Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a gp pointer about 6 months ago.
Never had a problem with it. They get some bad press but as seen above even the name brand ones can have issues.
I sometimes take it along with me when i know im going somewhere good but dont have time/room for a full size detector.
The old man dropped his pointer from chest height onto concrete and its still going fine.
You will never regret buying a pinpointer, as long as it works as it should. Wish i had gotten one sooner.

I've only had 3 pinpointers.....Two garrett propointers, the original black one which I sold before moving to Australia, which I replaced with another of same once here and a minelab profind 25. Beach detecting or Paddocks the Garrett wins all day long.
In the GT not so sure as I use a GPX4500 which is far more sensitive to a nearby pinpointer than a beach detector plus the profind25 is not working to specification I reckon.

Ship of fools said:
I have a $60 Road Tech Marine it comes on about six inches from a coin, no change in signal from there to touching it, not much good for pin pointing.
I also have a Chinese carrot it does what its supposed to do, also $60.
Matt T

For Sale, One Chinese Carrot!
Not IP66 water proof!
Pick up only!
May need work!
1548728664_86628a31-4789-48ea-9904-6bd5b8b81b09.jpg

1548728664_8c1daecd-955f-46ef-a9a4-2c14c65e99b7.jpg

PS, when taking these apart you need to remove the on/off bung and switch before forcing the internals out!
Matt T

Ship of fools said:
Ship of fools said:
I have a $60 Road Tech Marine it comes on about six inches from a coin, no change in signal from there to touching it, not much good for pin pointing.
I also have a Chinese carrot it does what its supposed to do, also $60.
Matt T

For Sale, One Chinese Carrot!
Not IP66 water proof!
Pick up only!
May need work!

Matt T

Same as all Garret Pin pointers.. Same issue with the switch for Garret and Clones... And not too many changes in the latest units.

Can not say for certain, but looks to be the same cct board as teh old black fakes. They are not that bad but some are detectors and the rare one is a pinpointer.

After 50 odd repairs, it becomes a bore.

Rustydog1 said:
Thanks everyeveryone for all the help . I think i will save up and get a decent pinpointer and give the ebay ones a miss ,....Just have to choose what brand now ...
The ones plumbers use would be good, they find water pipes in concrete.
Once i get a nugget out of the hole i can usually pick it up in 30 seconds or less, usually less.
What else are they used for??
What am i missing? Help me out here...

The GPX5000 and most new detectors have a pinpoint mode which is very effective. These things are a gimmick, I wouldn't waste the money.

EVIE/BEE said:
The GPX5000 and most new detectors have a pinpoint mode which is very effective. These things are a gimmick, I wouldn't waste the money.
Good luck pinpointing down to 1cm with any metal detector :lol: :lol: :Y: ...I think coin and relic hunters would/or do benefit more with a pinpointer as they are trying to make as small as possible mark on the ground.And after using a few different types and buying one of the most expensive ones there are.I personaly wouldnt go detecting in a park again without it..:)

Smoky bandit said:
EVIE/BEE said:
Good luck pinpointing down to 1cm with any metal detector :lol: :lol: :Y: ...I think coin and relic hunters would/or do benefit more with a pinpointer as they are trying to make as small as possible mark on the ground. I personaly wouldnt go detecting in a park without one.:)
It comes down to the operator. I wish you luck Smoky.

EVIE/BEE said:
Smoky bandit said:
EVIE/BEE said:
Good luck pinpointing down to 1cm with any metal detector :lol: :lol: :Y: ...I think coin and relic hunters would/or do benefit more with a pinpointer as they are trying to make as small as possible mark on the ground. I personaly wouldnt go detecting in a park without one.:)
It comes down to the operator. I wish you luck Smoky.
:) :Y:

I just came across a Garrett A D S Deepseeker from the 80s been stored in case under guys bed for decades
Unfortunately he left batteries in which were shot. Cleaned that up and replaced terminals and restored power
but when try adjust settings nothing happens.No obvious signs of trouble but guess time has taken toll
I contacted Garretts who informed me no parts or manuals available
So I wondered should I persevere and find some one to go over or would I be wasting my time

EVIE/BEE said:

I don't see how you came to that conclusion. Using a pin point function on the detector tells you that the target is somewhere near the centre of the coil (or the edge) and could really be at any depth. It involves getting up and down constantly, digging a hole and getting up and swinging over it. Digging again and looking and then swinging over it again, followed by scooping dirt over the coil until you get a signal. And you cant tell really how close a target is either. A good pin pointer makes recovery times easily 5x faster for coin hunting.

Using a pin pointer for coins means that 9/10 times a tiny little plug can be cut to get to the target with almost no impact to the ground. We coin shooters cant go digging large craters with a pick and later just back fill (or even not back fill). I wouldn't even bother swinging without a pin pointer now.

Have you tried a set of headphones.
Quite common for the speaker to go on them.
Does the needle move at all. ?

trickyfarmer said:
I just came across a Garrett A D S Deepseeker from the 80s been stored in case under guys bed for decades
Unfortunately he left batteries in which were shot. Cleaned that up and replaced terminals and restored power
but when try adjust settings nothing happens.No obvious signs of trouble but guess time has taken toll
I contacted Garretts who informed me no parts or manuals available
So I wondered should I persevere and find some one to go over or would I be wasting my time

1968falconxt said:
EVIE/BEE said:

I don't see how you came to that conclusion. Using a pin point function on the detector tells you that the target is somewhere near the centre of the coil (or the edge) and could really be at any depth. It involves getting up and down constantly, digging a hole and getting up and swinging over it. Digging again and looking and then swinging over it again, followed by scooping dirt over the coil until you get a signal. And you cant tell really how close a target is either. A good pin pointer makes recovery times easily 5x faster for coin hunting.

Using a pin pointer for coins means that 9/10 times a tiny little plug can be cut to get to the target with almost no impact to the ground. We coin shooters cant go digging large craters with a pick and later just back fill (or even not back fill). I wouldn't even bother swinging without a pin pointer now.
I don't remember ever going coin hunting. Not many coins in the gold fields, i've only ever found a few. Most targets in the gold fields are at depth up to 2ft or more. No need of a pinpointer here but just one question.. What do you do when you get a deep target in say Hyde Park? You would have to walk away or end up behind bars. I could not walk away. Please remember i'm on a learning curve here.

EVIE/BEE said:
1968falconxt said:
EVIE/BEE said:

I don't remember ever going coin hunting. Not many coins in the gold fields, i've only ever found a few. Most targets in the gold fields are at depth up to 2ft or more. No need of a pinpointer here but just one question.. What do you do when you get a deep target in say Hyde Park? You would have to walk away or end up behind bars. I could not walk away. Please remember i'm on a learning curve here.

Well a pin pointer wouldn't even work on something that deep until you have dug the bulk of the hole out. So then you would definitely need to rely on the detector pin pointer. My Goldfields detector is a GM1000 so I don't have those 2ft depth issues :(

I like my cheap pin pointer from ebay. Used it a couple of times out and it really helps find objects in the ground.Saves me heaps of time digging holes bigger than i have to.

Only had it for a few weeks so time will tell if its really crap or worth the money.

mixo

Latest posts