you go, a few treats out there can't hurt either. As others have suggested a muzzle is probably the most effective means.

Goldtarget said:
Feed him up before you go, a few treats out there can't hurt either. As others have suggested a muzzle is probably the most effective means.

That may work to an extent. Hes not a garbage guts like I am. I will feed him to the point he doesnt want to look at food.
But I think a muzzle is the best bet so far.

Doesn't matter how much you feed them or train them to eat on commands.

If they're running around in the bush and the "Master" isn't around, they "WILL" chew on a bait if they find one. Long lead, fixed to where you're working, (if banking or sluicing), or muzzle if you're detecting is the only reasonable safeguard.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts