⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1513731301_2017-12-20_11.53.49.jpg

gasco29 said:
Hello, here is my biggest bit found with the ZED in 3 months of prospecting, really close to Kalgoorlie,
at a ridiculous depth of 4 inches :D, another five nuggets that big to find and the ZED will pay for itself :p
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7263/1513998606_img_32711.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7263/1513998999_img_32691.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7263/1513999114_img_32721.jpg

Nice chunk gasco. They sell us all these fancy machines to find more gold, bigger gold and deeper gold but in reality most of what we find could be pulled out with a $1200 detector if you could actually swing over it.

Maldon
So I went to Maldon Thursday stayed at the caravan park ( booked a cabin ) $70 a night :Y:
Nice and clean very friendly owner's :Y:
4 nugglets Thursdays arvo . 3 from the same hole :D
Another little one Friday morning before Narra arrived
1514069480_img_20171224_093903_823.jpg

Then back too the same hole as Friday with the Dry Blower . Put about 3 20 litre buckets through.
Maybe 1 hour
1514069644_img_20171224_093926_116.jpg

This area still needs another looking at :) as it was fresh ground :D
Friday arvo we had a few moves :| with no luck
I did get a nice strong signal beside a tree . I dug and dug seems to be under a big Root .
But in the excitement I got a bit close to the base of the tree at ground level :eek: and made contact with it 8.( 8.( :mad: ground was very hard so I was swinging pick pretty hard and CRUNCHED little finger ,Oh sweet Jesus :mad: :mad: Blood was running finger was Screaming .
At this point Narra was near by and came over to see what I was YELLING about.
I went back too the ute to wash away blood and have a look at damage . Smashed gash 1st knuckle 8.(
Narra kept working the target signal was strong hole now 500mm deep .
:mad: but signal dropped under the root very faint :eek:
Yer we worked out after a while the signal was the tree Root :( dam it !!! never had a tree give off such a good tone . We stopped in at Maldon gold centre had a chat with Rob (owner) nice Bloke :Y: If you're ever up that way drop in for a look they have a lot of (big boy toys :D ) Cool stuff .
Saturday morning after an hour or so I noticed the skid plate on GPZ was starting to wear through :( so Off to White hills miners den we go brought 2 new skid plates had a chat with Shane :Y: and were off again but no good near bendigo :(
Still was great to get out and about
I am planing another 2-3 dayer after the new year before I'm back at work on the 8th.
Peace to all and stay safe on the roads :Y:

BigWave said:
Some nice gold there dam it. Hope the finger is not giving you too much grief :eek:
FINGERS I have had some bad luck lately with fingers :(
Broken middle finger left hand a few months ago :mad:
Now mashed little finger right hand :mad:

Hi Shaun

Nice to see you getting a good run at Stuart Town . and cracking the + 1 grammer , i am yet to get anything bigger than 3 grams with my GPX 5000 and i am sure i have left targets behind when trying to discriminate in hot ground and the GPX just wants to do its best Iron Maiden impersonation.

I didnt pay off half the GPX yet so i am reluctant to reward myself with a Zed upgrade.

Syndyne said:
Hi all,

We just got back from our yearly couple of weeks swinging around the Stuart Town area of N.S.W. So I thought I'd post up a few photos and a bit of a story to go along with them.

It was really great catching up and spending time with Heatho, Reeks and Mbasko once again, also getting to meet Mr. and Mrs. SinHof. The weather was perfect, though we started out on the first week with a nasty cold that kept us fairly cabin bound for the most part. Not ideal, but it's that time of year. It was nice to be over it and back swinging in good health everyday.

It felt great to get back into the swing of things -no pun intended- as a year away from swinging makes you a little uneasy at first, (like starting from scratch!) though I was soon reassured on the very first few minutes after a full reset of the Zed due to an overload protection from accidentally switching it on in the house and then a general GB. I walked no more than two steps and I had a nice signal while still running in the Factory Presets. I dug down carefully to the 8" mark and out came a nice little 0.10gm nugget! I did put the Zed back into my current settings soon after which greatly improved things, though it was good to know it'll find the small ones pretty deep set in [FP]. Heatho called that nugget before I found it too! :lol:

It was great to see everyone getting nice gold here and there, even though our first week or two was looking pretty lean gold-wise, however we ended this one with a bang to say the least!

I can proudly say that I finally bagged my first nugget over a gram after twelve years of detecting on and off. It ended up weighing 1.6gm and was easily heard at a depth of 16''. This blew us away! Even with the module running on my general headphone volume of 11, we could hear the target while still un-dug. I initially thought it was at the 14" deep mark, but just doing a quick measure on the Fiskars scoop I realised they are actually twelve inches long? It was four inches deeper than the scoop when it was finally out of the hole. This makes me think I've underestimated most previous nugget depths? I always thought they were around eight or ten inches long? Not necessarily a bad thing though I guess. Haha!

My first ever nugget over a gram and the hole it came from :D

Picked up a nice Quartz Speccie while out swinging with Mbasko. This went 1.2gm, though I'm guessing it contains around 0.7 or 0.8 grams of gold? It's certainly a wonderful looking piece. Not a great photo as it's zoomed in a bit:

There were the usual and interesting old junk targets. The most surprising of which was a big, old 1860's key. This came out of the old diggings on the Stuart Town common. I also found the tip off of an old hand forged miners sinking pick. I'll bet he was annoyed when that broke away. I know how he would've felt as it happens to ours here on the opal too now and again.

It was also a nice surprise to pull two nuggets out of previously dug holes. One was already out of what appeared to be an old GPX hole. The Zed absolutely screamed on the target when I checked the dirt pile of yet another unfilled hole :rolleyes: but after thinking it was a .22cal bullet, I was somewhat surprised to find it was a nice little 0.2gm nugget. I thanked whoever it was for the easy gold and nicely re-filled the hole :Y:

The second nugget somebody missed was a little more surprising. The hole was a smallish square one of six inches wide by two inches deep, so I would almost be 100% certain it was an old SDC dig. To my relief, I knew it wasn't one of our old holes as our picks have rounded blades and won't dig square, making our holes look dished out nicely for the SDC coil. I waved the trusty Zed over the hole and the target was again very loud and unmissable! Figuring they left the target in the refilled dirt again, I cleaned the hole out back to a solid base, rechecked with the coil and was elated to hear it was still in the ground. I dug down to around 7" or 8" before the target was out in a nice lump of clay. After opening the clay this is what someone had left behind. It went 0.91gm:

Dad did well on the SDC, pulling a few nice little nuggets here and there, though he still had those days on the lead shot and minute rusty wire that you'd rather forget. He was right with me to see most of the bigger ones come out with the Zed though which was great and I'll never forget it.

I haven't got much of a photo of the 2.51gm in smaller nugs that we got in another area, only pictured on the scales:

And this is the total 16.09gm nuggets for the rest of the trip:

This ended up being our most successful trip to date as far as total weight and nugget size went. All up it was 18.6gm total and the best day was 4.14gm.

All in all a great trip away and I'm already looking forward to next year's trip! :Y:
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

EDIT for spelling/grammar.

Dam it .... did u get anything smaller with the dryblower or was that the total from 60litres.? Did u go south from Maldon.? Just before the dude farming emus and the massive trommel in his front yard there's a couple massive fresh, well, wouldn't call em holes, there turning into shafts. The area looks promising..and back up to porqipine flat/gully whatever it's called. Someone's worked f*** out of the old creek bed on the corner after the dredge.

No nothing small - small that was it just the 6 pieces :eek:
The roundish looking one is weird :/ Gold on one side and what don't look like Gold on the other . Have got a couple like this before ..still weird
All came from Gowan road (off Castlemaine-Maldon road ) :Y: BigWave knows were :D

Latest posts