Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a $60 Road Tech Marine it comes on about six inches from a coin, no change in signal from there to touching it, not much good for pin pointing.
I also have a Chinese carrot it does what its supposed to do, also $60.
Matt T

I have a profind from minelab.

If it is not a dud then its the worst pinpointer ever $230

Total wsste of money

Ebay can't be much worse I reckon at least its cheaper

AussieChris said:
diggit said:

Total wsste of money

Please elaborate? I have one and its amazing?
me to top pinpointer

I paid $26 for a GP off eBay and didn't expect much. I'm pleasantly surprised at how it works.

Of course I'm a newbie and have nothing to compare it to but when I bought it I new I could have wasted my money with it not working or buy something better later on. For now though I'm happy.

I'd like to hear from others what are the benifits of the expensive pointers

if they work right they work well my profind 35 runs rings around cheap pin pointers I can pin point with accuracy every time all the time with out having to dig odd shape holes trying to find the target most times I can pin point before starting to dig which makes it better on damage to the ground that's my opinion

I started with a jaycar one..worked well but it does not beep faster when going closer to the target.

Got a garret carrot copy off Ebay that lasted 10mins and the on /off switch broke.

Saved up my finds and brought a nockta RS ..Awesome pinpointer but not waterproof.

Got a mackro also a Awesome pinpointer and waterproof.

Then got a profind 35 ....Best pinpointer I've owned or used especially hunting iron infested areas when your hole may have multiple targets in it as the pointer has discrimination :)

AussieChris said:
diggit said:

Total wsste of money

It sometimes will work as designed but the next minute wont beep when you touch a target off the tip, even on max sensitivity. Then the next minute it will beep at everything, even the air and you then switch it off and on and it wont beep at a target. Two minutes later it will work as designed.
Frustrating annoying and really not a dependable unit in my view. Tbh I feel scammed as I nought it new and only used it lightly. Its been like this since new.

After buying an ebay jobbie to tyr my luck Early last year I bought a Whites TRX. It has been going well. I have been starting to have issues with max depth. I read the instructions and had been using cheap batteries where they say you MUST use good ones or lithium. Well I have used the best batteries and no change. I have gone through all the modes and can get 4" if I use beep only and no vibrate. It is set onn the deepest level with 4 beeps. When I got it it would detect an easy 7" with cheapie batteries. :)
Just saying my experience.

diggit said:
AussieChris said:
diggit said:

Total wsste of money

It sometimes will work as designed but the next minute wont beep when you touch a target off the tip, even on max sensitivity. Then the next minute it will beep at everything, even the air and you then switch it off and on and it wont beep at a target. Two minutes later it will work as designed.
Frustrating annoying and really not a dependable unit in my view. Tbh I feel scammed as I nought it new and only used it lightly. Its been like this since new.
Mate there is something wrong with it take it back.

I bought the Chinese Ebay orange Garrett for my parents as they rarely get out anyway. I dont like it, works... sort of but does my head in pretty quick.

I myself have a detectnix from Nenad, just the $138 and its awsome

They chinese pinpointers are crap. Anyone who says they work well clearly has not tried any of the decent brands. I have the Garrett carrot and bought my partner the orange "GP pointer" which is the carrot rip off. Looks the same from a distance but probably has at most 20% of the sensitivity. Also when it tilts sideways it starts beeping for no reason. It also feels like it will break if you drop it on soft grass. Whereas the carrot can be driven over by a Ford Ranger and still work as good as new (happened to my mates one).

I guess it depends on what your intended target is. If it's for larger relics and coins, the surface area may be sufficient to give an adequate signal, but I would have my doubts about using a cheapie in the gold fields trying to pin point a sub gram nugget.

Jaros said:
Wht didn't you send it back for a replacement or a refund?

I didn't get out in the bush for about six months after buying it. Then only got out a couple times in the next six months for a couple hours each time. By the time I realised for certain that it was a total lemon I had it over a year and had lost the receipt.

diggit said:
Jaros said:

I didn't get out in the bush for about six months after buying it. Then only got out a couple times in the next six months for a couple hours each time. By the time I realised for certain that it was a total lemon I had it over a year and had lost the receipt.
It's got a 2 yr warranty. Theres a code on the side of it so you dont need a receipt. :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
diggit said:
Jaros said:

It's got a 2 yr warranty. Theres a code on the side of it so you dont need a receipt. :Y:

Unfortunately its probably 3-4 years old at this point smoky. Which is maybe 20 or so half days use in total... I dont get out much due to work/family commitments.

Yes I'm a little salty as I've mostly always used minelab and usually their stuff is fine but on this occasion it was total :poop: :poop: :N: :mad:

Latest posts