⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nanjim said:
Rockhunter62,

That case might be a 22 Hornet

Sorry mate, no. "The one in the middle is rimless and a little larger than the .22 long rifle case and hollow." I would believe that the internal diameter would be about quarter of an inch/6mm. I can put the .22 case inside the tube.

I think that Megsy might be on the right track.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Hi folks,

Just a little quiz for you. Found this the other day and would like you to tell me what it is. The case on the left is a .303 case and the one on the right is a .22 long rifle case. The one in the middle is rimless and a little larger than the .22 long rifle case and hollow. There is a clover leaf stamp on the base. What is it.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7504/1542282234_cases.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7504/1542282255_end.jpg

Looking forward to the replies.

Cheers

Doug

Ok folks,

I am about 99.9% sure that the tube is a crimp seal to seal off your roll of safety fuse or detcord after you cut your desired length from the roll. This is to ensure that you do not get moisture to absorb into the black powder/petn cores. We used to use a tar mixture to seal ours in the RAAF. :bomb:

I hope that this has been helpfull if you find one of these in the outback.

Cheers

Doug

I looked for ages trying to find that, Doug, and eventually gave up. Glad you've resolved it.
It really was just a stab in the dark for me, guessing it was something to do with blasting.
Not sure where that came from - a lucky guess?! :playful:
Cheers,
Megsy

The specie I've been soaking in Alibrite is pretty much there now.
First pic is the specie as found and just cleaned with water, weighed 9.7g.
Second pic is after a few days soak and was going to leave it there but Bjay and a few other members suggested to keep soaking, glad I did as it's turned out really nice :Y:
Third and fourth pic's are as it is now.
1542496864_dsc09995.jpg

1542496978_dsc00109.jpg

1542497150_20181118_092452.jpg

1542497171_20181118_092756.jpg

I'll do one last soak to get rid of the tiny bits of quarts and end result I'm estimating will be around 6g of nice clean reef gold which will look great in my display case, there's probably around .5g of fines that have come off in the process but will mix in with some creek gold to make a button pendant and give to the wife on a chain :D

Oh OK..thanks Syndyne...

They seem to say acid ....

Thinking I will stick to the soapy water and toothbrush.

Goody :)

Well my small run from Wednesday has now turned into a patch :)
Found 4 more this morning, biggest just over 2g. All within 35 metres of wednesdays 7 :)
I can say that General/Normal on the 7000 with locate patch on is a thing of beauty!
I need to spend more time and find some bigger ones!
The smallest bit looks like flake gold.
?source nearby?....Might need to buy a pan :)
1542518185_18nov.jpg

Nothing Great said:
Great stuff kingswood I like hearing these good reports about the 7000 ;)

Was heading to ballarat yesterday to get one but gee whiz the more I read the more bad publicity I find :/

I cant for the life of me figure why everyone is so set against the machine when you see the great finds people such as yourself are getting with them.
I cant say one bad thing about the 7.
When you get the bungee and harness adjusted properly, its not even heavy. I have the bungee around the handle which I actually think gives better balance.
I run it thru a B&Z booster and got rid of the wireless idea...lead from detector jack to booster then to 2 speakers right near my ears. I run the volume at 6-8 on the detector and boost that so the threshold sounds stable. As its not PI, the threshold will never be as smooth as a GPX, but I can tell you that signals still come thru loud and clear! Even in normal, theres noise, but signals are still well defined. Normal is the bomb if you can use it!

Its actually $6500 changeover from a gpx4500. And that dont even get ya the 19 inch coil sadly.
Hence why I have been reading as much as I can. Its a big commitment.

I recently detected with a forum member who was kind enough to take me to a spot he had found many small nuggets, with some up to 6 grams.

He was thinking of getting a Z and selling his GPX and wanted to see what he might have missed. He was using a 15 Evo.

I didnt get a single piece of gold from that area from 4-5 hrs of detecting and he got another 2 small bits.

With the right coil I dont think the GPX guys are missing much at all :Y:

Latest posts