A powerful message about technology and social media

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good message but I feel both can co-exist quite easily and in fact can be beneficial. The most important friends to me I still see every week except for the ones who are far away, yet I still get to be closely attached due to the ease of communication that technology has to offer.

I mean I love being outdoors and I do it fairly regularly most of my great memories are from being outdoors yet some of my greatest are chatting with friends over Skype, playing internet games or just being able to gain opportunities such as learning skills and meeting people using various services like this forum.

I do feel like a lot of people do waste away with technology but I still think there is a positive in certain things it provides.

Tho that just my opinion and I guess the main point of the video is to empathise not to waste the time you have.

But the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time at all.

Cheers

One aspect of prospecting I enjoy is that most times I have no phone reception where I prospect. That can be a great feeling!

The argument of better or worse hmmmm. Pretty fantastic opportunities available using the net/smartphones. I'm a recovering FB daily user, in fact the last six months has seen me rarely log up, social media can def suck your life away. I'm sure glad these opportunities were available while i ran my business though, very helpful. I'm much more concerned about the children coming through that will see this type of interaction as the norm though, that's a very slippery slope. We live in interesting times.

Cheers Nugget, will be passing on to teachers. Was suppose to have a copper come to the school to talk about just that subject yest (in response to some poor relationships developing between students) but she didnt show, kids here are pretty scary - NOT.

I must say there is nothing more annoying than watching people accessing social media at all the wrong times, crossing the road, driving, whilst at a restaurant with the company of REAL friends, even teenagers messaging each other whilst sitting right next to each other.

It's nothing more than an addiction, just as are things like poker machines, drugs etc, and there is withdrawal associated with it. I chose not to resort to social media, as I personally see it as a thinly veiled concept of personal information collection for people with other motives at hand - if you have to use the technology, use it sparingly and stay in control. 270 friends on facebook means nothing in the real world, treat them as contacts rather than friends, with no feeling of obligation to share every living second of your life with them. It's sad when the only posts you see on facebook are "friends" sharing their facebook game scores, hoping that someone actually gives a hoot, or to recgonise that you are still alive in cyber world. Sad indeed.

I still believe that age related bans should be place on any child under a certain age from owning or using mobile phones or tablets, under the premise that parents need to know every move their child makes, with continuous contact. In today's paranoid world, parents are heavily marketed such devices, when they should in fact live their lives growing up as any child would in previous decades. Yes there is a time and place for such technology, but it should be strictly controlled, and not be used as an excuse for bad parenting.

One classic example I remember in Adelaide, is the woman who was pushing a pram along a pathway near the Torrens river. She stopped to text friends, left the foot brake off, and within seconds the pram was on its way into the river, completely oblivious to the mother. Fortunately it was caught in time, but ultimately the blame from the mother went to the Adelaide council for not having appropriate fencing along the river to prevent such a tragedy.

To think she had the gall to put the blame on anyone else but herself is just crazy, when it was plain and simple, bad parenting, nothing more. How could a parent possibly put texting a friend a priority over caring for her child is beyond me??? :mad:

Twitter, well I simply wouldn't touch that with a 40 foot barge pole. :rolleyes:

interesting that you have come across this nugget. ive recently been sharing my perspective on this topic exactly on my fb itself.

ive only ever owned 1 smart phone and 1 year into my 2 year contract I accidently ran over it in a loader and crushed it beyond repair.
devestated at first but the posatives didn't take long to appear. I started noticing what the smart phone was doing to me and everyone else everywhere I went and all I seen was heads buried in 1. the more I observed this the more I realised the following....

when ever anyone seems to have nothing to do or are waiting for something they are plugged in...

the something to do becomes all some people do...

people are walking by people they actually know and not even see them because they are plugged in(airports and bus stops are the worste for this).

I don't think its social media that is the actual problem it is the smart phone that allows access 24/7. what I did to change this for myself was bought the cheapest phone I could get and a netbook wich STAYS AT HOME.

I am a techy and love my tech but some tech has gone beyond its pourpose so I am trying to go backwards and is why I don't use a metal detector.

social media is a form of control...to understand exactly what I mean by this watch the MATRIX trilogy a few times.

facebook is the MATRIX!! :cool:

I believe that sleep is the best time to heal and every electronic device in the room should be turned off while doing so. I believe when a phone signals a message i person needs to know who it's from, if they have received a message while asleep i think it will affect sleeping patterns even if it does not wake you up your brain will stay at a higher wave length. The worst part about technology is the fact when the sun sets your brain starts getting ready for sleep releasing melatonin and if your sitting in front of a computer till 10 at night which is hard not to, this will affect your deep sleep cycle, for you are telling your brain to stay awake when it is trying to wind down. I think sleep is one of the greatest things effected by technology

I've never been on facethingy or that twit thingo, social media is a contradiction, it's really really anti social. The new opium for the masses.

I have to agree that the new lectric puter thingys has destroyed family life as it should be... get a kid in the car and all they do is fiddle with their wizbang contraptions.. no talking, no communication no nuthin.....when was the last time you saw kids outside on xmass day playing??? Nup, inside playing with cyberspace...
Heatho said:
I've never been on facethingy or that twit thingo, social media is a contradiction, it's really really anti social. The new opium for the masses.

There are dangers with all technology, but also incredible advantages. I think that once people realise (not just the young ones too) that the social media is a supplement to life we may be better off. It certainly has its place for keeping in contact for those at a distance but, yes, I agree that at the moment we seem to have taken a backward step (as we did when mobile phones finally shrank to pocket size but people learnt how to use them appropriately - I think/hope). I do not use FB but see its advantages. I do not use and see little advantage to things like Twitter but still there are some - although I fear the disadvantages/dangers may outweigh the advantages at present.

is it a sad thing that social media is taking over so many lives,or the fact that someone has had to make a clip to remind us of the fact.?
its an ever changing world, do we need to adapt?
A great man once said " I have a better chance of finding a dodo mating with a unicorn, than i would getting any sense out of someone whilst their on facebook".....................dwt 5min ago.......................... :lol: :lol:

I have 5 Facebook friends I need more :8

be_my_friend.gif

Another problem is that i think for alot of people technology is becoming more Fun than life itself, especially for children. Give a 10 yr old a mobile phone for there birthday and see there face light up, they can then call there friends for an an absolute sh#t reason just because they want to use it. Give them a playstation and you wont see them again untill meal time

Goldpick said:
I must say there is nothing more annoying than watching people accessing social media at all the wrong times, crossing the road, driving, whilst at a restaurant with the company of REAL friends, even teenagers messaging each other whilst sitting right next to each other.

I'm really glad this was brought up as it's been a real issue for me as a parent of a 14 year old. I don't know exactly how or when it's going to happen...5 years, 10 or 20 years but, something really bad is going to happen to us. People.

It's been getting worse the past few years but, hit home recently. Back in Dec. before my wife passed away we had all her family come from all over Australia and the world. We were all going to watch a movie together and have a good time. I get the movie set up and every person...EVERY person (including 2 little kids) had there head stuck into there phone or Ipad. I sat there and looked at my wife in here hospital bed. And looked at every person slowly. 10 seconds...30...a minute.

Everyone knew she only have a few months left and this was probably one of the last times everyone would be together but, that what was important to them. Decency of the human spirit?

I finally yelled out...are we ready...after 2 minutes! However, I felt like saying what I said above to make them feel like Sh t poop.

It's a bit like Wall-E the movie. People won't know how to interact and we'll all be doomed somehow.
Sadly...I'm ranting on this in a social media forum...god help us all!

At least on a forum you don't feel as compelled to answer back to a post or pm, or as least I don't. I'll do it when I'm ready, and at an appropriate time.

That is sad Gold Billyen, I guess some people feel the only way to deal with sorry, grief, or day to day life, is by burying themselves in their electronic device to escape the situation. That's a pretty good indication that people are fast losing their social skills in the real world by losing themselves in cyber world - why, becuse it is there, handy, and portable. :(

That is why as a prosepcting community, we are so lucky. Real world challenges out in the fresh air with beautiful surrounds, excerise, real life experiences, and comradeship with our fellow enthusiests. As soon as that mobile signal drops out, you know you are going somewhere special. :)

Goldpick said:
That is why as a prosepcting community, we are so lucky. Real world challenges out in the fresh air with beautiful surrounds, excerise, real life experiences, and comradeship with our fellow enthusiests. As soon as that mobile signal drops out, you know you are going somewhere special. :)

Tuena was great. Gold and no bars on the phone. Gold bars would have been nice though.

Latest posts