Aerial baiting, Baits - 1080 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will make the missus read this so when were out somewhere new it will be easier to convince her to leave him home.
I just couldnt imagine watching the little fella go though a terrible death like that.
Greg

Nar wal, he ll sniff won' t lick or eat anything, only drinks from his bowl. Like I said do it properly no worries, but you have to be cruel to be kind unfortunately. If you spend a lot of time in the bush, it is a good safe guard. But I think the 1080 program for state forests, crown land and national parks has been stopped, so most would have only a Remote probability of incurrence.

I think now it is only private property, could be wrong, but where it is done, like I said they post signs fairly heavily. Not that widely used as it use to be, there is a lot of backlash on the program, not that effective I hear.

Nothing will save a dog from 1080.
They are baiting all through the North East of Victoria because of the massive amount of WIld Dogs out there. Simple thing to follow here, keep your dog on a lead or take your chances. Its not just baits as if your pooch finds an animal that's just died from a bait and eats it, he is toast as well.
The problem is that many a domestic pooch has followed a scent, and never been found by its owner. These domestic pooches turn feral and can kill 50 sheep in a night. The injuries to livestock by domestic pooches is horrific.
If you don't want to put your pet at risk, leave it home.
Sorry if you don't agree but I am a dog owner and there are too many baits around here to risk the family pet.

Village said:
Nar wal, he ll sniff won' t lick or eat anything, only drinks from his bowl. Like I said do it properly no worries, but you have to be cruel to be kind unfortunately. If you spend a lot of time in the bush, it is a good safe guard. But I think the 1080 program for state forests, crown land and national parks has been stopped, so most would have only a Remote probability of incurrence.

I think now it is only private property, could be wrong, but where it is done, like I said they post signs fairly heavily. Not that widely used as it use to be, there is a lot of backlash on the program, not that effective I hear.

Love to catch up at the Forde on your next trip mate. I'll take the dog for a walk away from the camp (and his home surrounds) by myself with only the vid camera and a snack. Put a carton of beer on the results mate.

Trained many dogs over the years and if taken away from their trained environment, they cant resist "tit bits", especially if the trainer is nowhere in sight.

Cheers Wal

Yes nasty stuff that, next door neighbour had 3 working dogs that got into the 1080 bucket (chicken heads) before the farmer had a chance to put them out. Even with the prompt visit (15 min) to the Vets two didn't make it and the third took a week to recover.

WalnLiz said:
Village said:

Love to catch up at the Forde on your next trip mate. I'll take the dog for a walk away from the camp (and his home surrounds) by myself with only the vid camera and a snack. Put a carton of beer on the results mate.

Trained many dogs over the years and if taken away from their trained environment, they cant resist "tit bits", especially if the trainer is nowhere in sight.

Cheers Wal

No worries Wal

Did my training courtesy of the raaf fire and security school, for some reason they decided that we should have land sharks in the team, so we spent six months learning how to train them. It works. Use to be one of the events of the tri service dog games, military, police and corrective services. When you train land sharks, they learn the hard way. This is not your local kennel stuff type training. I prefer Heineken, best served at 2deg in within 14 days of brewing.

Force em to drink salt water , this will make em spew out any that is in there guts. Then get em to the vet quick. There is no antidote, what the vet gives them is similar to morphine, it relaxes them and makes em spew. The poison can take 5mins to an hour to kick in depending on how much they have eaten. The majority of dogs will die within 2-4hrs of taking it.
I've heard some horrific stories of people loosing dogs in the goldfields, safest bet is a muzzle.

DD

I worked for a wheat and sheep farmer many years ago. Had to lay 1080 baits for rabbits on many occasions. Used a specially built trailer with a 44 gal drum rigged to roll on the top of the tyres. As it did so, every time the little adjustable door came around, it would drop a couple of carrot chunks into the furrow left by a single disc plow mounted on the front of the trailer. A log or something dragged along behind did a good enough job of burying the chunks. One or two "free feeds" then do another run with treated carrots.
This tactic usually resulted in a better "kill" as the rabbits were now less timid and used to the free feed.

Anyway, there's a couple of points here. When handling the gear/treated carrots, we had to tie up the farm dogs and stay away from them. An innocuous lick of the hand or clothes could bring disaster, that's how deadly the stuff is. I've been told it's not deadly to humans, but I aint trying it.
The second point is the use of a furrow to lay the baits. Now I haven't laid "dog" baits, but I'd suggest this may be the preferred method. The reason being, usually people who see these flattened out single furrows, rightfully conclude the association with "Baits", especially where there are 1080 signs around.
I say this is the preferred method, as it relies to the dogs sense of smell to find the bait and not his eyesight, or for that matter, the eyesight of birds, hawks and other native animals.

I remember foxes used to get nailed, as they fed on the rabbit carcasses. Unfortunately magpies, crows etc used to cop it as well. Potentially, your dog also. Good operators, farmers etc, would go around every day or two to pick up carcasses to limit "collateral damage".

Back when Fox skins were fetching up to $35 each, some guys were baiting specifically for foxes. These guys would simply go around the next day and pick up the dead foxes. Baited animals rarely moved far. I'm told a good skin buyer could tell. I believe it results in hair slip (loss) on the pelt.

This all happened some 40 years ago when I lived in Horsham Vic. so that's about as good as I can recollect.

My thought's,, minimum, go for a good muzzle and stay away from single furrow plow marks which seem to go willy nilly around the place. If your dog is a "licker" and can get his tongue past the muzzle, be extra careful.

As far as rabbits go these days, Myxo and Calisi might be doing the bulk of the work, but baiting rabbits is still used I believe.

Cheers, Ron.

My mate baits his farm to keep the foxes down because they take the kid goats just after birth even though they have alpacas guarding the mob. The does are hopeless in guarding their young.
He has to jump through hoops to get the 1080 chicken heads.
Up go the signs on the gates and fences then every head has to be marked with a flag on a stick and those not taken, I think in a fortnight, have to be dug up and returned.
It knocks the foxes over that's for sure.

If a human gets enough it will kill you real dead....you can't get much deader than that.
it works on the nervous system.
The simpler the nervous system the better the effect.
Or better still less poison needed.

Eg. A dog needs 5 mils injected into a large bait (piece of meat)
A pig only needs a squirt of poison on same bait for a kill.
A fox now is a small 20mm x 20mm block. Available from NPWS with a permit
A feral cat about the same as a Fox
down the chain
rabbits just a wiff on a carrot or these days pellets.
a bird any bird will be killed just by taking a peck from any carrion.
Again the nervous system
it is non selective it will kill any animal.

Australia is one of only a few countrys that still use 1080 poison (corrected after further research)
It is now banned in most civilized countrys that have native invertebrate mammals

30 years ago if a human was contaminated into a cut on a finger the finger would have to be amputated immediately as the further the poison travels the more damage to the nervous system occurs. It was so uncontrolled we used to load it into aircraft in plastic bins and using a 3 prong BBQ fork flick it out the door as we flew low over pig infested area that we could not get to by road. The kills were astronomical hundreds of dead pigs quite a few dingos and to many crows to count.
all we would wear was kitchen sink gloves if you could get them and leather over gloves.
Run by the Pastoral protection board of Qld in 1970 around the liverpool range area Northern Qld.
there is no cure what so ever.
There has been no recorded deaths due to the restrictive availability and stringent control measures.
most baits now are pre packaged with no human contact.

Be pre warned if the area you are traveling in has baits laid for wild dogs foxes. Keep your dogs at home.
there is very little a vet can do by the time you get your dog to them.

some facts:
It is extracted from the heart leaf plant.......found in the Goulbourn valley victoria.

Birds only need to sniff it.

Csiro has made findings that indicate that 1080 poison is untracable in the bodys of all animals shortly after death has occured.

The 2 CSIRO scientists found dead on the banks of the lane cove river in Nsw in the early sixtys to this day has still not been solved.
The theory is they were poisoned with 1080 no traces were ever found of any poison or any other cause of death.
1080 is a very quick and cruel death........The bodies were not traumatized or distressed in any way when found.
That is the only reason 1080 has been dismissed as the cause of death.
cheers.

Definitely leave your mate at home or a muzzle at all times.
In WA 10X1000's of baits are aerial dropped every year to try and combat wild dogs.
If you visit WA forget about relying on a vet, the nearest is probably 6 + hours away.
Blame the @&%*^@ Greens for this escalation in wild dog population. Given the chance I'd take a few of them out there and tie them to a tree.
They the "Greens" have been involved in buying up Pastoral Leases and returning them to the wild, removing tanks & windmills and not removing all the stock who are left to die a horrible slow death.
Then they the "Greens" condemn how the livestock trade overseas is barbaric. Go figure?

Nightjar said:
Definitely leave your mate at home or a muzzle at all times.
In WA 10X1000's of baits are aerial dropped every year to try and combat wild dogs.
If you visit WA forget about relying on a vet, the nearest is probably 6 + hours away.
Blame the @&%*^@ Greens for this escalation in wild dog population. Given the chance I'd take a few of them out there and tie them to a tree.
They the "Greens" have been involved in buying up Pastoral Leases and returning them to the wild, removing tanks & windmills and not removing all the stock who are left to die a horrible slow death.
Then they the "Greens" condemn how the livestock trade overseas is barbaric. Go figure?

Hear where you're coming from on that one Nightjar. Good thing many are waking up to them and fewer are hindering power at the moment.

Cheers Wal

Wow Nightjar and I was under the belief that dropping 1080 30 years ago from aircraft was barbaric.
I suppose there is no other course of action due to the vastness of Outback WA.
Don't get me wrong I am a hunter just don't like to see the wrong animals knocked over.

We won't talk about the Greens I need some sleep tonight.

Birds (crows) will carry baits into areas that have no baits. Seen a dingo on Sunday driving home from work, could have walked up and patted it, stupid gun laws, can't carry a gun in the ute!!!.
:) Mick

thesmithy said:
Australia is the only counrty on earth that still uses it.
It is banned in every other civilized country.

Been to NZ lately? Last I checked they resent being called Australian ;-)

1080 bait for brushtail possums and weasels EVERYWHERE.

mfdes said:
thesmithy said:
Australia is the only counrty on earth that still uses it.
It is banned in every other civilized country.

Been to NZ lately? Last I checked they resent being called Australian ;-)

1080 bait for brushtail possums and weasels EVERYWHERE.

I stand corrected yes NZ does use 1080 extensively on possums.
Not everywhere as you stated but in remote locations and under strict control guidlines
My Australian sourse is out dated.
There is an antdote available for dogs if the vet has a supply.......animal must be at vets within 3 to 4 hrs of consuming bait or contaminated
carcass.......prognosis is guarded.....survival rates are not published.
cheers.

thesmithy said:
Not everywhere as you stated but in remote locations and under strict control guidlines
My Australian sourse is out dated.
There is an antdote available for dogs if the vet has a supply.......animal must be at vets within 3 to 4 hrs of consuming bait or contaminated
carcass.......prognosis is guarded.....survival rates are not published.
cheers.

I used 'everywhere' in a figurative way, but they do use it quite a bit. It is considered very effective and safe as far as poisons go. My problem, personally, is not with 1080 but with laying down poison baits (of any kind) indiscriminately. That said, I accept that sometimes it's the only thing that works.

I've never heard of a pet lasting 3-4 hours after eating it though. I guess if they take a tiny dose maybe. Usually death is pretty fast, like 1/2h to 45m, according to my vet. I lost 2 dogs to snake bite last year, and while discussing it with the vet I was asking a lot of questions about 1080 poisoning, as the post-mortem hadn't come in yet and cause of death was unknown at that stage.

Also, Wikipedia have it as being in use in the US (but not as scattered baits), Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan, Korea and Mexico.

Please. Who believes anything Wikipedia produces.
if it is being used in the US it is being used illegally as the NRA had a national campaign to ban it totally.
It is a banned substance in the US now.
Please read the post before commenting.
I never said the dogs lasted 3 to 4 hrs.
It was a vet time span.
cheers.

thesmithy said:
Please. Who believes anything Wikipedia produces.
if it is being used in the US it is being used illegally as the NRA had a national campaign to ban it totally.
It is a banned substance in the US now.
Please read the post before commenting.
Well, it looks like in this case Wikipedia is correct.
Here are the links for the current US EPA fact sheet: http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/3073fact.pdf
and US wildlife service: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicati...le_version/fs_livestock_protection_collar.pdf
1080 is being used in the US but not as scattered baits, exactly as I said.

It took me 20 seconds to find this info on google, BTW.

Seriously both those articles were produced in 2004 over 10 years ago.
ADC distributes 0.5 lbs per annum in coyote collars. Strictly controlled then.
54 coyotes were recorded as being killed by ADC collars in 2004
1080 is not used for any other purpose in the US.
hardly what I would call widely used.
I WILL SAY IT AGAIN 1080 is a banned substance in the USA in all but a few states

now what is your point here.

Latest posts