12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever wondered how well your hearing frequency range is - as we get older we tend to lose part of our frequency range, typically the human hearing frequency range is from 20-20000hz - the below link is a tone generator - Its not a scientific rigorous test but will provide a clear indication

You simply move the slider bar to the left at 1hz - then press the play button and slowly slide the slider to the right until your hearing no longer can detect the frequency range.
http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Minelabs detector frequency output range is circa 75-1200Hz

My cutoff is roughly 17434Hz - I turned volume up to 80% after I get past 15000Hz, my headphones are frequency compatible for this range 20-20000Hz - when I slowly move back to 17000Hz that high pitch is noticeable I think the higher is being taken over by outside noise. Takes a lot of concentration when you get to the higher end, when you are at your cutoff limit this is the fine line of concentration that I take in the bush - its not much but that little change should become noticeable to all prospectors.

I tested the tone level Hz where I usually have my detector tone setting - some people like the deeper sound at the lower end of the frequency range, I tend to have mine above half on my detector.

Pretty interesting for those wanting to fill in 5 minutes. Post your comments here on your tests

Turn it around , I would call that one thumbs up mate ! anyway well done again M.G...Please keep them coming so great to see what your doing just wish I had the time.

Cheers

Dear MG,
I have noticed from the photograph showing your detector, that you wind the coil lead all the way up the detector shaft; meaning,
I have read in many instances to take the coil lead straight up the shaft without bending or 'wrapping around' the shaft until approximately half way up, and then commence to wind or wrap the lead.
This has been the advice to 'avoid interference and loss of signal, etc.' and has been promoted, quite a few times, as the best practice.
If you would quickly comment on this please.
On behalf of all - thank you MG.
Steven

G'day MG

Once again great detail in your finds and well done on them concrats mate.
Did the frequency test,by the way thanks for that,12502HZ cut off the old manufacturing days are catching up with me i think.
Not to bad though.
Stay safe out there ya self and have a great weekend.Don't forget ya water and bug spray.

Greatly appreciated on the post once more
Thanks mate

Hi MG just did the frequency test interesting I did it with headphones and tested each side separately till i lost the tone left side 4018 hz right 5301 hz now will have to find out what that all means lol . By the way great posts as usual have just spent the last 2 hours catching up with your post work interferes with prospecting time lol keep it up the books looking good .

Hi PPete
do you get a similar result through your computers speakers?
Thats a little less than most people would get i think.
I get a reduced result on my right ear due to too many hours spent as a youth on a rifle range with crap hearing protection

no I didn't use the pc speakers as i know that my hearing is not what it should be resulting from being a competitive swimmer as a kid and also like you big guns no cover as well as being in construction all my life hasn't helped

Could hear from 3 hz up to 18000.
With head phones. :)
3/4 volume.
With detecting I do prefer to lift the tone a few notches as
I can hear high pitched better than low.
Thanks for that. At least my hearing is not stuffed from load music
in my Teen years. :rolleyes:

Tathradj said:
Could hear from 3 hz up to 18000.
With head phones. :)
3/4 volume.
With detecting I do prefer to lift the tone a few notches as
I can hear high pitched better than low.
Thanks for that. At least my hearing is not stuffed from load music
in my Teen years. :rolleyes:

Excellent Tathradj - same here my tone while detecting is more on the higher side. The way the signal and tone response is interpreted and sent to our ears helps to all - as we know all hearing varies.

Good work.

stevewilko said:
Dear MG,
I have noticed from the photograph showing your detector, that you wind the coil lead all the way up the detector shaft; meaning,
I have read in many instances to take the coil lead straight up the shaft without bending or 'wrapping around' the shaft until approximately half way up, and then commence to wind or wrap the lead.
This has been the advice to 'avoid interference and loss of signal, etc.' and has been promoted, quite a few times, as the best practice.
If you would quickly comment on this please.
On behalf of all - thank you MG.
Steven

Hi Steven,

thats correct, I coil the lead from the very bottom of the shaft all the way to the top without any slack or movement, fixing the lead so there is no movement at all. The only interference received is from the very top where the lead is fixed to the control box, if bumped or moved then it will warble only when touched.

After my early days and having the lead loose in some spots would cause interference - this is why I always have it secure, fixed and tight so it doesnt wobble anywhere all the way up.

My detector hums pretty nice and quiet most days unless I am near property or high voltage lines. And then get the odd interference - the usual EMI from potential thunderstorms/lightning

As for loss of signal?? - do you mean? eg, 0.3g at 2 inches having my lead like this it wont find, but if the lead was straight up the shaft then the 0.3g would be detectable??

Seems to have never caused issue's over the many years, and still find small gold at great depths. But in saying this if it did affect slight depth from mm or possible even 1 inch - then if the findings show depth reduction then over the years this would have caused issues on every single part of the ground I have walked.

the only way I could really provide an accurate response to this would be to test the machine with various targets at depth - see how the machine behaves in both scenarios - straight coil lead and coiled all the way up shaft. Record and document my findings

I would test it with a flat board, with targets buried - to ensure that the swing and height is controlled for the targets on all instances

If you have any links or literature regarding the advice you have read or seen promoted - that would be great for all people who continue to read the thread. Any testings or findings that people have recorded or documented in detail

Good one

Regards M.G

Metal detectors only reproduce audio frequencies up to about 3khz. That's why you really don't need headphones that reproduce higher freqs for detecting, such as Grey Ghost headphones, they only have a frequency response of 200hz-3.2khz. Absolutely useless for listening to music but perfect for detecting.

Check out equal loudness contour graphs, they show you how the human ear perceives audio in relation to frequency v's DBSPL. Most people can here 2khz at -10db for instance but to hear say 80hz the SPL (sound pressure level) needs to be about 50 DBSPL, human hearing is non linear.

Hi All,

Just updating thread to let you all know after having 6 days away from the fields - I will be heading out tomorrow and over this weekend coming. I will be sure to update and post any findings.

I have been advised today from a well known source of potential quartz specimen gold containing 10oz gold within their finds. It puts that belief into the memory bank of the possibilities within the area. In all of my years have never heard of such finds in that particular area. Again we all know to dig and verify but that extra information adds to the potentials of what could be.

Where to start for this quartz specimen - again much time and persistence, study up and see what can be narrowed down.

Will I find it over the next coming days - no but that little piece of solid information is to pursue the avenue in the coming weeks.

Tomorrow and over the weekend looking to venture out to my previous finds.

The specimen quartz piece is on my list with more quartz than gold, and has never been ticked off - I think having goals and achievements in gold detecting is a good thing to have, whether it be - 1 gram, 1oz, heaviest nugget, lightest nugget, crystalline gold, variations of gold specimen in host rock etc

All people have their own approach on goals - some say dont set goals in gold detecting, many of my goals have been ticked passed and new goals added. Some goals still remain but with the determination that one day this may get ticked off, and if it never gets ticked off while others keep getting surpassed and added then its all worth it,

I see that a guy finds gold in the KG scale - and he says well I dont know what more I can achieve I will never pass this size, and from that day on he finds a few grams here and there and just the usual stuff or mid to small size gold. Adding this I feel is great yeah he may have smashed his biggest nugget and may or may not ever exceed that size in his lifetime, he may never exceed that in the next 1000 nuggets he finds, but I am sure he can keep adding other goals - It works us towards what possibilities can be achieved.

I know of a person who found a large piece of gold, and the next few months was only finding gram size to 26 grams here and there, this was driving him to the point he always thought that he should be able to find the 180oz pieces more often. And called it quits on prospecting.

Even if you only find 0.3g its is very rewarding to pull out even the slightest of color, we all dig our fair share of junk why not some color in between. I will always say well even if it is 0.3g for the day then hey that is still adding to one of my goals - which is total weight. If you dont have the goal it still adds to your total finds.

All about the money he say's - well not me its all about the story of that one little 0.3g piece that you found walking 1.5km into the bush, where you found it, memories on the way, ground type found. Every little piece of material you document on each find adds to that very special memory of your little 0.3g piece and can be remembered for as long as you wish.

Thats why I document my finds and every little detail, so when that day arrives when I can no longer. I know that I can pass this info down through the generations and keep a potential legacy going on from where I left off. No one else may know of this but the person who I pass the information down to will surely have a life of fun in the fields.

Another guy that I was talking with today is also a very renowned gold buyer, passionate gold prospectors over many years ago and a wealth of knowledge, which he shares lightly, but it is more arrogant of us to ask - you know the type of conversations, you talk but never ask location in specifics. He tells me that when he use to go out to a certain area in the GT it was strange because he only ever found gold from Grams to 12oz and then from 30oz and above but never in between. Ouch how dare him say this, almost like he was annoyed not to get in between 12oz to 30oz - all this was said with pure happiness but the thoughts I had when he told me this, yeah like I would be annoyed.

After this one I mentioned to him of a 120oz nugget and how it was actually found without a detector - location area divulged not specific location, do you know what his reply was, he held his hand out like you are making a shape and he said yeah 120oz thats only that big though. And my reply was hah only that big though.

The amount of gold this person has found, seen, brought and sold over the years would be quite amazing to see.

I also want you all to know that we all hear and read many stories, but the stories mentioned here are first hand with the prospectors and not derived from stories of a guy who knows a guy who told me that this bloke that has a cousin who's friend found a piece of gold.

Anyway - off again tomorrow and hope to make some good additions to the thread, and if no yellow I wont be shy to not say that I didnt find any. I will tell you I dug 90 holes and not one had the yellow but they were all potential targets because the detector told me.

Good luck to all - anyone in hunt for their first piece that reads this - I wish you all the best and hope you hit your first yellow this weekend. And to all not getting out it will still be there next time you head out.

Your attitude is pure gold in its self MG, let alone the collective knowledge you have gained through research on and off the field.
So many on this forum a greatful to you for your honesty, integrity and willingness to share your wealth of experience.
Thank you, cheers Steve :)

Thanks again for the last few posts Minelab Gold - i just caught up.

I'm one of those people who can only get to a gold field 4 or 5 times a year but when there I stay for a fortnight and detect up to 10 hours a day. Concentration does lapse a bit but sometimes you feel you go into automatic pilot until a different sound pulls you back down to ground level.

Good luck tomorrow.

Good luck MG.
I won't be out again until just after Christmas , so jealous as hell. I'll look forward to your posts which helps satisfy the itch ...... just knowing others are out their finding gold motivates me even more to get back out there. Cheers

That was a good write up mate thanks for sharing...My eldest son House Removalist has talked to many people about Gold Prospecting, he moved a Middle aged man from a Property in Warrandyte which sold for 1.5 million dollars into a property a little smaller which he bought for $1.2 million dollars...
The story from this man was that his grandfather owned the property and when he died it was handed over to his father and then to him, he said his Grandfather found large nuggets and kept it secret and never told a soul, this was before any news of a Gold Strike in the area so when news got out he had already acquired a large stash of Gold. The guy that my son moved said he still had some nuggets that were left to him and that he wouldn't want to sell then because of there significance.
Don't recall if my son got his name I will have to ask him.

Back again from a few hours in the fields.

Thought to share some of my findings in the bush with you all again, well instead of traveling back to the area which I was intending to go today and over the weekend, I thought to stay local and go to a spot over the many years have proven to produce a good result if you manage to hit a target. Some days spend hours on not one single target - today started like one of those days as I walked through the old workings, across some mullocks into the lows and high spots.

As I continued along the line of workings cross cutting as I looked left and right on which part of the ground looked like it needed to be swung over, not with any real plan in mind just to be out there was good enough after having 6 days away from the fields.

The ground where I started extremely noisy - you know the type of ground that is highly concentrated with the marble size ironstone pebbles and then you hit the patches where the ironstone pebbles are like buckshot size and the coil starts to get extreme no matter how hard to balance we still push through. Well I kept battling with the constant noise but after a while you get the rhythm your focus and concentration level becomes heightened. I walked across this section up onto a mullock swinging extremely slow from left left left to right right right - long sweeps much like a side walking motion rather than swing left swing right. And maintaining that height as good as I could, as we all know even the slightest movement up ad down on these little pebbles sends false signals, not like ground noise just the pure sake that this ironstone is super red hot ground.

And there we are hit that signal that pulled me up - definitely higher than anything that was heard after battling the hot stuff - this was much hotter indeed. Now when you look at these images I want you all to look really close - I wanted to take the images in order of zooming so you can all see the detail in the ground and the piece of gold found, where it was sitting undisturbed for all of these years since it was pulled up onto the mullock from a miner. These things are pretty hard to find and that is another ticked off on the list.

1. In this first image is the grounds - area that this target was found - very interesting find this one

1481277078_pic_0013.jpg

2. And here we go - look at these 3 images really slowly and try to see what you can find if you cant see in the first images eventually it will come to light - just take it slow and focus on what is sitting on the top of the ground. Dont skip to the next lot of images if you dont need to - if you cant see the target then by all means proceed to the next lot of image

1481277093_pic_0014.jpg

1481277104_pic_0015.jpg

1481277115_pic_0016.jpg

3. If you didnt see it in the first lost of images - check this out - couldnt believe it sitting right there water washed by the rains and bright as ever - I did not disturb the gold in its situation so you could all see the sands dirt how it was lodged in the top - and over the wet seasons how the water has washed the sands away to show the gold. The pics turned out better than I thought with the focus.

1481277125_pic_0017.jpg

1481277138_pic_0019.jpg

1481277149_pic_0020.jpg

1481277166_pic_0022.jpg

Nothing else from in and around that area that jumped out as a potential dig target - many hot sounds as you can see by the minerals on top all around that it is that small little ironstones that give us some grief.

So I ventured on as we do again with no real plan in mind just enjoying the few hours out there, that was the first and only target dug within 1 hour - a few breaks in between. As I walked along more I noticed another vehicle and people standing roadside on the dirt track near my vehicle - there was a couple of tourist prospectors further up the hill in a parked area when I first arrived. I also noticed a 4x4 pull up right at the back on my car talking with these tourists.

The 4x4 is a guys I have met a few times while out prospecting, so I thought to go over and have a chat to break up the monotony of 2 hours with only 1 target. When I arrived a man was walking away lady walking about 10 meters away swinging a SDC2300 and the guy I know was walking towards me to have a quick chat, he left moments after and I thought to go and introduce myself to the tourist prospectors - the guy I couldnt see where he went so I introduced myself to the lady. How uncanny is this out of all of the millions of people and thousands of prospectors would I have ever thought that I would run into someone so random in the bush with her story.

Firstly she started saying how good the GP3500 machine is what I use - she told me her husband use to use that machine and swore by it, and she even said Double D etc - this lady indeed knew her stuff, the detector has a side protection cover and she knew straight away I was using the GP3500 just from visually looking at it - she was about 5 meters away when we were talking. And thats where she talked about gold finds she has had recently and better yet this is so awesome - she is the wife of Kevin Hillier - the founder of The Hand Of Faith - lovely lady and great conversation - what are the odds of this happening while you pick to stay local and go to a certain area. Pays to chat to many people just never know what stories you may come across and who you are meeting.

Anyway after that I continued back to the area where I was originally detecting and picked a nice flat section off the side of the main workings, very flat no signs of rocks on surface, really just top soils, heaps of grass weeds etc, but on each side of this area it almost wrapped around where I was detecting, a lot of conglomerate type rocks, small large, ironstone country, but flat with no visual surface rocks. When you look at the grounds you can tell that it would continue under but to what depth I wouldnt know. Just that I could see a red clay section on the side further down.

As I started the machine up - and within 20 minutes I hit a very small signal - this area was super quiet after battling the red hot ironstone pebbles and ironstone surface area's - so my concentration after that hot ground and going to super quiet with only that hum that we love to hear, was at its best for any little sound that the detector could interpret, and there it was a very faint little sound - repeatable signal. Lets scrape this one and see. You know when you scrape an area and when you are in the grounds that have proven to give you gold so many times, and when you get the 1 inch off the top you just have that feeling it is gold for sure, and then every inch or 2 you take away you keep watching the ground and layers what you are digging through, then eventually you see the rocks, gravels, and then you see some red clay to one side and the rocks and gravels look to be in a little pocket, they are the holes we love - well its probably not that often that the hole is exactly like I explained but it was in this hole, and we have had many like it so good to say this is Gold.

4. Let take a look at the progression holes, again took my time unearthing this to capture some images for you all. In these images you can see the scrape - was some charcoal but that was moved straight away - and the second image is looking away from the hole to show you no workings just the flat bush area, directly behind me is about another 40meters of flat area before the line of workings start - so that area will also be worth swinging all the way back and along side the workings towards the red clay area. Nice and shallow
1481278878_pic_0023.jpg

1481278891_pic_0024.jpg

5. In these progression images you can see the very light top soil dirt was maybe 6 to 8 inches - very light powdery dirt. And slowly started to see more rock as I got to the 6 inch level
1481279040_pic_0025.jpg

1481279050_pic_0026.jpg

1481279065_pic_0027.jpg

1481279075_pic_0028.jpg

1481279091_pic_0029.jpg

1481279103_pic_0030.jpg

1481279117_pic_0031.jpg

1481279130_pic_0032.jpg

1481279146_pic_0034.jpg

6. I was using that pointy end of the pick for each layer - and when I knew the target wasnt too far - I noticed the pick hit some clays - red clay with all of these mixed together was a good indication of Gold - In these images you can see a section of the Red Clay buldged up because I left that in the hole by scraping all around to break to soils and rocks away from the hole as I progressed further. In the first image see on the left of the hole, then as you follow it across to the right side of the hole, the clay raises up and then the gravels caught lower on the right side.
1481279161_pic_0035.jpg

7. Target Out and in the pile - the last step I dug the target out in chunks jut to ensure that it was not hit with the pick
1481279179_pic_0036.jpg

8. That is the bottom of the hole after target removal - nice red clay level still with some gravels and see how the base is even and the previous image had the raised red clay with the pocket of gravels. I should have cleaned the hole better look like some dirt fell back in.
1481279193_pic_0037.jpg

8. Depth of the hole - would be close to 11-12 Inches
1481279536_pic_0038.jpg

9. Target in the hand - we all love this part - finally getting to see the target - gold or not either way its pretty exciting
1481279571_pic_0040.jpg

10. Nice little piece - just goes to show sometimes walking away and coming back to the area has rewards - maybe I missed another piece from walking away, but making that decision to go and have a chat to come back to a slightly different spot - if those people hadnt arrived maybe no second piece of gold today. So thats just another story to add to the memory banks, its no hand of faith - but its in my hand and I certainly have always had faith. What are those odds
1481279851_pic_0041.jpg

1481279993_pic_0043.jpg

1481280005_pic_0044.jpg

11. Returned home, cleaned 1 piece because the other was already rain washed - good to be back out there and prevailed with some color.
1481280063_pic_0045.jpg

1481280074_pic_0046.jpg

I left out that between these targets I found a nail as well. 3 targets for the day - or roughly 3 hours of detecting.

I hope you all like this post and will definitely be back out at my other spot over this whole weekend.

Also I have been thinking of a new thread for you all to enjoy and have some fun with, I will be working on it hopefully tomorrow when I am out in the fields, a lot of thought is going into it to try and make it a really good thread for all. When I have created and posted - I will also share the link name on this thread as well for you all. Hopefully you are all able to steer some people towards it and make it really kick along.

Enjoy your weekend - Happy Hunting

Once again MG another goldden day for you and another great detailed post concrates mate.

Like the lady you met yesterday must have been a great pleasure as i meet an older fellow last week who had a 63oz mould nugget
he showed me that come from a 210oz patch,back in the 80's,and the stories he told are very inspiuring along with this great thread
of yours to learn to have great fun with this great hobby.

Really looking forward to the new thread and have a great day in the bush

Cheers mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts