Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
diggit said:
Smoky bandit said:
diggit said:
Jaros said:
Wht didn't you send it back for a replacement or a refund?

I didn't get out in the bush for about six months after buying it. Then only got out a couple times in the next six months for a couple hours each time. By the time I realised for certain that it was a total lemon I had it over a year and had lost the receipt.
It's got a 2 yr warranty. Theres a code on the side of it so you dont need a receipt. :Y:

Unfortunately its probably 3-4 years old at this point smoky. Which is maybe 20 or so half days use in total... I dont get out much due to work/family commitments.

Yes I'm a little salty as I've mostly always used minelab and usually their stuff is fine but on this occasion it was total :poop: :poop: :N: :mad:
Sorry mate I thought I read you had the profind 35 :) Yes I have read quite a few bad reports on the original profind.

diggit said:
Smoky bandit said:
diggit said:
Jaros said:

I didn't get out in the bush for about six months after buying it. Then only got out a couple times in the next six months for a couple hours each time. By the time I realised for certain that it was a total lemon I had it over a year and had lost the receipt.
It's got a 2 yr warranty. Theres a code on the side of it so you dont need a receipt. :Y:

Unfortunately its probably 3-4 years old at this point smoky. Which is maybe 20 or so half days use in total... I dont get out much due to work/family commitments.

Yes I'm a little salty as I've mostly always used minelab and usually their stuff is fine but on this occasion it was total :poop: :poop: :N: :mad:

Which model...

Had a PF25 that failed after a year.... Been through 3 PF35 and still not sure the latest is working as it should, but I am over it.

Still have the replacement PF25 and now about 3 years and still like it.

Have 4 or 6 others as well and while some are good, the PF25 I love on ground and the later Detexnix water proof unit I like alot.. Never worry about batteries. One of the best decisions yet..

Mind you I need a 100Ah Battery and a bank of 20 USB chargers... Detectors / Pinpointers / Phones / UHF / Headphones / Prosonic / etc...

Ded Driver said:
haha AM, you need a trailer with a Genset
do you have a love affair with pinpointers?? :lol: :playful:

Did have a love hate relationship...

Greatly under rated, few use them correctly and if I comment on a unit I like to do it from first hand experience... And my comments are usually about the Technical / hardware / electronics. As that is factual while how well it works is often way to subjective and subject to bias.

Cheep are cheep for many reasons, the expensive ones tend to add 50% for brand name with little extra functionality. Mid range units offer the best vale for your dollars but even then, when they make for under $5 or $10 users are still getting a raw deal.

OH as to a gen set... Not yet but soon. When you head out and have two people with you... Just look at the AMPS every one needs for their phones and smart watches and then add in all the detector battery charges etc. etc. Camping or a trip is more about how you power every thing (Fridge is a given / so is coffee machine lol) rather than cloths or fishing / detecting gear...

People stop living if their phone goes flat :)

AngerManagement said:
diggit said:
Smoky bandit said:
diggit said:
Jaros said:

Which model...

Had a PF25 that failed after a year.... Been through 3 PF35 and still not sure the latest is working as it should, but I am over it.

Still have the replacement PF25 and now about 3 years and still like it.

Have 4 or 6 others as well and while some are good, the PF25 I love on ground and the later Detexnix water proof unit I like alot.. Never worry about batteries. One of the best decisions yet..

Mind you I need a 100Ah Battery and a bank of 20 USB chargers... Detectors / Pinpointers / Phones / UHF / Headphones / Prosonic / etc...

Hey A.M.

My dud is a PF25

Contact Nenad from phase technical as he has a few models and brands.

Every unit has pros and cons. Some tricks you need to know but it also depends on the Detector VS pin pointer.

Some do not work so well together... but lots of ways to skin a cat.

AngerManagement said:
Contact Nenad from phase technical as he has a few models and brands.

Every unit has pros and cons. Some tricks you need to know but it also depends on the Detector VS pin pointer.

Some do not work so well together... but lots of ways to skin a cat.

will chat with Nenad about them.
Cheers AM :Y:

I also had problems with my minelab pro find. when switched it on it would beep twice, then nothing. The light was on but nothing else. often it took four or five attempts before it would work. sometimes it would start beeping continually with no metal around, even if the sensitivity was turned down. I sent it back to minelab and it was returned unrepaired. Their service report stated, No fault found. No repair/ customer misunderstanding.Unit conforms to manufacturers specifications. So I was stuck with it. Later, it developed a noticeable rattle in it when handled. I was so sick of it by then I pulled the battery holder out of it to see what the rattle was. A round silver electrical component fell out which had been stuck in with glue that had obviously melted at some stage,and also two wires attached to it were broken, By then it was out of warranty. So don't expect too much if you send yours back.

Wiley coyote.

I had a couple fail, from the first batch. But since then I understand there has been some improvements...

My current PF35 seems to perform well except for when I really need it. But until I can get the fault to happen on demand, it will stay with me. As a Tec I hate these faults but also understand that it can happen.

Mine will on occasion power up OK, and then after finding a target - never stops beeping, until it is turned off. Have a job on next week and have been testing it every day for a few goes... PERFECT. 5 Min after on the job site = it could fail... If so, straight to ML / Miners Den and they can replace it.

If you are interested and ML have declined to come to the party, I am happy to have a quick look... If that silver bit is still available, even better.

Ded Driver said:
hey AM, I havent bothered getting a pinpointer to date, as I hear & read a fair bit of negative feedback across most brands & types, & its put me off.
But .... I am considering getting a Deteknix Xpointer
Whats your thoughts on them?

Hi Ded Driver

Ive got the Deteknix Xpointer
And Ive found it to be a great pin pointer over the past 3 years very sensitive and great on coils, Im not exactly sure how good it is on sub gram nuggets but if thats what your wanting it for I can try it out on some for you.
Mine is the original Xpointer so its not the waterproof ones.
Hope this helps in some way.

Cheers Hoggy

goldtrapper said:
Does anyone know of a pinpointer that will detect a coin down to 8"
Cheers, Goldtrapper.

How big is the coin..

5c or a cartwheel penny and is it flat or on its edge, mineralised soil or wet salty sand.

Way too many variables, but am sure the Weekend Prospector and his JayCar pinpointer could do it :lol:

PS. Air tests are not a true reflection on performance.

goldtrapper said:
Whites TRX only goes 3"-31/2" on $2 and 4" on penny.
I would like 6"-8" on a $2 coin. :D

6" to 8" possible on wet sand if used correctly and the right Pinpointer. The first Xpointers were that good :)

6" to 8" on a $2 coin in soil = Tell him he is dreaming :)

DALE DUG A HOLE. TELL EM DALE and then THIS IS GOING STRAIGHT TO THE POOL ROOM because it would be a keeper...

Hi Anger Management.Thanks for the offer to fix my minelab pinpointer, but I threw away the component that fell out of it. I'm thinking of getting the type that Nenad sells. wiley

Latest posts