⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used a 4500 yet but I probably will get one as well eventually. With the right coil + settings combination it's capable of finding just about all the same gold I've found with the SDC and more -- with the exception of a few of the nuggies which I've found underwater.

One of the main reasons I opted for the SDC over the 4500 was because up where I am in FNQ most the gold I find is in creeks/rivers. Also for the fact that it folds right down and into my backpack allowing me to hike into remote locations.

I think though the fact that you've found a few tiny bits means you know how to use the detector, which means it's more about location in your case. All I can suggest is to try new locations and be as thorough as possible, try and think outside the box in terms of where to put the coil. Many of the nuggets I've found I only got by moving rocks and/or branches and in some cases breaking & raking back the top layer of soil. Also when it comes to creeks, quite often the heavier nuggets are in surprising locations, not where most would expect.

Persevere and I'm sure you'll pull out bigger ones than I eventually! ;)

Been a while since Carol and I got out for a detect. Went back for a look at an old scrap that we had seen a few months back.
1572760112_bhp.jpg

The top 2 are Carol's with the bigger one going 3 grams as is. See what it looks like after a bath. I managed to find more than Carol but she beat me hands down on weight.

Cheers

Doug

steelPHASE said:
A good mate, who I usually go out detecting with, came over to weigh some gold he found yesterday. Not a bad effort from a lesser known Victorian Goldfield, and all on public ground.
He was using a GPX5000 with a smaller Evo coil, and of course, an sP01 enhancer.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...97_2414811855454226_2439307597518471168_o.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0_10157624392221655_8047972515961634816_n.jpg
that is a cracker nugget! :perfect:

Last week a mate and I headed out for 3 days to one of my spots, Gold Monster V's SDC.
Was a fun 3 days between showers and the end tally was Gold Monster = 240 bits for 4.18g cleaned and SDC for just on 2g but not sure how many bits he got, his average was bigger pieces but all my tiny ones added up on the scales :)

.and, all on very public land :perfect:

1573542445_dsc00191.jpg

1573542461_dsc00193.jpg

20xwater said:
An interesting bit I got this afternoon with the monster..
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1573559974_img_20191112_211915.jpg
All the ticks I collected off me, they are so thick and big I can feel them walking up my leg like a spider so made it easy to get them off before they sink Thier beak in ?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1573560279_img_20191112_214717.jpg

Nice, had a crack today for the first time :Y: nothing to report though.

PhaseTech said:
Pete, wow 240 bits for 4.18g, that's an average weight of 0.017g! That's a lot of digging, but 4g for three days is pretty good going.
Yep probably spent half the time on my knees which are still sore, need to invest in good knee pads for this area.
That larger pointy piece went .62g and almost got tossed out thinking it was a shard of steel, because you get used to expecting the same shape gold, just glad the brain was quick enough to question why that shard of steel hit strong on non ferrous and I took a close look. Most of that small stuff wouldn't register on my scales until there's a few bits on there.

20xwater, please tell me you weren't detecting in the GT when those creepy bloody Ticks were on you?

If you were then there's a GPX 5000 with some coils for sale as of now :awful:

The stuff of nightmares- Give me snakes anyday

Deepseeker said:
20xwater, please tell me you weren't detecting in the GT when those creepy bloody Ticks were on you?

That container is a bit disheartening hahaha! But all the gold finds restore the will to go out! Its always gives me confidence seeing people are still finding gold though

Deepseeker said:

na mate, Qld...your safe ?

Latest posts