⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bit of discussion around the fire with a couple of blokes on the weekends trip about whether I should soak my 9.7g "golden groper" from a recent trip, it's the specie in my avatar.
Anyway, got home on Monday and did a continuity test and it seemed all the gold was connected right through so decided to do a small soak in Alibrite, checked it last night (24 hrs) and only the tiniest bit of ironstone was staining the fluid so was happy to leave it another day.
Got home from work about an hour ago and poked it with a tooth pick in and the ironstone was starting to dissolve away so brought it in and gave it a light scrub with the tooth brush in a pan with water and the gold started to crumble with the ironstone........ :awful:
Going to leave it as is now as it appears the gold is in the ironstone and not the quartz.
The three pic's are showing either side and the end, will weigh it when it dries and probably try a specific gravity test at some stage, was hoping it would stay together but not to be.

1541571765_dsc00110.jpg

1541571785_dsc00111.jpg

1541571748_dsc00109.jpg

Maybe possible the iron stone was a conductor as well in your continuity test ,anyway still a great looking specie mate
Cheers Booney

I had the same thought Booney after I first did the test so did a re-test just to make sure before soaking but not a peep from the ironstone/ironstone or gold/ironstone.

Not a bad idea with the button BJ, when I bought my 4500 12 months ago I sort of promised the good wife the first decent nugget I find will get made into a pendant for her and she keeps eyeing off my display case but I keep saying they're not big enough for her yet, a button pendant with the fines from the specie and my small vial of creek gold would keep her happy and my future nuggets safe :perfect:

I'll soak for a bit longer then :Y:

Any unwanted gold send to goody@ :lol: :lol:

Good on you all that is finding the yellow stuff,

My pan should start to see some yellow soon I hope,

Goody :)

Latest posts